It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Releases Ghostly Sounds Recorded at Ganymede by The Juno Probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Juno is one of those probes that just does it's job until it has something cool to offer then sends it home , then we all remember that it's still there.
Earlier this year Juno took a dive into Ganymede's magnetosphere to record some data , of course the data is dry and boring so the nice chaps at NASA turned the data into audio so we can listen to the sounds of Ganymede.

When the frequency of these emissions is shifted into the audio range, the result is a wonderfully eerie set of alien shrieks and howls. This audio was unveiled at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2021.

"This soundtrack is just wild enough to make you feel as if you were riding along as Juno sails past Ganymede for the first time in more than two decades," says physicist Scott Bolton of the Southwest Research Institute, Juno's principal investigator.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the abrupt change to higher frequencies around the midpoint of the recording, which represents entry into a different region in Ganymede's magnetosphere."

Transposing the data into audio frequencies isn't just for fun; it's a different way of accessing and experiencing the data, which can in turn help to pick up on fine details that otherwise might have been overlooked. We've been recording the "sounds" of the Solar System with a range of probes, including the Voyager spacecraft, as well as planetary missions.

Ganymede – which is even bigger than Mercury – has a fully differentiated core, and might have a liquid ocean deep beneath its icy crust that could support life. On top of all that, it has its own magnetic field, the only one of the Solar System's moons to have one.

Interesting planet Ganymede , there's probably life there.

edit on 21-12-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
That doesn't sound natural.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hello Ganymede

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

Of course it's digitized but I wonder it sounds almost like an old 8 bit program loading on a commodore 64, speccy or Amstrad cpc back in the day.

Natural sounds but what if they were altered by a super advanced race to convey knowledge when and at which time we could decode there signal, likely it is just noise and garbled by the sample rate of the instruments on the probe and remember it has been converted into sound from radio frequency's but still cool.

And hey Completely off topic but Gortex have you seen that Homeworld 3 is coming out next year? (need's a thread if there are any Homeworld fans on the site, I suspect good sales of the remastered version of the older homeworld games got this going).

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It sounds like Ganymede's magnetosphere is trying to establish a connection with a 300 baud modem.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
lol
they should load this into a commodore 64 and see what happens

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I think Sir Clive was in talks with Ganymede, I bet its where spectrums go to die

oh wait whats that approaching my ship

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   
"You have Mail!"

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
For everyone's convenience I've listened to the audio at all playback speeds and would recommend 0.25.
edit on st122111 by Smigg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gortexThat probe started its mission back in mid 2011. This Universe is enormous

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Cool, at first I thought Telephone Line was about to start playing.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

We have no real frame of reference when it comes to what would be a natural sound.
Not when that sound is coming from a rock millions of miles away in space.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Natural sounds but what if they were altered by a super advanced race to convey knowledge when and at which time we could decode there signal,

That would make a fantastic plot for a si-fi story!

Turns out the solar system and maybe even many star systems were artificially created.
Once the signals are decoded they give cords.
At those cords we find an invitation to the galactic community.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

I don't know why but those super old pc games always look fun.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Better yet we can do this. Any of us could easily do this using gortex's posted video.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   
So if Ganymede has a magnetosphere, does that mean it has a molten iron core ?

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Yes , it has an iron–nickel core like Earth.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Didn't pick up on any "alien shrieks and howls," but I definitely got the old CompuServe handshake thing going on there. Yeah, it'd be interesting to see what an old Commodore would do with it.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

While I'm not Gortex, I can certainly say that a MAAHHEEUUSSIIVVEE Homeworld fan I am definitely.... Super stoked for HW3.... perhaps a HW3 hype-train thread?

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Spam
edit on 12/22/2021 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

join