It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you Reading right now? / Reading list

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   
So, what are you reading right now?

I'm a book guy when it comes to reading; I can't really read well on a kindle or other device (at least not yet). I'm also a paper nut, so I need the book feel and the whole experience. Whatever reading you do it still good though. Too many people just don't read anymore, or if they do it's 65 characters at a time and / or requires a picture else they get bored and go play a video game.

Right now I'm reading Emerson (Ralph Waldo), kind of his complete works. Just going through the essays right now. Next on my list is to dive into some Thoreau (Henry David) which I haven't read since college (and then not all of it).

Just some "light" reading! LOL!

What are you reading?

posted on Dec, 15 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am not reading anything in the “classics” range, but re-reading cryptonomicon and snow crash from Neal Stephenson. The man is an amazing author. While not comedy, there are times where he has me laughing out loud. His vision of North America in the not too distant future are eerily prophetic in some ways.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I was reading a book by Clive Barker, Mister B. Gone, wherein the book itself is actually a demon trying to convince you to stop reading it. I misplaced it the second night and have not been able to find it since. Its been missing a month now. I am wondering if it really was a demon and went into hiding at this point. Obviously a mass produced book would be anything but. Still though, i cant find the damned thing and i only got to like page 35.

I never left the house with it. Kids swear they did not hide it. I just want to finish it. Has to be a funny ending .

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I assume you mean what I am reading for fun.

I just finished reading: The Caveman Mystique by Martha McCaughey.

And I just started reading: Science, Evolution, and Creationism by the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Its called "Uncovering the Missing Secret of Magnetism"

it's mind blowing. It's about the Ether and how Gravity, Magnetism, Electricity, and Matter are all products of the ether basically. I really recommend it to any one here thats into physics. I gotta pause and think about every paragraph i read so its kinda taking a while.

ia802502.us.archive.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Patrick Duffy's Man From Atlantis in case you wondered how old a badly aging geek I am.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   
words.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of the Unbeliever
The entire series again .

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I assume you mean what I am reading for fun.

Yes, that is essentially what I meant. I say 'essentially' only because there are times, while reading Emerson, that I wonder if I have a warped understanding of the word "fun".

edit on 12/16/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I often have two or three books going on parallel, depends on what mood I am in.

Currently:

Aerodynamic and automobiles: A bridge between fluid mechanics and automotive engineering.
(Wolf-Heinrich Hucho)

The Rape of the Mind: The Psychology of Thought Control, Menticide, and Brainwashing
(A. M. Meerloo, M.D)

and I started Beowulf again.

What I sometimes do for smaller books is to see if I get it in English and check out if the story is differently playing in my head than in German. Thanks to Corona, my book supply from the US isn't available currently. I'd often get a used copy and get it shipped here for under 5$, waiting 8-12 weeks though.

Do own a kindle but paper is by far better, takes a lot of room though.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 02:52 AM
link   

My mate keeps harping on about Asimov so delving into the foundation series at Xmas, asked my mum to get me the first two books. Might even crack out a spliff and a bottle of nice malt for the evening reading. How I love the holiday season.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ConcernedCanadian

Quality TV!!

Re-watched it only last week.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 05:11 AM
link   

At this moment I would have to say your thread.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru
a reply to: ConcernedCanadian

Quality TV!!

Re-watched it only last week.

Right on!

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I just started The Humanure Handbook.

We're setting up a semi-off-grid homestead and I plan to use a compost toilet, so trying to educate myself to do it right. The first few chapters delve into the place of microbes in our world and it's fascinating.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The Urantia Book
I'm going through it from beginning to end and taking notes as I go. I'm currently on Paper 54 - Problems of the Lucifer Rebellion.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Yeah, I generally have more than one book going at a time also.

Sometimes you just need some variety. Variety is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Right now? This. Author usually has a pretty decent message.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
The Urantia Book
I'm going through it from beginning to end and taking notes as I go. I'm currently on Paper 54 - Problems of the Lucifer Rebellion.

Interesting.

ETA - Actually, very interesting! I had to go look that up to get a deeper understanding. I may have to add this to my reading list. I'd never heard of it before. Sounds like it will keep a person busy for a while, reading the whole thing!
edit on 12/16/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   
As long as it's different topics it works for me, I could not read three novels at once that would be confusing.

Fascinating also how our brain turns the text into an internal head movie while reading, when it's an immersing book.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join