It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oats and more (recipes)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   
So, some of you may know this trick, but for those who don't I thought I'd share.

Steel cut oats are 10x better than regular rolled oats and they're more nutritious too, but they can take a while to cook. Time you may not have. Plus, if the 'S' ever 'HTF' (which seem a lot more likely lately) finding rolled / instant oats isn't going to be easy. Here's a trick you can use which turns out some spectacular oats with little effort. This works if you have a decent wide mouth thermos.

First, heat the thermos up with hot water (to the top, you can use the water for something else later (i.e. coffee, whatever).

Now, while the thermos is warming up, measure out oats and water in a 1:2.5 ratio (less water is okay). Boil the water. When the water comes to a boil, dump out the warm water from the thermos and dump in the steel cut oats, and then the boiling water. You can add other stuff like raisins or dried cranberries if you like. Don't put any salt in the oats like you usually would (you'll add it later). Put the lid on the thermos, shake the thermos and lay it on its side.

Let the thermos sit for about 45-50 minutes (good time to do some chores). You don't have to mess with it. Longer won't hurt. Come back after the time is up, open the thermos and toss in a pinch of salt and stir. Your steel cut oats are now ready to eat...and boy are they GOOD!

It's called "thermos cooking" and it really does work. I can make some in the morning when I get up. I use the thermos heating water for coffee. I can go take a shower, feed the livestock and come in to a hot and delicious breakfast which required zero minding while it cooked. Dump/spoon out the oats into a bowl and add honey or whatever and you've got a breakfast which is both nutritious and filling (not to mention cheap and easy).

You can also do a similar thing with noodles. For quick standby food I buy these Knorr noodle pouches, you can get them anywhere. (They're less than a buck each, and the shelf life is forever) Something like broccolli cheese, alfredo or parmesan, etc. Heat the thermos up as described above. At the same time boil the recommended amount of water. When the water is boiling, dump out the heating water and dump in the pack of noodles along with the boiling water. You can let it sit just like this, but what I do is add some canned chicken breast to it for extra protein. I usually throw in a little black pepper too, because you can never have enough black pepper! (white pepper is good too). Let the thermos sit for 45 min to an hour, and voila'!, you've got a delicious hot meal (maybe even for two).

Try it sometime, you might be impressed!

ETA - Oh, and just a word of caution...when you put the lid on the thermos, don't screw it on really tight, only tight enough to just seal it (no more). If there's any air volume in the thermos when you put the lid on after putting the boiling water inside that air volume will contract as it cools and suck the lid on tighter to the point dynamite won't take that sucker off! (don't ask me how I know this! I use this method sometimes for work lunches and one time I thought I was going to have to take a sawzall to my thermos to get at my lunch! I did get it off, but it took a pipe wrench to do it, and then my lid was messed up after that.)
edit on 12/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Ive grown to love my McCann's Steel Cut oats still working through a case that I got last year. But add any dried or fresh fruit cinnamon and a little honey and Im good to go usually till dinner. Especially on those cold winter mornings.

Ive had decent results letting them soak overnight and heat them in the microwave in the morning. Ive literally have so much I probably need to do some protein bars or something.

Make 5 days of oatmeal in advance by adding 1 cup of McCann’s® Steel Cut Irish Oats to 4 cups of water and cooking as per the Quick Soak Method. Allow the oatmeal to cool and store individual servings in plastic bags, covered plastic storage containers or glass bowls covered with plastic film. These can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 5 days. Alternatively, the oatmeal can be frozen in individual plastic food storage bags for up to 3 months.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

McCanns rock!! I needed to get some more today and they were out of McCann's ☹. Had to go with a bag of Bob's Red Mill and a can of Quaker. McCann's are definitely the best, but they were cleaned out.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:43 PM
link   

YUM!

With oatmeal, I sometimes add peanut butter and a bit of brown sugar, or cinnamon, cut up apples or raisins and brown sugar, or banana slices. You can add walnuts too.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Peanut butter...hmmm...that's an interesting twist I hadn't heard of.

I'm gonna' have to try that!! Sounds great.

I assume you put the peanut butter in after they're done, correct?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Pardon, "Oats and Hallways" - Jane Austin's lost classic.
edit on 17-12-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Easy oats/sago porridge:

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

YUM!

With oatmeal, I sometimes add peanut butter and a bit of brown sugar, or cinnamon, cut up apples or raisins and brown sugar, or banana slices. You can add walnuts too.

Damn, that would make a good protein bar too, I love green apples and peanut butter together for some reason. Im always on the lookout for a healthy snack.

Here Georgia when the peaches are in season, peach a little half and half, and brown sugar is sooooo good. Ive even done maple and crumble bacon if I'm low on fruit. Works better in grits or Cream of Wheat but it isn't bad if you would like a savory oatmeal in the morning.
edit on 18-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I recently learned that I have a wheat sensitivity. Many commercial oats are contaminated with wheat. As a result, I gave over 30 pounds of oats to my local church that feeds the homeless. It was perfectly fine to eat, as it was commercially packaged with oxygen absorbers. Now, I'm trying some of that fancy gluten free oatmeal. Irony. I've made fun of people for eating gluten free stuff, but that's because they didn't have a medical reason for eating it.
edit on 18 12 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Before any sauces or dishes, how to cook basic sago:

A basic carb, but there are apparently other benefits.
Superior to pasta or rice.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 18-12-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Yes, peanut butter added after the oats are cooked.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 09:36 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join