It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Jobs Knowing what you know now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Knowing what you know now, if you had a chance to time travel and go back to those jobs, would you?

I know for a fact there are many I truly regretted and wish I never worked at.
Yes yes I know even bad experiences shape us.

Maybe this generation gets it. They won’t settle. We can call them lazy, entitled, whatever. Or maybe just maybe they have higher standards than we did. If so, we did a good job raising them.

I’m mainly talking about the generations from Boomer to Gen X, and Millennials.
Just wait until Gen Alpha, they are a different breed!

I wonder if I did a lot of those crappy jobs because I was raised by boomers and the trauma that came with that.
When I was growing up I don’t really remember very many people being what I consider rich. Everyone was pretty much middle class.

There are pains with growth. Right now some of those pains are we can’t get our fast food fast enough, or services are expensive. Have we ever considered for a moment, maybe they aren’t expensive? Maybe they were too cheap for too long?
edit on 18-12-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Knowing what you know now, if you had a chance to time travel and go back to those jobs, would you?

Absolutely, I would know to lift with my legs, and I could still be climbing stuff and doing backflips out of trees.

I'm fairly bitter about this topic, lol

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
No.

People that can't accept what is past are typically just unhappy people in their present situation and have fallen into wishful thinking; such a thing often creates a rut difficult to get out of where something to be done about it becomes less and less likely to occur.

I see all of my past even yesterday five minutes ago five seconds as a corpse not fit for me or anyone else; in respect it's the same for others... it took a very very long time to see it that way but it's been beneficial. The most difficult part is when others can't won't or refuse to let go of five seconds ago five minutes ago or yesterday in either body speech or mind attached to it in five ways... freedom is virtually impossible and yet some say have compassion on them.

No good deed goes unpunished simply means they don't want to be seen as a bearer of bad deeds and want everyone on the same guilty level with them. Such a thing is unacceptable as it holds everyone hostage to an unattainable ideal.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Some people are so against automation, not me. I think it has it's place. There are so many jobs that maybe humans shouldn't be doing.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

People that can't accept what is past are typically just unhappy people in their present situation

Not true in my case. I'm pretty darn happy in my current situation.
I think i'm mature enough to reflect and see that some of my journey was probably unecessary and maybe even damaging.
It is ok to believe that others shouldn't have to go through it either.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Im now retired but my advice is skip university and get a trade you have no debt at the end of an apprenticeship and seeing as we have been developing a generation of tertiary qualified baristas there is a shortage of tradespeople.In Australia you can just about name your price for example its $150 just to get an electrician to show up then $80 plus per hour.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No offence but if I had the opportunity to time-travel, jobs would be the last thing on my list....

I've had some good jobs and a whole lot of bad ones but they were just jobs. A means to make money.

Having said that, it would be fun to go back to just before the rave scene kicked off in the UK.
Would've been nice to make some money from that rather than just spend, spend, spend.

edit on 18122021 by Tulpa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

People that can't accept what is past are typically just unhappy people in their present situation

I think i'm mature enough to reflect and see that some of my journey was probably unecessary and maybe even damaging.

I'm happy too but just started doing silversmithing and absolutely love it, enough I'd love to have done it as a career before. I'd actually signed up to do an eight month course in it when the covid hit so all got shut down. I hadn't managed to pay for the full course but my partial refund allowed me to buy some tools and materials.

I was raised by university educated people who equate a university education to success in life and my failure to get one, even though I tried for three years, made me sort of low class to their eyes. It's a terrible judgement to have on people so I've struggled all these years feeling lesser than them. I had wanted to do artwork and raise my own food from the beginning but was compromised by these feelings and the need to please my elders. Done with that now and perfectly happy with where I'm at.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I can't say I worked any crappie jobs; I'd be happy to usw some time machine time going back to work any of them again. Salary being the only reason I left any past job.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If my body was more willing, yes, I could be doing my old jobs, and probably better.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I'm happy too but just started doing silversmithing

That’s sounds super cool! What kind?
Jewelry, restoration, art?

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

I'm happy too but just started doing silversmithing and absolutely love it, enough I'd love to have done it as a career before. I'd actually signed up to do an eight month course in it when the covid hit so all got shut down. I hadn't managed to pay for the full course but my partial refund allowed me to buy some tools and materials.

My stepdad is a silver/gold carver, he's native, and does native themed jewellery mostly, he makes a pretty good living.
www.pinterest.ca...

www.pinterest.ca...
edit on 18-12-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 03:27 PM
link   

a reply to: igloo

I'm happy too but just started doing silversmithing

That’s sounds super cool! What kind?
Jewelry, restoration, art?

Wasn't very specific, oops. Jewelry. Just learning the basics at the mo but I'm finding it fascinating as there are so many techniques available to learn.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My favorite job was pumping gas at Holiday gas station back in the early seventies. It was only two dollars and thirty one cents an hour, but you could rent an efficiency apartment and eat decently on that wage back then. Sure, I just had a 59 international pickup, a two year old seventy one comet, only one twelve foot boat and a sixty seven Honda 305...but I was happy and had enough money to drink cheap beer on the weekends or go to a barrel party.

Society has changed, that seventeen dollar half barrel disappeared and the parties got polarized, those with better quality pot didn't want to hang around with the people who had homegrown by the mid seventies. I was from the copper country, that should never have happened up there. I could go to all the parties and I could send the girls looking for a party to any of the parties I wanted to. I was part of the old fashioned social media, people would tell me where the parties were at the station and I would tell all the people coming in looking for parties where they were.... The managers of the gas station liked the extra sales because everyone trying to find the parties would buy their gas there.

That was the seventies, by the mid eighties things changed, no more parties with a couple hundred young people at them happened very often anymore in the mid eighties.

I had forty two different jobs in my life, I left a job after a short time if I did not like it, I learned many professions and everyplace I worked, the owners or managers told me I could come back anytime I needed a job because I was easy to get along with and worked hard and produced well. I also drew customers to the business for some strange reason. I got along with almost everyone. I also had a way of settling people down if they were riled up or cheering them up if they were depressed...and I had no idea how I did it, it came natural.

I would not change anything in my life, even getting in the accident and acquiring epilepsy turned out to have some benefits, I would never have been able to take in my granddaughter or learn so much about medicine if I was working, I spent my time off learning lots of different things. The five years on the meds that took a toll on my body and mind had some good to it, after Getting off of them I wanted to find out why they effected me so much. five years of not being able to think well was hell for me, and my body sure got damaged from those meds. I learned one thing that was very important from that experience, I will never ever take long term meds again.

I learned from my mistakes readily, I did not make the same mistake again very often, I learned not to get sucked into others delusions and how to limit myself politely from getting sucked into the misguidings of others.

I learned way more working with lots of diverse people than I could ever have learned from going ten years of college then getting stuck in one profession that would sooner or later bore me because it would become humdrum after a while.

No regrets, I learned from all the jobs I had, I learned something from almost everyone I talked to too, sometimes what I learned was to not get sucked into delusions the people had about things. I not only learned from my mistakes, I learned from the mistakes of others too.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
Totally gorgeous, his work! The west coast style is so elegant.

The course I wanted to take was near me in Campbell River, on the island, and part of the reason I chose that course was they have first nations artists teach the engraving component. They teach the formlines and tradition then applying it to your first designs only, in the case of non native students, thereafter the techniques are applied to your culturally appropriate designs. Cool way to learn and maybe in the future when life goes back to normal, I might try again.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
All I can say after reflection is I am very lucky to have been able to achieve my life's working goals as all my boxes got checked.... What I did helped make me who I am today and form the opinions I hold true. Would I change what I did .... no... do I consider myself fortunate and lucky...YES, especially when I look at some of my acquaintances .

There were dark days for sure when self doubt tried to steal my life's goals and circumstances seemed stacked against me but I kept taking the next step regardless... Nope would not change a thing that I can think of..

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It's a vicious cycle... sometimes seeing it takes awhile I agree, but once known? Meh let it go... when I used to delude myself into thinking I wanted a relationship and someone would star to get into past? fingers in both ears as fast as possible lalalala i'm not listening! Over it is over it, dead and buried. Not over it brings the corpse up... aww a dead bird during lunch? Thanks kitten.

I used to have lunch with my mom quite often and she'd look at my plate and should have on herself as far as ordering, I'd offer to trade sometimes she'd say ok sometimes no... or the next time try whatever that was I got previously... and then be dissatisfied with both choices, I really didn't want to trade, certain in what I wanted but I also didn't want her unhappy... during the time spent. Maybe chasing my lunch around wasn't the smartest thing for her to be doing but we were out at lunch sharing time. But to her maybe it was a silly game... I don't know; She's a strange bird.

So I can understand where you're coming from with that. Of course now I come from a place where people might think I'm ignoring them when I'm just over it and really don't care... I can focus and listen like nobody's business but that's what has always gotten me into trouble. So I tend to keep myself thousands of light years away in some unknown quadrant that looks like empty space.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I won't lie. There were jobs I absolutely hated and wouldn't work again if I had any choice about it now, *but* there are also things I learned about myself and work in general from every single job I ever held, too.

For example, I hated working at Target, *but* it was the right job at the right place at the right time at a juncture in our lives when we were making a transition from college to adult life. My husband had just had his big break into a real corporate opportunity, and I *needed* something to make ends meet. That job was full-time and it was about a mile away from where we lived allowing me to walk to and from taking pressure off us to become two-car for a critical period of time.

So yeah, I hated it, but it was a life saver at a time that we needed it to establish ourselves, so I wouldn't change having endured it. Where we are now is worth it.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

Absolutely, I would know to lift with my legs, and I could still be climbing stuff and doing backflips out of trees.

My rule of thumb :
Use your brain , not your back .

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
i would have capitalized more on the contacts i made.

maybe taken a short stint to the dark side with some of them, or got rich either way. or dead.

as i get older, it's hard not to think about woulda, coulda,shoulda.

new topics

top topics

join