It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One month rain in one day in Malaysia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Can you imagine one month of rain in one day. Well, we came pretty close to that here in this country and I can tell you whole areas were just under water and we still haven't recovered for the last 2 years of the damage. Shortage of workers is one reason.
Well, Malaysia just got hit with a months worth of rain in one day. I don't know about weather patterns that everyone is talking about since I been around to see some pretty heavy rain and snow in my days and no one mentioned about the " scare factor " of the end of the world at the time, but I do know now that anyone that lives in a flood zone must have a boat/life raft and a floatable storage container for food and survival tools. In America, I saw about the tornadoes and I used to live where tornadoes were common and destructive, but compared to today, its like Mother Earth is getting to clean up a bit over our crazy life style of destroying what Mother Nature has given us live happily in harmony with nature.

Watch the video.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
They did not quantify with any unit if measure the actual volume, not once. So i had to investigate.

Free Malaysia Today
One month’s rainfall in one day, a once in a century event
Bernama -December 19, 2021 8:14 PM

The floods that hit the Klang Valley since yesterday following heavy downpours have caused thousands of residents to be evacuated.
KUALA LUMPUR: The heavy downpours that lasted over 24 hours from late Friday were a once-in-a-century weather event, bringing rainfall equal to the average for a month, environment and water ministry secretary-general Zaini Ujang said.

The phenomenon occurred due to monsoon flow factors and a low pressure weather system that achieved the level of a tropical depression that formed in the South China Sea on Dec 12.

The system entered Pahang on Dec 16 and moved across the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia, causing a rise in humidity and continuous heavy rain in almost every state in the peninsula.

“It is an exception. Normally, during the monsoon season, only states in the East Coast would receive heavy rain but this time, the entire peninsula, especially the central east coast and northern regions are receiving continuous heavy rain,” he said in a media conference here today.

He cited the high amount of rainfall recorded, with Sentul station being the highest at 363mm, Gombak 247mm, Jinjang 258mm and Sungai Bonus Jalan Tun Razak 273mm.

“The annual rainfall in Kuala Lumpur is 2,400mm. Yesterday’s rainfall has exceeded the average rainfall for a month, it is something beyond expectations and only occurs once every 100 years,” he said.

I dont know metric so i had to convert with free tools. Starting from the first unit in bold, we get 14.3 inches, 9.7 inches, 10.1 inches and 10.7 inches respectively. Yea thats quitw a bit of rain, but not really unheaed of. Many places that get hit with monsoons, hurricanes and typhoons also can see those numbers .

The record for highest rainfall in 24 hours was 71.8 inches in a place called Foc Foc in the Reunion Islands, which I admit i have no idea is located.

Malaysia had quite a stormy weekend i suppose, but imo the story is just mildly sensationalist.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

OK, thanks.

Hong Kong may get hit with a typhoon soon. Says its a big one. Its raining now in Hong Kong so well see what happens.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I guess it depends on the month!

Where I live it's not uncommon to see two or three months with less precipitation than we will see in the average rain storm.

The cities see flooding because they paved over the natural drainage for many square miles, but even the outskirts of town are not effected.

Having said that, if your conversions are right you see a ton more train in general than I ever have. Ten inches in a week would be unusual.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Whilst that's a lot of rain, one month's fall in 24 hours isn't that unusual. The most I've experienced here in England was nearly 3 months worth in 24 hours (July 2007).

However, the caveat is, we normally only get 40-50mm a month. That said, the 2007 rainfall did produce the worst floods on record.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
Whilst that's a lot of rain, one month's fall in 24 hours isn't that unusual. The most I've experienced here in England was nearly 3 months worth in 24 hours (July 2007).

However, the caveat is, we normally only get 40-50mm a month. That said, the 2007 rainfall did produce the worst floods on record.

As foggy and dreary as England is you only get upwards of (60 cm)24 inches of rain a year? That's pretty dry here in the U.S. You must be in a dry area of the island. Most green places in the states are getting around double that or more. Sure there are plenty of dry states, but England always struck me as pretty wet.

Edit: I see there is quite a bit of variation (Scotland vs. Southern England)

www.currentresults.com...

US for comparison

www.currentresults.com...
edit on 20-12-2021 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
a reply to: worldstarcountry

OK, thanks.

Hong Kong may get hit with a typhoon soon. Says its a big one. Its raining now in Hong Kong so well see what happens.

that would be the typhoon that just went through the southern Philippines. it is a lot weaker now, now just a tropical storm. when it made landfall in the Philippines it was a catagory 5 typhoon, and had maximum sustained winds of 131-155 mph or 210-249 km/h. lots of damage and of course flooding. waiting to hear from friends on Bohol, last i heard they were being evacuated. i rather hope the house i helped build, after Yolanda and a major earthquake 2 weeks before that, destroyed their old house. and others i know just had their home rebuilt about two years ago from that (destroyed in 2013, such is how long relief efforts and rebuilding takes, especially thanks to the incompetence of non profit relief agencies, such as habitats for humanity), so hopefully they won't have to go through that again.

and of course i wonder if it was this storm causing the flooding in Malaysia. the heavy rains from typhoons can cover extremely huge areas. and from experience, it seems that the less powerful, and slower the storm,the more rain it seems to drop, and over a larger area it seems. rather like the rather weak hurricane Katrina (only a cat 3 when it made landfall in that area), that did so much damage in New Orleans years ago. all in all a weak storm, but dropped huge amounts of rain causing most of the damage.

top topics

join