It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigma of Mental Illness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   
How many times have you heard someone say "Either person A is doing this for this reason, or they are just 'mentally ill'."? Thats if the speaker is trying to be polite. Usually its "Oh, Jimmy must be off his meds." , comments about meds are degrading as heck. And everybody has their own idea about your diagnoses that they talk about amongst themselves. Or is thinking that just a symptom? Is it that the science behind and surrounding the treatment and study of mental illnesses is imperfect? Family members are often embarrassed about the individuals condition.
Its the 'crazy' comments. Bottom line is that using the types of phrases I mention is no different than any other derogatory remark about a person in any state of being. No different than a racial slur, a homophobic slur or a socioeconomic slur (trash). This mentality is not limited to a demographic or class..goes from the bottom up. The poorest uneducated bottomfeeder will talk smack about 'retards', or ghetto dwellers, or people with big noses..Thier thought process, "I may be poor and ugly, but at least Im not Black, or a mental case.", you guys think Im joking don't you?
The real jerks try to act considerate while they're around you which is offensive enough, but then you get one that thinks they can take it a little further and literally call you a slur to your face and still be superior, totally NOT trying to relate or identify, just trying to place themselves one above you and you have to suck it up.. And if your not 'acting' crazy then your faking the problem…or you must be all better…. Why is this important? Because I think we are all a little mentally ill. Society as a whole is one giant mood disorder..Luckily I love dogs and the sunshine, because if it was just people here I would leave.
edit on 8-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: content

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I remember being told to just buck up because you know I never thought of that. I'm a recently fully trained armed forces first aider, and I will be taking an interest in this thread.
Below is a copy and paste of my last post in my Mental Health First Aid blog on Livejournal
Signs of Depression
Physical Appearance.
A person who is depressed may not always look sad and anxious, or be slow in movement and thought. They may not look unkempt or show a lack of attention to personal hygiene. A depressed person may occasionally show some of the above signs but they may become agitated or seem easily irritated or prone to tearfulness. In cases of severe depression the person often describes a feeling of being emotionally blunted and beyond tears.
Attitudes and Thinking.
Depressed people commonly have a negative view of themselves, the world and the future. Thoughts often follow themes of helplessness and hopelessness. They may things such as:
'Im a failure.'
'Ive let everyone down.'
'Its all my fault.'
'Nothing good ever happens to
me.'
'Im worthless.'
'No one loves me.'
'I am so alone.'
'Life is not worth living.'
'There's nothing good out
there.'
'Things will always be bad.'

a reply to: didntasktobeborned

edit on 8-12-2021 by Granitebones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It is a shame most of mental health personnel lean ONLY on the science of the brain and ignoring the spirit.

An example I would like to Pont out: Here on ATS is a middle aged man who HAD a severe case of schizophrenia for most of his life, 100% disable, medical files that could fill the trunk of a large truck, in and out of many mental health facilities for over two decades...
Today he is HEALED!

The doctor's can not explain with science how he is healed after decades of a severe case of schizophrenia without medication.

He repented and gave his life to Jesus Christ....and he has been healed...100%

Most people who experience mental issues is a spiritual issue that doctors can not diagnose because science limits them....

Feeding mentally ill medication is the only answer for mental health octors and their patients....

edit on 8-12-2021 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Personally, the bulk of the problem is too many causes, not enough give a #. And with too many causes to beat over peoples' heads with today, there will BE no give a # until the pressuring eases. Regardless of one's diagnosis.

Also, my younger brother is a Down Syndrome kid. I & no one else in the family take offense to the use of retard, so please find another Cause Du Jour -- we don't need the extra superfluous voices with no ties to the game.
edit on 12/8/2021 by Nyiah because: typos < sigh >

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is concerning the 'Policing' of personalities. Control, programming etc. The loss of objectiveity. Legislation of morality. Real freedom. Which I feel fortunate to have. Lot of peoples only choice is to die. I was happy to see the ethnic muslims in China had a small victory. Thats a horrible affair. a reply to: Granitebones

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

We all have our coping mechanisms

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Also, my younger brother is a Down Syndrome kid. I & no one else in the family take offense to the use of retard, so please find another Cause Du Jour -- we don't need the extra superfluous voices with no ties to the game.

Im not trying to see whose perception of mental illness is more vivid. I admire your 'spirit' of family. WE need more of that. Thanks for being a fighter.

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You are confused....

This is called a MIRACLE.

originally posted by: didntasktobeborned

We all have our coping mechanisms

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
you are qualified for the highest elected office in the country

stop complaining

find a campaign manager

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   

You are confused....

This is called a MIRACLE.

This type of conviction is what makes the Christian faith so alluring. Truly amazing. Noble even. And its a faith with the concept of grace at its foundation..right? Seductive. The only way I see a mustard seed moving a mountain is if the seed is made of dark matter or something.

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: sraven
you are qualified for the highest elected office in the country

stop complaining

find a campaign manager

Tough love. Thanks

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   

do u know wat makes up dark matter .. musterd seeds

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Have you ever engaged in thought-exercises, or meditations : where whatever was said, done, or thought-about by others was inconsequential ?

What if there is just you, and only you ?
No 'other' to say that what you are is not perfect, according to them ?

Not everybody lives in the dank, grey, lifeless center of society.

The fringes can be way more colorful, vibrant, and interesting.

Of course : that is what a crazy person would say...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

What if there is just you, and only you ?

Thats how integrity is measured. What one does or ponders when they 'think' no one is looking or listening.
I personally like people, with all of the imperfections, the nuances of life are thrilling to me. And people are a part of that..Yes sometimes I become a little disenfranchised with them..us I mean. But Im not quitting.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Integrity is sometimes ok, if it frees us, and doesn't handcuff us.
A few different ways to see it.
What are we considering to be in, or out-of integrity ?

My comment wasn't intended to be about others, but about ways for us to explore our own mental health, regardless of what others may say or do.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   
People are prejudiced against other people because we're all competing instead of cooperating. There's always gonna be someone thinking they're on a higher horse.
Some actually are, while others are actually not. Keep a firm grip on the reigns!

🙏❤

posted on Dec, 10 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What does your unit patch look like? a reply to: Granitebones

edit on 10-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: So cold so cold cried the little girl

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

edit on 11-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: How embarrassing. Thats the stigma I'm talking about.

edit on 11-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: just because I can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there

edit on 11-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: and if there's angels over our shoulders

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Mental illness is a subjective determination/assessment.

edit on 12/11/2021 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Subjective like based on personal feelings? I would consider medical opinion more objective.Not saying its a be all end all, but subjective? I suppose, because its an opinion..a reply to: carewemust

edit on 11-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: questions

edit on 11-12-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join