It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! My husband is drowning in propaganda Kool-aid!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I have spent months showing him the growing evidence against the 'vaccines', Fauci, etc., and trying to get him to see how totalitarian Europe, Australia, & the UK have become...
And he still refuses to believe that anything 'nefarious' is going on!

Today, I was trying to get him to understand that he is biased by media (such as NPR, which has become quite polarized) whereas my perspective comes from reading sources on both 'sides' as well as research outside of media and using 'reason' to determine the 'likeliest' truth...

His response was to assert that I am biased because, "You don't trust the government."!!

Whereupon he had to leave for an appointment.

Am I nuts?!?
I have to ask - does anyone out there actually "trust the government"? Any government?

How does a 60 year old man, in this day and age, manage to be so deluded as to believe that any group of politicians is truly trustworthy?

So, on that note - please everyone - point me to the simplest, most basic documentaries on (proven) government 'shenanigans' that you've seen, so I can educate my husband...
...since he still thinks democrats are 'the good guys' - videos skewing that direction might be most helpful.

Thanks all!

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   
If he doesn't believe you with what you have shown and explained to him, then it is a waste of time.

Closed minds often never open.

a reply to: lostgirl

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I find that once you can get an individual to believe a simple conspiracy it is easier to get them to look at the bigger ones.

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When you start treating your marriage like a bad social media exchange it's pretty much in the crapper.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It sort of sounds like you're growing apart. I hope everything works out.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Makes no sense, so glad I grew up in the Watergate era, we trust no government regardless of affiliation.

There are always ulterior motives, it's how governments operate now.

Do these COVID figures look scary? but how are they presenting this?

www.bbc.com...

That said let people learn at their own pace, makes it tough when it's a spouse, though.

I know sometimes in relationships people can use outside topics as proxies for actual internal disagreements. Watch out for the curveball if it happens...

also, be careful in long-term relationships a man's default setting when discussing any topic with said partner, can degrade to "oh that's a bunch of bull crap" even if we don't say it most of the time we are thinking it.
edit on 13-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When you start treating your marriage like a bad social media exchange it's pretty much in the crapper.

i disagree with most of you what you say but this takes the #ing cake man. terrible outlook.

she's trying to save her kids from something that has been proven to cause serious long term health problems and death.

you think its a social media exchange. you are a horrible human being.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Don't let them drive you apart. It's what they want.

I recently had a sitdown with a crowd of people who had exactly the opposite opinions to me. I listened, they listened. At times the conversation got heated. We drank beer. At the end of the night we still had our own opinions, but bridges had been built and some misconceptions destroyed. Common human decency and a little respect lead to a great discussion.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

When you come to the internet looking for ammunition to use against your husband in an argument you're pretty much off the deep end when it comes to understanding how to communicate in a marriage (or any relationship for that matter).

It figures some people won't get it, they aren't interested in having a meaningful conversation with their significant other, they want to brow beat them. I pity whomever you're with.

ETA: And where TF are you getting anything about kids in the Original Post? Not even mentioned. Stop making things up.

edit on 13-12-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Next time you have this discussion...wear a sexy negligee'

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
she's trying to save her kids from something that has been proven to cause serious long term health problems and death.

GTFO here, she never even mentioned kids, just her 60 year old husband.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

LOL, right? Someone who can't even read is going to hand out communication advice.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl
I have spent months showing him the growing evidence against the 'vaccines', Fauci, etc., and trying to get him to see how totalitarian Europe, Australia, & the UK have become...
And he still refuses to believe that anything 'nefarious' is going on!

Today, I was trying to get him to understand that he is biased by media (such as NPR, which has become quite polarized) whereas my perspective comes from reading sources on both 'sides' as well as research outside of media and using 'reason' to determine the 'likeliest' truth...

His response was to assert that I am biased because, "You don't trust the government."!!

Whereupon he had to leave for an appointment.

Am I nuts?!?
I have to ask - does anyone out there actually "trust the government"? Any government?

How does a 60 year old man, in this day and age, manage to be so deluded as to believe that any group of politicians is truly trustworthy?

So, on that note - please everyone - point me to the simplest, most basic documentaries on (proven) government 'shenanigans' that you've seen, so I can educate my husband...
...since he still thinks democrats are 'the good guys' - videos skewing that direction might be most helpful.

Thanks all!

Perhaps, he is entitled to his own opinion just as much as you are?

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'm in much the same place with my parents and understanding of the recent years.

I've watched them go from outgoing, social people to glued to the TV in fear, not wanting my unvaxxed being in their presence. I've tried explaining, not to change their minds but to express why I feel as I do and they won't hear any of it. Just treat me like I'm crazy, saying they'll even pay for me to "get help"

Ugh.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Covid had been proven to cause serious long term health problems and death.

Prove me wrong.

Sounds like your husband isn't buying your you-tube "proof"

Sounds like your husband trusts doctors and not politically motivated people that KNOW NOTHING about the science of a pandemic.

Smart fella.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have always admired the way you use unfair and inaccurate characterizations to justify your negativity.

According to you she is looking for "ammunition" when she clearly asked for

...the simplest, most basic documentaries on (proven) government 'shenanigans' that you've seen, so I can educate my husband
"

According to you 'she' doesn't understand how to communicate. It is apparent from what she said that it is her liberal husband who has a problem understanding communication, things most people grasp fairly quickly.

According to you she doesn't want to have a meaningful conversation with her husband, she wants to brow beat him. I guess you came to that conclusion when she said she was trying to show him the media bias he has fallen victim to. Yeah, that is most people's definition of brow beating...

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If he brings up the subject of 'not trusting the government' I would calmly refer to the government's Project MK Ultra, which went on for 20 years. It's not debatable. It's proven. The government admitted it.

It was a CIA program that illegally experimented on American and Canadian citizens.

For two decades, the government recruited 80 institutions and 185 private researchers to use biological, chemical, and radiological agents on unsuspecting citizens to develop ways to control their behavior. They most often chose "people who could not fight back", like prisoners, mental patients, prostitutes, and drug addicts.

MK Ultra is just one reason not to trust the government. IMO people who trust the govt are naive and\or uninformed.

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: booyakasha

LOL not gonna lie I was gonna pile in on AM but damn, nothing looks worse to make up crap to try and prove a point on a message board no less.

Not to mention at 60 years old their "kids" are fricking adults if they have any...

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I get all my marriage advice from Instagram and Reddit.

To the OP?

If you're old, in love and married who cares?

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Have you considered that you have been exposed to some sources who are just lying?

The assumption that you have made is that because you have received information from an array of sources, that it gives a broader overview. But much of that information may not be from reliable sources.

If you saw something in a video, you probably can't easily verify that what is presented is true. The same with voluminous social media posts and reposts. Popularity, in that case, is more related to shock value, rather than truth.

Many of the 'alternate' sources decry credentialled and verifiable sources as being false, without any foundation or proof, and they of course, can offer no evidence supporting their conclusions.

Once you begin to take a skeptical view of everything presented and begin to actually narrow down what you will accept as fact (because both sides present falsehoods) you will begin to get a cleared view.

Also, look for contradictions as evidence of falsehood (like stories that the virus started from a woman having bat soup, when bats cannot be infected by the virus, so they aren't its direct source, and cooking also destroys viruses). Look for inflammatory and overly emotional language (like calling a 'seafood market', a 'wet market') and think of motivational factors for someone to misrepresent things (like applying a nationalist or racist epithet, to a fairly universally human-affecting disease).

Check sources. Check people's names and bio's. Check out whatever other things they say. Just simply be skeptical. At least you will be truly informed more than those who just accept what is presented to them first and most frequently.

Also, an academic preprint paper does not mean it is truthful. Find out if the paper has been peer reviewed and examined by others with similar credentials to the writer. Also consider that research is often undertaken under funding and grants, and so conclusions may be biased toward being favorable to the funder.

Learn lots.

edit on 13/12/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join