It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Humanity has touched the sun' in a pioneering achievement for space exploration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
an article:

'Humanity has touched the sun' in a pioneering achievement for space exploration

NASA's Parker Solar Probe dipped into the sun's atmosphere to sample particles from the corona.

"The Parker Solar Probe has entered, for the first time, the Sun’s magnetic atmosphere, where it started to gather data that could help researchers solve some of the greatest mysteries of solar physics."

Abstract:

The high temperatures and strong magnetic fields of the solar corona form streams of solar wind that expand through the Solar System into interstellar space. At 09:33 UT on 28 April 2021 Parker Solar Probe entered the magnetized atmosphere of the Sun 13 million km above the photosphere, crossing below the Alfvén critical surface for five hours into plasma in casual contact with the Sun with an Alfvén Mach number of 0.79 and magnetic pressure dominating both ion and electron pressure. The spectrum of turbulence below the Alfvén critical surface is reported. Magnetic mapping suggests the region was a steady flow emerging on rapidly expanding coronal magnetic field lines lying above a pseudostreamer. The sub-Alfvénic nature of the flow may be due to suppressed magnetic reconnection at the base of the pseudostreamer, as evidenced by unusually low densities in this region and the magnetic mapping.

source:

www.livescience.com...

journals.aps.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lux666

Cool! A family member got my daughters name onto the probe and she has a certificate about it. So this means my daughters name, along with 1 million+ other names have gone through sun's atmosphere.

I guess because the electronics still work, the names are not wiped yet! I can't wait to explain my daughter when she's able to understand it.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lux666

Thanks for posting..
Your link is taking a bit to load for me.
In the meantime.
youtu.be...

And..
youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Well and how did that work out for Ikarus

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The spacecraft is covered with animal bones.
Independent

A black surface coats the titanium foil and is made from powdered baked animal bones.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Why won't the Parker Solar Probe melt?
They're going at night.

.....I'll show myself out.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
A more accurate title would be "robots have touched the sun because we haven't engineered a vehicle to carry people 183 million miles through space and back home again"

(For scope, the planet we live on is >239,000 miles from the moon, and we all know what a profitable and easily imitable cake walk that was for humans)

But hey, I'm sure that radiation data will be useful for something relevant to our quality of life on Earth, since the money we spent on that probe isn't coming back.

edit on 17-12-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Well Im sure the animators and CGI people had their skills tested with this one

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

But hey, I'm sure that radiation data will be useful for something relevant to our quality of life on Earth, since the money we spent on that probe isn't coming back.

Suddenly, I'm picturing a shrimp running on a treadmill.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

It was actually pretty difficult. The biggest problem that Kubrick had was making the lights look realistic.
It was fantasy logic to begin with, but they did the best they could.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"White men" have touched the sun.

top topics

join