It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investing in GOLD for the long term?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Gold pays significantly less investment returns than placing the same amount of money in an S&P DRIP fund by a large margin.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I've used sdbullion.com... no complaints.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So...the cities are in flames...businesses gone, no food, water, no banks, stores ...

And you your wife and kids got 20 onces of solid gold.

Ok. So ..you're going to use it where? There will be no place left to cash in.

Like buying survival property you're gonna run to...where "no one will find".

A deed, tax record yearly (of who owns the property)...and a zillion RING etc cameras watching you get there....with your gold...and ..

So?
edit on 12212631America/ChicagoThu, 30 Dec 2021 10:09:26 -060009202100000026 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Cities burn in flames for eternity you say?? The world you described, no stores, no banks, no supermarkets full of food or centralised distribution of water sound exactly like the world as it was when gold was a primary currency of exchange for humanity. In fact, that was the overwhelming majority of the USA not but 100 years ago today even.

How ironic that's your argument against storing gold. I suppose you believe that empty power vaccum just exists perpetually in densely populated areas ?? Law enforcement become the gangs methodically eliminating their competitors once the institutions that tied their hands previously suddenly disappear.

Once they take control over as much as they can without over extending their reach, they try to preserve as much of what once was , including the historically consistent accumulation of wealth. Everyone in history who attains control of trade and supply routes has always accepted and fought for gold as part of the basket of assets which end up utilised as currency. Salt , copper, silver, sugar, coffee, cure etc..

But one thing history seems to show, is nobody ever turns down gold. It can always be traded for food and supplies to the central power, be it small local warlords or royal monarchs. It's why trading posts are established, so the powerful folks in charge can get their hands on everything.

But your describing a scenario that is still centuries away from reality. With the current level of technological development the current global power brokers are in no danger if dissapearing overnight, only shifting balance. Only an extinction level event disaster, something technology just cannot control or stop, has any potential of bringing about the return of the old world we are only one hundred years disconnected from.

These events include: kinetical astral event (least manageable), global tectonic event (slightly more manageable) , untreatable high fatality biological event (COVID scamdemic does not even come close by any measure), alien colonization (open global warfare, manageability varies depending on motives and technological capabilities of the colonizers) or perhaps the sun not going supernova but behaving in a way that will alter the planet's climate for millennia to come. Outside of these scenarios, there is no danger of centralised power evaporating so swiftly that only food and water are viable currencies.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
I dont see gold as a investment its a baseline if gold is going up the currency your comparing it to is really just going down

Crypto is gambling but if your minning thats the best move you can make

The rv ... as someone who was a rv tech for one of the biggest rv rental company's in America get away from that

Circling back to crypto minning remeber eth minning will stop within a year or 2 ... but I dropped 1k on a card a couple months back and have already hit my roi it just depends on how you play it

Crypto mining is not stopping within a year or two.

Even after another 60 years or so, after all the new bitcoin has been mined, people will still be mining transaction fees.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob
How would one get actual psychical gold? And when it's time, how would you actually sell it or use it to barter?
Lot's of places sell what they call gold reserve certificates, yea that's just a piece of paper that you just got hoodwinked out of cash for.

This site is reliable. They will ship your gold in the mail and you can even sell it back to them, at a later date.

www.apmex.com...

As far as which type of gold to purchase goes, I recommend buying gold bullion that would qualify for a gold IRA. Basically certified minted bullion and government minted coins.

I advise staying away from investments that are collectable like old and rare coins.
edit on 30-12-2021 by IndieA because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doodle19815
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think I’m looking for a better way of keeping ahold of my money other than just letting it sit in the bank. The interest it will get there is minimal. If I threw a few gold coins/bars in my safe and pulled them out in 30 years, would it have been a wiser choice to have the gold, or the interest from the bank?
Obviously we don’t have crystal ball to see the future with. I’m just trying to make the best educated decision that I can.

You can count on gold still being in existence in 30 years.

The same can't be said about the dollar.

As far as which investment method is better, gold in 30 years will likely be worth far more than dollars earning little to no interest in a bank.

The inflation rate is higher than the interest rate any bank will give you.
edit on 30-12-2021 by IndieA because: Added info

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA
As far as which investment method is better, gold in 30 years will likely be worth far more than dollars earning little to no interest in a bank.

Who invests in dollars? That's almost as silly as dumping your money in gold. Neither pays a dividend.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Who invests in dollars? That's almost as silly as dumping your money in gold. Neither pays a dividend.

The question was asked as to which would yield more in returns, physical gold or money in a bank account, so I answered the question.

You may be right about money in a bank doing little to nothing, but at least it won't disappear completely, or potentially lose the kind of value investments with high risk have.
edit on 30-12-2021 by IndieA because: Added info

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Both silver and gold are good investments if you make friends with a local reputable coin store and buy the dips. Both have a serious amount of electrical, medical and military uses.

They are both heavily manipulated, so investing in them is banking on the forces doing the manipulation eventually failing long enough for you to sell and profit. Silver is so cheap you can have a pretty good amount ready for when that price jumps and you want to sell

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   

The question was asked as to which would yield more in returns, physical gold or money in a bank account, so I answered the question.

Both will not perform as well over time as an S&P top performer DRIP portfolio.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The real point to gold is in preservation of buying power, not dividends or interest yields. A used car in the fifties for example would have been but a couple hundred bucks, or perhaps an ounce or two of gold. Today, you need at least two thousand - four thousand to buy a similar quality of car. But the same one to two ounces of gold will still buy that same quality of car half a century later. This is the real allure and Power of gold and even silver bullion.

Now I agree with the Mason, if onenis trying to multiply your money, the Wall Street gamblers market is certainly more lucrative. I'm an amateur myself with a self directed 401k, but my account has turned over thirty percent for the last two years in a row. I switched then all over to cash funds right before Thanksgiving though and completely avoided the nasty corrections when the corporate terror op Omnicron went into effect. Now I have learned I can put that money into a larger variety of companies not just funds themselves.

Lithium mines, and lithium battery makers are going to be yielding huge for the next 3 years minimum. So is copper. So for anyone seeking to buy in the open market, research those companies. Zinc is still doing well too. The developing world needs it's plumbing fixtures too.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Gold is more for security.

It will protect you in case of another market crash or hyperinflation.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

While your post is true if the apocalypse happens, what if it doesn’t? What if the world keeps on turning and the globalist elites carry on for another couple hundred years? All my saved rice, beans, and plastic water storage tanks will be worthless by then. (I pass down survival education to my children. Priceless.)

I’m just trying to hedge my bets no matter which way the wind blows.

posted on Dec, 30 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

True. So gold would be more of a long term money holding type situation than a money making investment. I’m looking at it more like a strong and steady tangible investment. I could go buy more property but I’m tired of maintenance.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but heck, I am going to ask it anyway.

If just about everyone knows that gold will go up in value, even if it only means it is insulated against the ravages of inflation, then why would anyone who HAS gold, want to sell any of it? Why wouldn't they just keep it to make the money they are advertising that buyers would make off of it? Where are they putting their money that they got from that sale of gold?

Honestly, if SHTF happens, and I have a case of ammunition and you have a pound of gold you want to trade for it, I'll be keeping my ammunition, thank you very much. Offer me something of practical, useful value, under the current circumstances, and maybe we can work out a deal.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Rich Z

Your a loner, and not a shot caller. Shot callers have segments of a population to manage, requiring a basket of currencies to keep them loyal/in line. By all means, go to the trading posts and sell your ammo for whatever you want. They will gladly turn around and sell that ammo to someone else for gold in this fiction and unlikely end of days society.

Unless acts of earth or Cosmos end civilized institutions, you will continue to be tapping, swiping, clicking or paying with notes until old age. So do what you got to do. I have a enough single use straight razors for my own Lifetime and maybe for my kids. If your down in Central Florida in this fictional world wandering about, i keep batteries and band aids too.

Convenient consumables today are taken for granted. People will easily trade their own bodies for a little bit of it in the first year before they start dying and killing each other off. Just imagine what happens when the coffee and sugar stop being delivered, let alone the anti-depressants and pain killers. The simple things fools will kill for are the things they ingest daily without a care for the processing it takes and the global distribution it requires. Good thing I don't drink coffee. It's insane to see how mentally weak and unstable grown adults are without it now, let alone after the apocalypse.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doodle19815
True. So gold would be more of a long term money holding type situation than a money making investment. I’m looking at it more like a strong and steady tangible investment. I could go buy more property but I’m tired of maintenance.

This is a good article by For bes why gold will underperform long term versus dividend issues.

edit on 31-12-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

And would be great....if the systems to cash it in were/are in place....

Or someone will just kill you for it.....

posted on Mar, 14 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join