It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitmer signs bill so non-teaching staff can work as subs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm kind of surprised this wasn't posted already, but it's a doozy. Apparently substitute teachers & bus drivers are of the same skill family & skill level now.

Michigan public schools can use non-teaching staff as substitute teachers the rest of the academic year under a law designed to address a shortage during the coronavirus pandemic.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced Monday that she signed the bill last week, calling it a “temporary stopgap” in a letter to lawmakers. It lets secretaries, paraprofessionals and other school employees without a teaching certificate — such as library aides, bus drivers, cooks and office workers — work as subs as long as they have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.

I'm a little befuddled as to how the R's ended up backing this, it's NOT something I see most conservative Michiganders agreeing with. Ironically, most D's also don't back this in Lansing, either. One of those oddball Opposite Dayalternate universe things, I guess.

Someone's ultimately making bank off this cluster# decision somehow, we all know that much.
edit on 12/29/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/29/2021 by Nyiah because: tags are my Kryptonite.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That’s weird . That’ll make it tougher to indoctrinate the children to be little globalists who will give there country away for nothing

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There has got to be an issue with teachers and COVID restrictions, eating up the substitution teacher pool. But yes this should be an interesting topic. We have a few teachers in the family in various states, I wonder how they feel about this.

I would imagine much like here in Georgia they do stuff for Atlanta that likely makes no sense anywhere else in the state.

www.clickondetroit.com...

LANSING, Mich. – Michigan public schools can use non-teaching staff as substitute teachers the rest of the academic year under a law designed to address a shortage during the coronavirus pandemic.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced Monday that she signed the bill last week, calling it a “temporary stopgap” in a letter to lawmakers. It lets secretaries, paraprofessionals and other school employees without a teaching certificate — such as library aides, bus drivers, cooks and office workers — work as subs as long as they have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.

The legislation had been approved by the Republican-led Legislature on largely party lines over objections from many Democrats and a couple of Republicans.

edit on 29-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I work for a large school district. Subs are in EXTREMELY HIGH demand. Most districts are offing $$$ signing bonuses as well as retention perks.
Nothing suspect about this

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   

What's the issue? Twenty five years ago my Sister took a six week course that allowed her to substitute teach in the school district where she lived. The only restriction was that she wasn't allowed to teach the class her Sons were in.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I'll be honest. I taught two years under a program where I had to have certain degree requirements and then taught ion the same subject as my degree. I was not a degreed teacher though.

I had to have a degree with a minimum GPA (at least a B average in subject courses) and pass the teacher required subject exams (I forget what they're called, but teachers in New York got caught out paying random schmoes off the street to sit them several years ago; it was a scandal).

The idea was that I would work concurrently at getting an abbreviated Masters in Ed while I was working full-time in the classroom. For various reasons, not least of which was ending up needing neck surgery, it didn't work out. I'm not cut out to teach like that.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

You know, for all the pull the teacher's union has....
You would think they would have a big problem with this.

Think about it. They went to college and got a degree, then got their teacher's certificate so that they could begin a career teaching students, and they have bus drivers and custodians doing their job now???

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Subs generally are just glorified baby sitters.

Teachers are supposed to provide a "sub folder" that includes lesson plans for a day when she is out. These are explicit instructions for what any sub is to do along with any needed materials. I also subbed for a year, and mostly you ended up riding herd on a class while they watched a video or played on computers or something else equally fire and forget.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Subs generally are just glorified baby sitters.

Teachers are supposed to provide a "sub folder" that includes lesson plans for a day when she is out. These are explicit instructions for what any sub is to do along with any needed materials. I also subbed for a year, and mostly you ended up riding herd on a class while they watched a video or played on computers or something else equally fire and forget.

Yeah, I suppose if the teachers don't have to work and there is some warm body to take their place, they could give two sh1ts what the kids are learning.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
She really is something else.
So, she gets this passed, so basically anyone can be a sub and teach your kids.

Then she decides to spend Millions (I believe that is what the news said last night), giving it to schools to hire, counselors and psychiatrists, but they have to hire them by March.

How about putting that money into the teacher shortage????????

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Doesn't this just prove that anyone can be a teacher and that they aren't some "elite" class of educators?

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

What's the issue? Twenty five years ago my Sister took a six week course that allowed her to substitute teach in the school district where she lived. The only restriction was that she wasn't allowed to teach the class her Sons were in.

The issue is your sister had that course under her belt

These subs do not. And the door is open for anyone with just a GED or diploma to teach little Junior calculus.

I effing suck at math, so it would not be reasonable for me to raise my hand & call my self something like an Algebra 2 substitute teacher. Granted, we are a homeschooling household, but there are only 2 kids to mind, not 30 of them. With no experience or training. Something your sister had to her advantage, no?

And Ket, the same is applicable to you -- you had the training & knowledge needed to instruct others. No, it's not a degree, but you were papered either way to edge right on it. And that is perfectly fine!

edit on 12/29/2021 by Nyiah because: hit reply too soon.

edit on 12/29/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Realistically what are the alternatives? Double or triple the class size? Not sure about that district, but classes where I live is 25 to 30 students. If all the teachers and qualified subs are covering full classrooms, I have no problem with a bus driver showing students a movie to keep them occupied, while making sure they safe and not eating glass or sticking things in outlets, or wondering off into traffic.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Doesn't this just prove that anyone can be a teacher and that they aren't some "elite" class of educators?

Absolutely does!!

But I think we can ALL agree that there are a few skills we learn in all 3 schooling tiers prior to college that are best taught by people who studied the subject well & with future instruction as the motivation.

Again, I could go through the hoops, but you do not want me teaching high school math.
Ever.
That's what math nerds & colleges are for

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Anyone can be a teacher, if that's where their heart is.

When I was younger I wanted to be a teacher, but as I grew older, I realized that my temper was not conducive to being a teacher--or at least a good one.

I've tutored college kids in history, and literature. I've also done adult literacy programs--one of the more satisfying things I've ever done.

I've no real issue with this.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

www.mackinac.org...

Hmmmmm.

Someone is looking for a bonus i suppose.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

To add to my comment to DB, we need to figure out what needs skilled instructors, and what does not. We could have a combo system & make it work, if we tried.

First, we need to bring class sizes back down to reasonable numbers (30 is not reasonable for kids)
Too many to attend to helps no one.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Joe probably wants to substitute teach.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

This is true.

It takes a certain mindset to really be good at teaching. You do have to know your subject matter, but that's only part of the equation.

A full education classroom setting was not for me, but I loved the one on one aspect of working with kids who had learning disabilities. I did much better when I could give them my full attention and really connect.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I am sure the teachers are NOT happy.
They probably wanted to do online again.

FWIW, as a non-parent, it seems to me I would rather have my kids in school supervised by a school employee, doing some kind of reading or writing assignment, than have to take off work to have my kids at home....again.
I mean, those teachers have work plans, right???
And computers?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join