It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Folly of ‘Woke’ Math

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Link

"Math proficiency is white supremacy, proclaims Deborah Lowenberg Ball, a mathematics professor and former dean of the University of Michigan School of Education."

Not the onion. 2022 California will have free reign to implement as much or as little of this as they wish.
At first I was outraged at the insult to both white and black Americans. This SHOULD be the issue that wakes America up to the ridiculous nonsense of the whole woke movement.

Liberals have actually presented the argument that POC are indeed inferior to other races. My brain hurts trying to understand how anyone, including those that gain a short term advantage from it, can possibly accept and tolerate this level of stupidity and aggression towards white Americans. I can easily predict this will backfire badly for them in both the short and long term. How can any parent that actually cares about their child support this regardless of color?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Paschar0

What us the problem ?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

What is the problem ?

Math shouldn't be taught ?

edit on 1200000054212021-12-09T05:21:54-06:00215412am5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:36 AM
link   

This is why I hate the far left, just as much as I hate the far right. Everything is goddamn racist according to the far left and that is BS
edit on 9-12-2021 by 0NSL4U6T because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:55 AM
link   

just another part of the insanity. i just read an article earlier today where some schools are getting rid of "F" and "D" grades. where the idea is to get rid of "F" period,and only use "D" very sparingly. opting to let "failing students" redo failed tests and work, and if the don't do it to instead of "failing", calling it "incomplete".

this is just stupid, what do they honestly think will happen? the only thing it will even achieve is to hurt more students, since of course at this point a "C" grade, will become the new "F". because of course at that point a "C" will be the defacto lowest grade and thus a "fail". which will also have the effect of those only capable of getting a "C", much more likely to just give up since they are a "failure", no matter how much they try. where currently while not the best grade, it still means they passed and thus are capable. where a "D" still means they passed, barely, and with some work might be able to do better. and of coarse an "F" means they have failed.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I'm only average at maths. I didnt realise I was black.

Edit: I just passed hy a mirror and it turns I am indeed White. I have to say I'm relieved because I would have made a miserable black person.
edit on 9-12-2021 by Granitebones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0

Liberals have actually presented the argument that POC are indeed inferior to other races.

Yes, that is the thing that baffles me as well. Are black folk fine with this? Do they believe it? Having lived on this earth for over 50 years, I have known many people, and my experience is there are stupid one's and smart one's and the tone of their skin means little as to where they fall in that regard.

It sure would piss me off if I was being put in that group.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Math, with its roots in Ancient Greece, is not racist. What is racist is to dumb down math so that those incapable of understanding it can get a passing grade. This is not about higher learning. This is about graduation statistics.

Mathematics provides an effective way of building mental discipline and encourages logical reasoning and mental rigor. In addition, mathematical knowledge plays a crucial role in understanding the contents of other school subjects such as science, social studies, and even music and art.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Jeez.

I guess Soborno Isaac Bari is the exception.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Mathematics provides an effective way of building mental discipline and encourages logical reasoning and mental rigor.

And therein lies the problem. Discipline means denying the impulses, that's a no-no. And logical reasoning/mental vigor? Please...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Matz killz the feelz... Quick killz the matz!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: oddscreenname

Don't forget there is also no need for everyone to be able to interpret stats or check plausibility of any conclusion based on numbers.

Trust the science...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This isn't new. The University that I went to for my degree in Mechanical Engineering disbanded it's engineering program a few years ago. The students in other programs were complaining that the Engineering Students were too serious and blew the curve in their classes. Another complaint was that the Engineering Students didn't get involved as much in promoting the University's "social footprint". They left out that the majority of Engineering Students had jobs and tended to be Conservative in their politics.

I actually had a school representative contact me and ask why I stopped making financial contributions to the school? I said that the school I went to no longer exists. He actually told me that I "owed" the school because I made a success of myself. I can't say here what I told him.

Math is about the most equal thing that there is. It doesn't care what your race, political belief, sexual orientation or any of the other BS that is being spouted off these days. It is black and white. It is either right or depending on what you are using it for, can be VERY WRONG.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

The thing I noticed watching YouTube channels and before that independently hosted media is that you could always tell the political leaning of the content creator by how many jokes were insults directed at the audience. The audience is dumb, mouth breathing, unwashed peasants. The audience is the general populace. In that vein, it makes sense these choices in education.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The Chinese laugh their heads off, when a small sliver of the U.S. populace whine and moan about the inherent problems with, you know, mathematics and intellectualism.

This is a contributing factor in why we as a nation are getting just routed in hiring for technical/engineering careers. I see this everyday where I work.

It would not surprise me one iota if foreign adversaries, as part of insidious counter-intel programs, aid and abet troglodytes like this woman, which would be strategically brilliant. How do you weaken your enemy with 0 risk? Fund and support inside agitators amongst your enemy (BLM admittedly being "trained marxists" and all). Szun tsu would be proud.

As a bonus, help incite fear and panic among your enemy for a **differnt** adversary: RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA. The GDP of Russia is nearly 2x less than the GDP of California. FACT. China's annual military budget is 4x larger than Russia's, FACT.

We are wwaaaaaaaay past the point of no return. We (really the Democrats, because people like this lady are squarely among their ranks) allowed the public discourse to be hijacked by a loud and stupid demographic sliver of the country. Further, large chunks of the population, out of some notion of guilt or sympathy, rather than rebut this idiocy and tell people like this woman to STFU and sit down, play along and encourage it.

"Math be raycis" just I mean.

And nobody outside "the right wingerzzzzz" (and people in the center like myself) seem to get how toxic this woman's narrative is, and the lasting damage it will inflict on our nation for years to come.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
This isn't new. The University that I went to for my degree in Mechanical Engineering disbanded it's engineering program a few years ago. The students in other programs were complaining that the Engineering Students were too serious and blew the curve in their classes. Another complaint was that the Engineering Students didn't get involved as much in promoting the University's "social footprint". They left out that the majority of Engineering Students had jobs and tended to be Conservative in their politics.

I actually had a school representative contact me and ask why I stopped making financial contributions to the school? I said that the school I went to no longer exists. He actually told me that I "owed" the school because I made a success of myself. I can't say here what I told him.

Math is about the most equal thing that there is. It doesn't care what your race, political belief, sexual orientation or any of the other BS that is being spouted off these days. It is black and white. It is either right or depending on what you are using it for, can be VERY WRONG.

Same experience here.

Any funding I might supply my alma mater would be given with the understanding the they are to use it based on educational achievement and meritocratic principles. Not to ratio up their student body.

See my post above. It's my feeling that this decay of our educational backbone, U.S. universities and institutions has in part been engineered to "dumb themselves down", and additionally the gate keepers of our academic foundations have failed miserably at promoting an objective, apolitical and fact-based environment for students.

The ripple effect for this is still shaping up and the real tsunami may not hit for many years, but by then the consequences of what we've seen done in academia here will be stunning to consider in the context of the fall of the U.S., and historians will likely make an analogy to a social/cultural/national suicide.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

It's not just about race, liberals attitude always has been that it X group isn't succeeding enough at Y then make Y easier.

Lower the bar rather than raise people's abilities.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

As an engineer, I'd be curious to see a bridge or building built using "woke math".

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I see them all over the world in countries that have little to no building standards. Probably not built with woke math, but the end result is typically the same. Deathtraps.
edit on 12/9/21 by Hypntick because: Clarification

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
But Asians are the best at math so what's with the White Power ? 🥳️😸

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join