It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand set to ban smoking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
While smoking would not be called a health prescription by anyone, it can also be said that banning it is none of anyone's business. Just as suspected, the current world climate and measures will continue to limit whatever they damn well please, and eventually they will link it to the vax-pass.

So you don't smoke? Good for you! What about drinking? What will happen there? Or smoking weed or anything else the powers that be deem unfit for you to do as a citizen of Prison Planet Earth?

LINK

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: thebtheb

pfft new zealand would be be dead already if my tobacco consumption had any say in the matter

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   

why not ban saving money? Ban days off. Ban smiling. We gave these #tards all this power, they may as well use it up while they have it. NZ was dumb enough to have a guy from another country come shoot it up for the expressed purpose of making them turn in their gunz, and they complied. So thoughtful leadership doesn't seem like the norm down that way.

But they just told Australia "hold my beer".

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
well at least it looks like they are actually doing it the right way.

New Zealand has announced it will outlaw smoking for the next generation, so that those who are aged 14 and under today will never be legally able to buy tobacco. New legislation means the legal smoking age will increase every year, to create a smoke-free generation of New Zealanders, associate health minister Dr Ayesha Verrall said on Thursday.

this is actually the way i have said in the past that it should be done. my only issue is instead of those 14, the currant age of cutoff should be 10-12, since many are already addicted to it by 14.

by doing it this way it doesn't cause harm to those heavily addicted and can't quit, while at the same time stopping people from starting, and thus getting addicted in the first place.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Covid just opened the door for governments to take away freedoms.

And people cheer this kind of crap.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
well at least it looks like they are actually doing it the right way.

New Zealand has announced it will outlaw smoking for the next generation, so that those who are aged 14 and under today will never be legally able to buy tobacco. New legislation means the legal smoking age will increase every year, to create a smoke-free generation of New Zealanders, associate health minister Dr Ayesha Verrall said on Thursday.

this is actually the way i have said in the past that it should be done. my only issue is instead of those 14, the currant age of cutoff should be 10-12, since many are already addicted to it by 14.

by doing it this way it doesn't cause harm to those heavily addicted and can't quit, while at the same time stopping people from starting, and thus getting addicted in the first place.

But what's to prevent them from doing this with anything? Alcohol? Pretty soon it will be: "You must prove to the government that you've had 60 minutes of exercise this week."

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
*checks notes* My understanding is that smoking damages ACE receptors which inhibits the "sticking" factor of viral infection, for lack of better terminology. Smoking might be saving lives, or just making basic survival slightly more palatable.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

This article makes me want to become a smoker..

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=262522]

Aren't there studies showing that smoking inhibits the virus' ability to adhere to lung tissue?

Interesting connection here.

I've always said, the logic being applied to keep the virus at bay doesn't make sense.

However the logic that does fit based on the actions taken is that they want it to spread, mutate and spread some more.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Didn’t the kiwi’s just have a referendum on legalising weed, which completely failed, a year or so back?

Kind of an odd failure, tbh. Considering every kiwi I know is a major bong head!

But anyway, seems you guys have become way too comfortable with your cushy little lifestyles and let the government walk right over ya.

Don’t even bother moving to Australia either, like you all seem to love to do, just because the wages a better... however bad you got it over there with government over reach, I guarantee over here is worse!

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

As a NZ resident, who has had children, and where many of their friends are now addicted to cigarettes, I applaud this.

We have been through decades of falsehoods promulgated by a tobacco industry, and centuries of preventable disease unambiguously linked to tobacco smoking.

Governments have cooperated in the crimes of these companies promoting addiction, even raising excise from sales, it is good that there is now action to reduce and eliminate the industry. And starting with the youngest is a reasonable method to achieve that goal.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

We have been through decades of falsehoods promulgated by a tobacco industry, and centuries of preventable disease unambiguously linked to tobacco smoking.

Isn't it ironic....dontya think? Considering your documented position on the 'vid vaccine?

Governments have cooperated in the crimes of these companies promoting addiction, even raising excise from sales, it is good that there is now action to reduce and eliminate the industry.

I'm going to patiently wait for the audible click to happen between yer ears.

edit on 9-12-2021 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Next they will have to limit how much people can buy or people will be selling them to the underage. Then they will have to do house raids to ensure you aren’t growing it. You know that saying…give them an inch and they will take a mile. Well the left gave the government a whole mile, so imagine what they will actually take.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There not banning it at all, just greatly restricting its sale to around 500 outlets.

But they should ban it outright as should all nations.

Filthy disgusting smelly unsanitary habit that it is, it's not like smokers have any type of etiquette about whose about when they smoke or where they leave their UNBIODEGRADABLE butts.

Most smokers say they wish they could quit anyhow- lets help them.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

SO smoking shouldn't be an individual choice, it should be determined by government.

How. . . . authoritarian.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

This article makes me want to become a smoker..

I don’t know about that, but they may want enjoy their favorite foods before their government restricts their daily calorie intake.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
*********NOT SAYING LETTING MINORS SMOKE IS ALL GOOD******************* BUT

I swear sometimes I think the reason my generation was so chill and was very apolitical was we had smoking areas in high school, at least we did here in Georgia, and back then our high school started in 8th grade. Pretty sure Columbine was after smoking was banned not to mention nowadays teens are tweaking on all kinds of crap. My sister would have been a nightmare if she didn't smoke well, she would have been much more of a nightmare.

Just saying some people need extra help with their coping skills...

Not sure of the wisdom of this when New Zealand's young person suicide rates are one of the highest in the first world.
edit on 9-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Covid just opened the door for governments to take away freedoms.

And people cheer this kind of crap.

Did anyone really think it would end with COVID or the vaccines?

Did it end with dumping your toiletries in the trash cans? Taking off your shoes? Having your Depends checked? Being x-rayed?

Once they kick down the door, a handle and lock are useless.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

As a NZ resident, who has had children, and where many of their friends are now addicted to cigarettes, I applaud this.

This does not surprise me at all from you. With all due respect you have to be one of, if not the most pro-authoritarian member on this forum.

I agree that the tobacco industry is filth but it is a really slippery slope when the government expands its control over what YOU do with YOUR body. Anyway, with this proposed law someone else can just buy your tobacco for you.

If this gets through, next is a ban or limitation on alcohol, you mark my words.

F the authoritarians.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join