It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quiet Please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Does quiet bother you? Seriously, does not having noise of some kind in the background make you antsy, edgy or irritated?

It shocks me to see how many people just simply cannot stand silence. The minute they walk into a quiet space they have to turn on something which makes noise, usually the TV, radio or some such. The same can be said for visual noise. My wife, for example, just cannot sit still in a room unless she turns on the TV or some racket making device (fan, etc.). I just don't understand it.

I absolutely WORSHIP silence! Silence is like a gift to me. I seek out peace and quiet. It's not about being alone, I love being around people (sometimes); it's about being quiet. Some people seem to feel like every waking moment needs to be filled with some kind of noise. Too me, all that noise and racket is like drinking from a fire hose, just non-stop pressure on your brain. And then there's advertisements, a never ending stream of people yammering on about something you should buy, or do, or see, or whatever. It just never ends.

I can sit for hours, all day even, and just enjoy the quiet. Enjoy the quiet and subtle sounds of nature and the world around me. I don't need a bunch of racket to keep me sane. In fact, constant racket makes me the exact opposite, angry and irritable.

Some people can't even stand quiet when they sleep, they have to have noise going on else they wake up or can't get to sleep. I'm the exact opposite, the quieter it is the more peaceful and relaxed I am.

One time I was out feeding the cows and it was a beautiful afternoon. I'd just broken open a new bale of hay and it was calling me to sit down and just enjoy the day. I sat down on that big bale and fell asleep listening to the cows quietly munching away. It was pure bliss. They didn't need a bunch of noise in their life, in fact they get agitated just like I do with a bunch of racket. My dog didn't need a bunch of noise either, as he was laying right next to me, sound asleep, and just as content as a pup can be. When I woke up from my nap 45 minutes or so later I looked over and Cisco, my ACD, was still laying right there. He woke up about the same time, had a big stretch and a puppy yawn, like... "Gee Dad, that was a really great nap, huh?"

None of those things would have been possible with a bunch of racket going on in the background, talking heads rambling on and on, advertisements bludgeoning your brain into mush.

Do you like the quiet? Silence? Or, does is make you nervous, anxious and edgy?

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I go among the rice fields to think of peace in my life. Sadly though I don't know if it does any good.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Agh! Yes. My husband is your wife ...

We spend most of our time on our computers. I am perfectly content to only have my computer going, but he *has* to turn on the TV for "background" noise. I am just as happily to not have it on at all.

Now, I will admit that when I was studying in college, I absolutely wanted my headset and music on. When it was something I was already having issues concentrating on, I needed to partial distraction of some more noise, but there is something about music that's different than something like the TV.
edit on 23-12-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I was not given to enjoy silence. Too many people in the city, neighbors, industry and traffic.
With all that I find silence only when my stuff runs at higher volume than everything else.
You may not call it silence but silence is rarely empty anyway. Silence is loud. Like vacuum being full of energy. I could hear the sound of my brain electricity, receive unwanted communications.
The tinnitus-like sound when your ear rings? Someone may be spamming you, thinking about you or vice versa. IMO there's no silence on this planet. Maybe outside of its magnetosphere.
And when you reach a deep cave, your own thoughts will get louder

It reminded me a nice thread about hearing voices in white noise. Everyone with access to a real waterfall or a sluice should try it. The brain will tune into AM instead of FM. Lower brainwaves, higher brainwaves. Hallucinations. It's better than TV for sure

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   
When all else is quiet, the ringing becomes way too loud.

I need other noise in order to silence the ringing, or at least to help me forget about and ignore the ringing.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

You can silence the ringing by dwelling in it or analyzing it.
It may be your own electric potential. Closed circuit takes away the static electricity noise too. Even pain can be silenced by entering into the center of it. It's there to get your attention.
I'm not sure about a real tinnitus caused by physical damage. Is that what you think? We lose the higher frequencies the older we get so I'd be afraid of not hearing enough. That's why I wear some hearing protection almost every day. You never know who will start smashing a sheet of metal with a hammer next to you. The high pitch of angle grinder must not be ignored either. It's causing damage

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You won't get any argument from me. I love peace and quiet. I especially enjoy my times of meditation, which quiets the incessant chatter of the mind. Then it's quiet outside AND inside.

Unfortunately, I have tinnitus. It took me some time to re-learn meditation with the ringing, but I have found low stress levels and meditation lower the volume. I DO sleep with a quiet fan though. I like some air moving when I sleep.

Enjoy it while you can FCD, and pray you never get tinnitus.

edit on 12/23/2021 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Just turn off electric and you will be in quite place.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ

With all that I find silence only when my stuff runs at higher volume than everything else.
You may not call it silence ...

Heh, you would be exactly correct!

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
When all else is quiet, the ringing becomes way too loud.

I need other noise in order to silence the ringing, or at least to help me forget about and ignore the ringing.

Interesting. I have heard others say this, but in my case, more noise is stressful and makes the ringing worse. Fortunately, the person I live with likes quiet as much as I do. Our home is very quiet and it makes the ringing more tolerable. Meditation even more so, but whatever works for you. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
I go among the rice fields to think of peace in my life. Sadly though I don't know if it does any good.

I live in the country. I love siting outside, or walking through the woods. It is peaceful in the country, but it is not quiet.

Everything has a sound. The wind in the trees, among the leaves on the ground. The animals, the insects, even the water.

Nature is noisy, but peaceful.

It is a frequent surprise when people come to visit. Many are surprised just how noisy nature is. They just never had the opportunity to hear it, because it gets drowned out in their every day lives.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ

I'm not sure about a real tinnitus caused by physical damage. Is that what you think?

Yeah, I think it's from a combination of years of loud music and loud machinery, often at the same time. The ringing I hear isn't very loud, but I do think it's always there. I think I'm usually pretty good at ignoring it though, but not tight now. I can't stop thinking about it now, so it seems loud.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Do you like the quiet? Silence? Or, does is make you nervous, anxious and edgy?

I have tinnitus pretty bad, and while silence while I'm awake doesn't bother me so much, it is extremely hard for me to go to sleep when it is silent, I have to have a noisy fan running, or a white noise generator, or something...

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   
My wife has to have a television or a movie or audio playing. I'm like FCD. I, too, like people but I love solitude just as much (sometimes more).

I believe they people who have to constantly have noise are people who cannot be alone with themselves, who do not like themselves. That is sad.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

edit on Thu Dec 23 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I work in a loud and busy enviroment so i enjoy the moments of silence.

Especially in the early morning after i wake up before work i just like to sit with a smoke and a coffee , no tv no phone no nothing , just me and the silence.

Love it.

I swear by these foam sound stoppers for in bed too , put them in and you vanish into a cocoon or some Sh@#$t

edit on 23-12-2021 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Solitude is splendid. I have been on my laptop for 2 hours, and the only sound I hear is when my refrigerator kicks on.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Silence, or just the sounds of nature, don't frighten me at all. The "modern world" is just endless and pointless noise. An hour of quiet contemplation each day is good for the soul.

I type this in a house where the only sound is the clock and a snoring dog.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Thank you for the great read.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join