It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Logical Fallacies Used by Opinion Writers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
According to Allsides.com Allsides

1. Fallacy of Division
Generalization of people, wherein every person within a group is ascribed the same attributions, regardless of their individuality.
Eg: "Any woman who is pro-life or supports Trump is heartless and doesn't deserve the title of womanhood."

2. Composition Fallacy
This fallacy happens when something that is true of the parts is assumed to be true of the whole. It also occurs when it is assumed that something that is true for one or some group members is true of the whole.
Eg: "All people who teach children critical race theory are God-hating, left-wing narcissists."
“All journalists have a liberal bias.”
“Conservatives hate the poor and oppressed.”

3. Fallacy of Accident
Fallacy of accident is assuming what is true as a general rule is also true under specific conditions. It can also go vice versa by assuming what is true under specific circumstances is true in general.
Eg: "After Derek Chauvin's conviction, we can be completely sure that there will never be a fair trial by jury again."

4. Irrelevant Conclusion Fallacy
Ignoratio Elenchi is a Greek word meaning "ignorance of contestation" or “missing the point.” This is when the conclusion fails to address the issue in question, or the conclusion is one that changes the point of what is at issue in the premise.
Eg: “You should support the new housing bill. We can't continue to see people living in the streets; we must have cheaper housing.”

5. Appeal to Fear (Ad Baculum)
When someone uses appeals to force, intimidation, threats or blackmail to get the other person to agree.
Eg: "If you don’t denounce the president, there will be more riots and looting."

6. Personal Attacks (Ad Hominem)
Attacking someone’s characteristics or character.
Eg: "What would a straight, white cis male know about the Women's March?"
“Obama was a community organizer. He doesn’t know anything about running a country.”
“She doesn’t even belong to a church. She’s not really religious.”
“How could anyone vote for a man with that face?!”

7. Appeal to Groupthink (Ad Populum)
This fallacy occurs when it’s assumed something must be true because many people think it.
Eg: “Most Americans believe that we should stop eating so much meat.”
“Marijuana legalization will be a boon to the economy because so many people support it.”

8. Appeal to Authority (Ad Verecundiam)
When it is assumed something is right or wrong due to how major leaders or popular figures view it.
Eg: "How can the institution of marriage be supported by feminism when feminist leaders like Kate Millett and Shulamith Firestone are against it?"

9. Appeal to Emotion (Ad Passiones)
A way to convince the reader by inciting the emotions instead of appealing to logic.
Eg: “Failing to support immigration means innocent people will suffer and starve.”

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this info.

But what did you want to discuss about it?

a reply to: Paschar0

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well let's see some real examples from well known writers and commentators !!!!!🤣

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think this about ATS writers and posters but I could be mistaken.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax

These aren't always fallacies. Change my mind.
edit on 3-12-2021 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0

originally posted by: Dalamax

Yes, they are always fallacies, but the statements they are composed of aren't always wrong, which is what I think you may be getting at.

For example, take the statement:

“Marijuana legalization will be a boon to the economy because so many people support it.”

It may very well turn out that marijuana legalization will be a boon to the economy. If it is, that will be because of a bunch of economic and social factors having to do with supply, demand, social costs, reduced incarceration, the number of people it employs, etc, etc. It won't be a boon because many people support it.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0

Which of the examples given above have you been brainwashed into believing is non-deceptive?

Answer that and I'll change everyone's mind except yours.

Unbrainwashing folks takes more time.

edit on 3-12-2021 by Ghostsdogood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I do some of this # sometimes.

Depends on how emotionally invested I am.

I do try not to MOST of the time.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: xuenchen

I do some of this # sometimes.

Depends on how emotionally invested I am.

I do try not to MOST of the time.

I use every one of them frequently on ATS.

Reversing democrat's own propaganda and divisive tactics.

Not difficult at all, extremely effective, and no emotion is required (though I do laugh a lot when doing this).

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Way to effectively deconstruct propaganda tactics across all media brands. The problem with being an opinion writer is that your articles blogs columns etc are heavily dependent on the most profitable data as opposed to the mathematically correct data which means you're not publishing for the sake of education but for the sake of paying your bills and that is by definition a conflict of interest. It's calling being a "sell out".

edit on 3-12-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

"Way to effectively deconstruct propaganda tactics across all media brands"

This list (or a similar one) has been in college textbooks for decades.

Is where I learned the methods I experiment with here.

Nearly all msm is very familiar with these tactics.

What democrats have been doing is intentional, and why I feel no guilt in returning it to them.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Yes, they are always fallacies, but the statements they are composed of aren't always wrong, which is what I think you may be getting at.

I think you might be right...because everyone born in 1947 is older and wiser than most.
edit on 3-12-2021 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I heard somewhere that "facts are the enemy of truth" which seems counter intuitive on its face but it bears thinking about. I also heard that "orders are for peasants, context is for kings". Which also feels relevant.

new topics

top topics

join