It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Just Busted This Super-Common Gluten Myth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This article coincidentally just appeared in my feed after I posted a thread yesterday regarding IBS. I almost added this article into my last thread, but I decided it deserved its own because it has nothing to do with Covid.

Over the course of nine months, researchers tracked the gluten intake of more than 100 people with moderate to severe IBS, as well as the FODMAP content of their diet. Gluten was not connected to more severe IBS symptoms, although increased FODMAP content was.

Scientists just busted this super-common gluten myth

Time and again, gluten gets blamed for a host of illnesses and symptoms that our bodies experience. While there are some real signs that you may be gluten intolerant—such as headaches or joint pains that disappear after you cut this protein out of your diet—gluten is sometimes simply a scapegoat. For example, while it often gets faulted for intestinal troubles, new research shows that contrary to popular belief, there's no significant link between eating gluten and experiencing symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). In other words, that slice of wheat toast you had with breakfast likely isn't to blame for your constipation or diarrhea.

"Our study shows that gluten has no effect on IBS symptoms," Elise Nordin, lead author of the study, told Eat This, Not That! in an interview. "There is accumulating evidence suggesting that gluten per se may not cause adverse effects on a group-level among subjects with IBS . . . However, we acknowledge that reactions [vary by] individual, and we also observed adverse effects among some individuals in our study."

Link to the study referenced in the article:
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

I know that, for myself, my gluten-induced symptoms are much different from those I have from high FODMAP foods such as baked beans. My gluten intake mostly seems to give me some slight discomfort in my right upper quadrant, some constipation, and maybe some neurological effects, while things like baked beans cause a wide range of digestive issues throughout my entire GI tract. 

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Tackle real issues please, scientists.

You know the problem isn't gluten.

Ask yourselves, what kind of products contain gluten?

Cake. Snack cakes. Little Debbies. Pastries. Donuts. Etc...

Do these people really have an issue with gluten?
Or are their bodies on the cusp of diabetes, and their bodies are reacting to try and save their lives?

It's sugar. It's always been sugar. As long as "High Fructose Corn Syrup" is a staple of the American diet, these people are going to have issues.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist
Or glyphosate residual

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

Or are their bodies on the cusp of diabetes, and their bodies are reacting to try and save their lives?

It's sugar. It's always been sugar. As long as "High Fructose Corn Syrup" is a staple of the American diet, these people are going to have issues.

Maybe you should leave the scientists to what they do and stick with your own area of expertise. I have absolutely no sugar in my diet, outside of what naturally occurs in fruits that I eat, and I have some kind of gluten problem.

I will give you credit that sugar and HFCS is a major factor for many of the illnesses Americans are facing.
edit on 24 12 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Or glyphosate residual

Yeah, it could be from chemicals.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yep, same here. I live a completely organic lifestyle. Coconut sugar and honey is the only thing I use to bake with. I started having gluten problems about 10 years ago. I now have to stay away from any kind of wheat or I start getting a eczema everywhere.

a reply to: tamusan

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: whatswrongwithyourdog

It's rough when you are eating all of the right things and they give you problems. I also get rashes from my problem foods.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

It's rough when you are eating all of the right things and they give you problems. I also get rashes from my problem foods.

Have you tried DAO? We are finding some “food allergies “ are actually an intolerance to histamines. I have seen some fairly interesting results. Not calling it a sure thing, but I have worked with food allergies for years, especially my wife and I feel your pain.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatswrongwithyourdog
Yep, same here. I live a completely organic lifestyle. Coconut sugar and honey is the only thing I use to bake with. I started having gluten problems about 10 years ago. I now have to stay away from any kind of wheat or I start getting a eczema everywhere.

Oat floor (colloidal oat) is a remarkable support/therapeutic topically applied for eczema. My daughter was getting huge patches with peanuts until we discovered the issue HempFusion makes a topical OTC with colloidal oatmeal (cream) that works wonders.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Have you tried DAO?

What is DAO?

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I have read that some people have issues digesting certain foods.
And it has something to do with the fact that mankind really hasn't been eating grains all that long. Some people perhaps genetically cannot process gluten or cows milk, or whatever.

TBH, I can remember having some digestion issues decades ago, chalked it up with eating too late in the day. Could easily have been gluten issues. Who knows, even in hindsight.

As I said in the other thread, they kept trying to tell me I had GERD. IOW, they didn't really know.
And giving me prilosec, which in the long run made it a lot worse.

I also cannot drink water from a garden hose without getting sick. Seriously.
Same with my father. My sisters and mom had no issues.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I found out that I have some genes that are shared by the Inuit people, and evidently I do have some Inuit ancestors.

One of the genes I am going to focus on, a homogolus gene, is found in about three percent of the population of the scandinavian countries and the far North old Russian countries. A little higher percent of the women in those countries have a similar gene that has the same problem associated with it. The gene creates an issue of breaking the glucose glucose bond in starches and the glucose fructose bond in sugars. A defunct enzyme is created, but it still can break apart a little of those chemicals. The problem is that those sugars and carbs can be shuffled across the intestine barrier if lectins are present that dialate the openings...the same sort of problem that occurs in some other diseases of different names, like gluten intolerance. Which does lead to IBS symptoms.

Those glucose glucose and glucose fructose molecules are in the blood stream but cannot be used properly, so if you eat any amount over a little, they actually cause excessive release of insulin which tries to grab them but can't give them to cells to use, so they wind up causing inflammation in the body and inflame the fat cells which try to bury them inside to protect us.

According to my genetics, I am better adapted to eating fats for food, with some proteins, proteins from animal sources which contain glutamine in them which is what I also need to run the cells that need sugar. Now the heart burns lipids, not sugar, and that goes for many muscles too, they can burn some glutamine or simple sugars, but not those bonded together because of a lack of enzyme to break them apart. Now remember, these genes are not in most people, only three percent approximately of all far north European and the far northern Russian and asian peoplee...plus inuit tribes throughout greenland and Canada.

Inuits are classified as of Asian decent, but some of them do not look at all like Asians but have certain genetic corrections to help them live far north to eat seals and fish and stuff like that. So glutamine worked to reduce the inflammation in my joints, I was led to believe that fat was not good for me, and to a point that is true, the fats in seals and whales and fish is higher in omega threes, as is the meat in the reindeer in the far north. Also even the saturated fats are different in proportion, there are good saturated fats and there are bad saturated fats.

I actually know quite a few people who are healthy and skinny that eat lots of fatty food, as long as the animals are not fed a high percentage of grains, they will stay healthy. Most I know like that grew up on farms and get their meat from people that still have farms, friends of the families. I have been getting my beef from farmers for about thirty five years now...except I lost my pork suppliers. and my Indian friend I used to get fish from. But for some reason I do lack other inuit genes, I cannot survive on just meats and some leafy greens, a half a dozen genes do not make me inuit, the blending of different cultures must have been over a thousand years or more ago. I guess even my kid would still be one point seven percent Inuit,

They studied this culture, in Scandinavia, but I would bet that other cultures around the world also have similar genetic traits. These people will do well on a natural keto or paleo diet.

Back again to the symptoms associated with this. High sugar that can't be burnt, something that can be misdiagnosed as insulin resistance or certain kinds of diabetis, which is usually more hypoglycemia than hyperglycemia. Also sore joints and symptoms of IBS or chrones disease, also celiac symptoms. It can contribute to a lot of genetic diseases expressing themselves.

How can you tell if you got this, I suppose the foodmap diet might help you diagnose it, look for things where intolerances are related. Some people thrive on starches and sugars, they get all ramped up...probably not this. I get lots of energy from sugars and carbs, but it maxes out shortly and I start getting a yucky feeling and tired.

This was an explanation of one possible thing that can cause IBS and inflammatory symptoms, there are other things too. I just read an article about proteins. Seems they are better with a little carbs so the fat cells do not get inflamed, resulting in a release of some chemistries that promote cortisol release in some people which results in inflammation in the body.

Here are some pertinent articles to some new found coincidental findings.
scitechdaily.com...

medicalxpress.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Our ancestors all evolved differently so the vast majority of people have to eat different than each other based on your personal genetic profile. Sure we can eat stuff once in a while, till our body figures out how to metabolize it we will have a little reaction to new food chemistries. But too much change too fast is not good, unless you are changing back to a diet our ancestors thrived on

Remember, one size does not fit all, my story applies to what I have found out about me, You guys need to focus on what changes in diet fits you best, even with genetics and gene aps, you don't know if they apply.
edit on 24-12-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Have you tried DAO?

I have the same question as DTOM. What is Dao?

HempFusion makes a topical OTC with colloidal oatmeal

I'll see if I can find this and give it a try. I've had luck with some kind of black soap that my sister-in-law sends me from Japan. I have no idea what is called, or I would say so now. I'll see if my wife can provide some insight.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

As always, I greatly appreciate your insight.

One of the genes I am going to focus on, a homogolus gene, is found in about three percent of the population of the scandinavian countries

Can you tell me the SNP?

My genetics are heavily Scandanavian. I also have genes that are linked to celiac, but we've both pointed out before, that just having the genes are often not an indication that one will have the condition. At some point in the future, science will work out when having specific genes will lead to disease, but we are not yet there. I'm also hesitant to blame my genes because this is a sudden onset problem for me after over 50 years of being able to eat whatever I wanted.

I find that I do best whenever I eat fatty foods, and whenever I eat primarily meat, but my doctor is not happy with this, and neither is my cholesterol.

I'm considering signing up for Genopalate, but am hesitant. I've signed up for about a dozen DNA websites, and only a handful were worth the money, in my opinion. Most of them are just a rehash of the same stuff that you get from 23&Me. As I mentioned before, Promethease was my favorite and the most informative, and it was surprisingly the cheapest.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Or glyphosate residual

You win the cigar!

What a clever job they have done, hiding the truth.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

Maybe you should leave the scientists to what they do and stick with your own area of expertise. I have absolutely no sugar in my diet, outside of what naturally occurs in fruits that I eat, and I have some kind of gluten problem.

I will give you credit that sugar and HFCS is a major factor for many of the illnesses Americans are facing.

So... you have sugar in your diet. Understood.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

So... you have sugar in your diet. Understood.

Wow, you seem like a source of infinite wisdom.

I don't really like any kind of fruit and rarely eat it. I just pointed out that I do get sugar from fruit on occasion. You're similar to the other guy, making assumptions without any of the basic facts.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I'm not saying that I never have any glyphosate in my diet, because we can't ever be too sure of that these days. I haven't really eaten any processed foods, especially heavily processed stuff, for a very long time, except for bread. The bread I was buying is supposed to be free of all of the bad stuff. I only eat wild caught seafood, and most of it is caught by my neighbors. I also source nearly all of my produce, dairy, and meat directly from farms.  What I get is supposed to be free from pesticides, herbicides, hormones, and antibiotics. I do get some stuff that comes from Japan, but what I am buying is also supposed to be free of that stuff, too. I admit it's hard to be 100% certain that it is. I do test some things that I buy, but not every time. 

If my condition wasn't brought on by covid, then I am leaning towards microplastics. 

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I just went on Livewello to see if I saved the snps I had researched. Evidently it does not save a copy of snps by themselves, just the Gene reports you run. Rats, I wonder if I wrote those down somewhere in a notebook. I did find one again, but without the others it means nothing. I got the info from snpedia or something but can't find it now, seems everyone is searching for genes and covid on the search engine, I went through three pages and found only that kind of crap. Must be a lot of people researching the link between covid and epigenetics right now.

I know I saved the identifying snps somewhere, but can't locate it in my bookmarks for the site I found that listed them. There were only three or four that were colected in the data, but that was enough to determine that I should eat less carbs and get my energy mostly from lipids. It ties into my tachychardia, hypoglycemia and hyponatremia. I should organize my bookmarks better, I need thirty folders instead of like fifteen I put my links in. It would make it easier to find if I had more file cabinets named properly. I used to be able to put a link in two different files, but since windows ten, I can only put it in one file for some reason. The same link can be applied to different diseases. That sucks, I have to look in metabolism or cancer to find info relevant to a completely different health condition.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Have you tried DAO?

What is DAO?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Diamine oxidase, it’s an enzyme recently outside of its patent. Omne Deim is the company that is owned by its discoverer

top topics

<<   2 >>

join