It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Pet - What Is In A Name?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My dog, his name is Bruiser aka Bruisey dooby doo

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Very similar story. Years back, I had picked up an Australian Cattle Dog mix from the spca, he was a rescue from some flooded area and sent to my local spca.
They gave him the name "Paco", and the dog literally didn't flinch when you called his name.
My roommate and I figured that he must have had a name before he was rescued, so we started just saying random names to see if anything registered.
Utterly frustrated, my roommate said "aww, nevermind, ya meatball". Dog immediately perked up, and came running over. We called him meatball from that day on.
My current dog is a chihuahua/American Eskimo mix. A bit larger than a chihuahua, and much stockier. He is mostly black, with a white bib, and when we got him he had a small white patch on his forehead, much like Ash Wednesday.
My wife decided we would call him Smudge, and because she's also an artist, she felt it had double meaning. Meanwhile, I'm a big fan of the band King's X, and they have a great song called Smudge. I agreed on the name.
He's been a happy guy with his name for 6 years now.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I have three dogs, and have many names which they like and respond to

The oldest is 9, male. Given name Bear. AKA - Gary, Thelmy, Thelms and Debbie
Second is 8, female. Given name Harley Quinn. AKA - H.Q. Diva, Deeves
Third is 4, female. Given name Lady Bird. AKA - Birdie, Bird, Lady, GG, Google

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CHL2T

All of mine have variations on their names, used for times of most emphasis.

When they have been exceptionally good or exceptionally bad, or just plain brats.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Granitebones
You are a Rik Mayall fan?
Did you see the last film he was in?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

When I was in my pre-teens a cat came visiting our garden and because we gave him some food at regular times he stayed around more often and slowly became part of the family. For some odd reason we never gave him a name in all those 17 years he stayed with us.. and nobody inmy family ever felt giving him one. He was the best sweetest and meanest cat of the neighborhood.. R.I.P. ...cat.

The cat I have now was named Isis by her first owner. She and her sister were the last two of the litter and I took both of them.. I did not know their names at the time when I took them in and called one of the sisters Isis and the other one Moya because she had the colours of the spaceship Moya in a sci-fi tv-series. Later I discovered that Moya was given the name Isis by her first owner.. Whats in a name...and why. Confusing..? yes I know..

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

When they have been exceptionally good or exceptionally bad, or just plain brats.

LOL! Yeah, mine only get called their given names when they've #ed up!

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
You are a Rik Mayall fan?
Did you see the last film he was in?

I'm not sure. What was the title?

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
One by One.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

LOL! Yeah, mine only get called their given names when they've #ed up!

Funny how they know that too.

Call them by their given name and they straighten right up. Maxx runs straight to his crate and sits at attention. Grinning that, "What?" "I have been here the whole time." grin.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I have a pet Name bobo.
edit on 27-2-2022 by Shaynesherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I think it's more a matter of the vocalization made to ID the animal in question being appealing to their ears. When we adopted our cats, we actually only outright changed Leo's from Perseus for name fit reasons, it just didn't fit his personality (he ain't slaying anything, not even a Gorgon)

Meeko's named after a dog in Skyrim, lol. Not because of name fits, but just because he (cat) seemed to respond enthusiastically to it & that was a done deal for hubs.

For what it's worth, the kids pointed out they have distinct IDing meows for hubs and myself.
They really do try to meow "Meeyaaah!" (Mom) and "Nnnyaaah!" (Dad) as closely as possible.

They're also Siamese mixes, and smart & crafty as hell. Should I expect the cat mafia dons here to speak clearly someday during a canned food shakedown?

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

For what it's worth, the kids pointed out they have distinct IDing meows for hubs and myself. They really do try to meow "Meeyaaah!" (Mom) and "Nnnyaaah!" (Dad) as closely as possible.

I think you are right. My Huskies definitely have different sounds that mean different things.

They have their, I want to go outside to do my business vocals, their I want to go out to play vocals, and my I just feel like telling you off and I "will" have the last word, vocals.

Enoch has the loudest most demanding yell when he wants to eat. You can't ever say Enoch is ever hungry, because he never stops eating long enough to get hungry. But him and Sylvester both have this high quiet yowww, they do when they are outside and want to come in.

Everyone of them, my four Huskies, and the two Huscats, have this wicked, mind chilling, way of just sitting in front of you and staring. I know they want something, and most of the time I know what it is, but on that odd occasion when I can't figure it out, they let me know that are not happy.

posted on Mar, 10 2022 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Dogs

Leepshun proper spelling Liebchen
Schatzi
Blue
Elmore
Sheriff
Mason
Project BINGO

edit on 10-3-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: ol

edit on 10-3-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: ol

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned
Dogs

Leepshun proper spelling Liebchen
Schatzi
Blue
Elmore
Sheriff
Mason
Project BINGO

I love the names of your dogs.

I did not name Bellah or Maxx, that was the names they were registered under when I rescued them.

They seemed to like them, do I did not change their names.

I rarely call Maxx outside of his name. Now for Bellah, I do sometimes call her a few names that I don't say out loud.

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thats almost 50 years of Dogs. Those are the names of all MY dogs since birth. No pure bred..All Shepards and hounds..So many memories..I don't have a mut of my own right now..my children do though.
Names of kids dogs are as follows
Saige..
Bailey
Bandit
Ki Ki
Pepsi
These are all fosters that we adopted as pups..Kids dogs are pets/companions
My personal dogs growing up were all workers and MINE only..Project BINGO was MY last personal animal, and he had everything I had learned from all my other dogs plus his natural ability..He was Border Collie/Pitbull..I had always said I would never own a pitbull, I was told they were a faulty breed and could not be trusted..Maybe it was the Border Collie, but trust was that dogs dominant characteristic..truly amazing creature.
Sheriff was a female Blue Heeler..she was my fishing dog.

So many dog stories.

Cats (outside and inside)

Lil Kat
Fish Stick
Marion
Hazel Grace
Mocha

edit on 11-3-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: names

posted on Mar, 11 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The dog is called Muttley. Describes him perfectly. As the is as daft as a brush.

posted on Mar, 12 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My 2 1/2 are:

Dude - neighbor's cat who is the friendliest of the 2 1/2. He does freak out and bite at times, I haven't figured that out yet.
Buddy - my boy and he's pissing all over the house which is making me lean into kicking the cats out of the house.
Pretty Girl - my girl cat, skittish as hell, don't have much of a relationship with her.

I know, really creative names. I've done better in the past, Mr. Brownstone - Stoney - a brown dog and I thought the GNR tune was fitting. Rowan came from an Ann Rice book.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join