It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Times athlete of the year

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Time magazine has named it's athlete of the year.
An athlete that decided not to compete.

Simone biles.

"The "Athlete Of The Year" isn't Super Bowl champ Tom Brady or gold medal-winning gymnast Suni Lee ... it's Simone Biles, according to Time Magazine, who ironically receives the accolade for NOT performing."

"Biles was widely celebrated by fellow athletes and fans across the country for putting a spotlight on mental health.

However, there were also detractors who say Biles flat-out quit on her team and country ... insisting there's nothing to celebrate."

Now I can only imagine this type of reaction for other athletes and other sports.

Tom Brady...
Hey coach, I'm sitting out this Superbowl cuz I'm just not feeling it....
Ok tom you stunning and brave fella...

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with her dropping out of the Olympics had she done it before she made the team.

www.tmz.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

She is the poster child of expectations. It's white supremacy to finish what you start, fight through your fears, push your own limit... Etc
It only makes sense she would be given the award, not win, be given the award.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

She deserves it. Maybe being athlete of the year is more than just being an athlete, it’s the realization that you are also…………….

Human…

And isn’t that beautiful?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Alot of choices really
I mean Colin Kapernik is still relevant
And of course LeBron James' hatred of white people deserves some accolades also
And how about all the transgender athletes setting new records as of late

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My daughter played high school volleyball.
Her freshman year they played a team that had a girl with two artificial legs. She fell on her butt time after time and got right up and did it again. She was amazing.

That was beautiful but I doubt she will be on the cover of time.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It really depends on her race and sexual persuasion

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: oddscreenname

She is the poster child of expectations. It's white supremacy to finish what you start, fight through your fears, push your own limit... Etc
It only makes sense she would be given the award, not win, be given the award.

You're unironically not kidding.

"Self-determination" is considered a negative white trait in woke culture. You can't make this sh!t up.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I don't want anyone here to think I have no sympathy for mental illness.
My dad was a Korean war vet and suffered with PTSD for the rest of his life. Every time a helicopter few near him the hair on his arms went up.

My daughter also had a friend hang himself a few years ago.

The problem is that the pendulum has swing to far in the opposite direction. At one time you hid or ignored mental problems and now it seems we are celebrating them.

I work in the employment industry and probably one third of under thirty people I interview tell me they have social anxiety issues. Instead of those issues being addressed and handled in their youth they are just given a pass and moved along.
edit on 9-12-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I don't want anyone here to think I have no sympathy for mental illness.

She got that mental illness from being repeatedly sexually assaulted as a child, not having the people she relied on help her and still went out and kicked ass.

I have no issue with her winning and if they wanted to give it to the other members of the team as a group I'd be fine with that too.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Everyone gets a trophy

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, she was definitely not protected by the people who should have been keeping an eye on her.
Probably because of greed

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
None here have, I hazard a guess, never come close to having the mental and physical strength it takes do do what Biles has accomplished. We cannot know the pressures it takes to perform at the highest levels possible before the world stage.

We do not know what she had to put up with and when exactly the straw that lost her her composure and made it impossible to pretend that all was well within the Olympic community.That community has been riddled with abuse and corruption for most of it's history.

Possibly the greatest gymnast of all time called out the abuse to help put an end to all of that. I say ''bingo''.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

She deserves it. Maybe being athlete of the year is more than just being an athlete, it’s the realization that you are also…………….

Human…

And isn’t that beautiful?

Quoting your entire post Jag. That is succinct and hits it on the head. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
Everyone gets a trophy

Do they? How many Olympic Gold Medals do you have?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Couldn't we say that about most highly successful people?
How many time have we heard criticism of millionaires and billionaires?
How many people have made the same sacrifices to be that successful?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And Biles trained for a decade at the highest levels possible. She would fall and fall and fall and fall and fall, and get right back up and fall again. Training and training.

We can applaud the young girl with two artificial legs who kept on getting up but to compare her to Biles suits more the purpose of bashing Biles. Playing volleyball, even with two artifical legs is an accomplishment, but rarely life threatening. Gymnastics is. One small error in a flip or on the bars or whatever can cost a life or a life with a broken body. Neither you nor I have much idea at all to the mental acuity and strength it takes to do what she has done.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I could go a step farther. I could sympathize had she dropped *before* starting the competition. But dropping like that on her team during the competition put all of them in a lurch and affected all of their competitive day, no matter what they say. Who knows what might have had Simone not started at all?

Additionally, most gymnasts only get one shot. Simone had two and was an outliers already. She basically likely ruined the only chance for some of those girls by not using her experience to tell her to bow out before she began.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If that is how you want to compare it, sure. However it seems that the owners and publishers of Time Magazine are also rather wealth and have risen to the tops of their profession yet here is a thread calling out their team for poor decisions. I expect that their judgement is based on their own understanding of what the public will buy and that is their profession.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I'm not trying to downplay this girls accomplishments or the amount of work she needed to get there
My criticism is how she is being treated and the timing of her quiting.

Would Tom Brady get the same grace if he dropped out of the Superbowl the day before the game?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Finally they create a "No Ribbon" award 🤣🤣🤣🤣

<<   2  3 >>

join