It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been down in the gutter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Absolutely I agree. None of my prosperity came free I treasure it because I struggled and fought and carved my happiness out of the world myself.

I knew a person who walked the same path as me but was born with a silver spoon. They never could under stand the value of a heard earned dollar and by extension everything was disposable. They never got sober and died after numerous times attending rehab. She knew that if she failed she could always just try again because the money would always be there to try to fix her. She over dosed and died eventually.

For me I knew I had only one chance to get well and I didn’t pretended that there would be any sort of future for me if I didn’t fix what was broken.

My life is far far from perfect serenity but I wouldn’t trade any part of what I am have now for anything.

a reply to: MiddleInsite

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DreadKnock

I am almost 2 years sober now. I found a church with people like me, and I feel at home there.

Every church has people like you.

We are all broken or damaged in some way. Even those that may look flawless on the outside, are not free of imperfections, they just are either not noticeable, or so deep they go unseen until they get blindsided.

It took me a long time before I stumbled onto a church that works at sharing unconditional love.

I never realized the full benefit of what was available to me as a member of our church, until I stopped being a weekly Sunday visitor, and became a productive member of the church family,

I encourage people to become active members in their local communities. I encourage people to make the corrections in their communities were they find flaws. Church is a good place to start for some.

I used to complain about the youngsters, and their foolish antics. I now dedicate a couple days a week volunteering in activities that provide our youth with the ability to socialize, and be involved physically in activities where they feel safe, loved, and accepted, just the way they are.

You have done well. I call your post a testimony of gratitude and praise. I too wish you a joyous and blessed New Year, and all the years to come.

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Just remember, someone like Paris Hilton will never appreciate how lucky she is, since she's never struggled pretty much her entire life. And it shows in her character.

I’m not crazy about Paris Hilton but she did not have an easy normal upbringing. You may want to read up on her before you judge her.

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Have you ever been down in the gutter

Yes and in my drug and alcohol induced psychosis, I romanticized it, by claiming it was existentialism and looking for experiences to write the great American Novel. It took till I was 40 yrs old to finally admit that I was a pathetic drunk.

Thanks to a wonderful woman and the 12 step program of AA, I am finally able to live the dream I always wanted but was always to sick to reach out for the golden ring.

But in retrospect, my days living in my truck, working odd jobs and busking on the street playin the blues still seems romantic but if I dig a little deeper there was a sleeze factor that can't be ignored.
edit on 11-12-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hey ATS members.
We all have a journey in life that gives us hope once after we fall down into the pit of hopelessness . I didn't think anyone would reply, but thanks everyone.

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You are correct, of course. All of your points are well stated, and give me things to think about. I am trying to be more than just a Sunday visitor. Yesterday was my first time attending the men's study group, and I loved it. I will try to think of other ways than I can give back.

Thank you for your response.

Also, thank you musicismagic, for starting this thread. It felt good to talk about things.

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DreadKnock

You are correct, of course. All of your points are well stated, and give me things to think about. I am trying to be more than just a Sunday visitor. Yesterday was my first time attending the men's study group, and I loved it. I will try to think of other ways than I can give back.

Also, thank you musicismagic, for starting this thread. It felt good to talk about things.

you are most welcome
times are very tough these days with so many restrictions on our life
as a child and teen, life was grand and freedom was not at all expensive to enjoy

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DreadKnock

I joined a Bible Study group over seven years ago. It was slow going, because I was a person that believed in God, but I had no love for religion outside of the word.

During my third visit to the church, I was invited to a mew members meeting. I was upfront and honest with the Pastor, and told him about my distrust and dislike of man made religion. I was very surprised and pleased hat he understood, and told me that he wasn't there to try to sell me on anything, but he was available anytime I had any questions that he might be able to answer for me. The church was a Bible teaching church and was Bible based.

It took me about another year before I joined a local Bible study. My first couple of meetings I was hesitant, asked a bunch of questions I was sure was going to get me kicked out, and finally realized and accepted that my Bible Study had become my family.

I live in a rural area, so local community connections are much easier to make. It may not be as easy for those in other areas. I grew up as a Roman Catholic. I will not go so far to say that I have left the Catholic Church. Doing that is like saying I have left the country girl in me behind. What I will say is that I am not as interested in the church building as I am with the people who are the church.

As Paul tried to get across to the people of Phillippi. We are the church, we are family. We are not perfect, we will slip and we will fall, but we should be there to pick up those that need support, and help getting back on their feet.

That is the way I see it.

posted on Dec, 12 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks for all your replies .
life is so difficult these days
how can we escape all these difficulties

posted on Dec, 12 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Thanks for all your replies .
life is so difficult these days
how can we escape all these difficulties

You can't. And putting too much energy and priority into escaping life's challenges will lead you into a life not worth living.

Man has been tricked into believing a bush full of pheasants is worth more than one in the hand,

We never learn.

posted on Dec, 14 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You can’t you have to learn to cope with the world on your own terms. Be strong when strength is required. Be caring when compassion is needed.

a reply to: musicismagic

top topics

<< 1   >>

join