It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell Brand discusses how Facebook is marketing to churches now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I used to think Russell was an annoying hippy, trying too hard to be cool, but after seeing some of his more recent casts, I've come to like him. He's very insightful and aware. Cynical and suspicious, but funny and light-hearted at the same time. He also brings a bit of a metaphysical component to the podcast.

When I saw this podcast, I thought of my neighbor. She is involved in a church that operates like a big family. They all look out for each other, which is good. The thing that's scary though, is they share everything on Facebook, ranging from trivial to serious.
"Jim lost his job and he can't pay his electric bill. Let's help him out."
"Mary's daughter had to go to rehab. Pray for her!"
"Bob's mother-in-law is on anti-depressants."

They share everything. I've told her that IMHO, it's not wise to post such personal things on Facebook, but they don't seem concerned. Some of the less tech-savvy church members don't have the slightest clue that there's a downside.

Facebook figures since they've conquered the social and political areas, religion is a logical positioning move. They want to be in everything. Brand makes a good point when he says that the robber barons of last century would plunder physical resources, but Facebook aims to plunder consciousness itself.
Facebook only cares about positioning. Getting into and staying in the minds of its customers.

Russell is spot-on in this discussion. He sees Facebook and Zookerberg for what they really are.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Leave no stone unturned.

I saw this coming, when almost every church, large, and small, moved to services via Facebook live. During lockdown.

I knew when the churches returned to in person services, that many would have become too comfortable with Face-booking service, while having their morning coffee and breakfast, in their pajamas, rather then getting up washing, dressing, and driving to church.

I also knew that Facebook would find a way of capitalizing off of it.

Russell Brand is one of those influencers that I can listen to. I don't always see things the same way he does, but at least he doesn't talk down to you.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The irony of him sky screaming at the Boomers for using the Facebook when he's on the YouTube.

Don't worry, Facebook is dying the death it deserves since most younger people stay away from the toxic ****hole that it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Agreed, Russell has matured quite a lot.

He got red-pilled hard at some point

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I've only started regularly watching his videos recently, he's right up there next to Tucker Carlson and Jordan Peterson on my list of "independent fact checking sources". Granted Mr Peterson isn't a journalist or a blogger but he does provide valuable context for information that tends to be weaponized.

On topic, Facebook is a toy. Realistically all you need is FB Messenger Lite, and a couple group chats for business and family. There's no other practical purpose to have any social media on your devices at all unless you own a business, which can easily migrate to Snapchat or Instagram where you can customize your settings to minimize the information you send and receive. Drop a phone number on your page and close the app. Problem solved.

edit on 2-12-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

2.85 billion people use it every single month and it's dying?

That is over one third of the world's population...

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Add to say

The largest demographic group of Facebook users is between the ages of 25 and 35 years. 18.8% are male, and 12.8% of the population are female.

www.statista.com...

a reply to: chris_stibrany

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
2.85 billion people use it every single month and it's dying?

That is over one third of the world's population...

Younger generations are using TikTok and Snapchat. Facebook is seen as a platform for geezers, and as those geezers die out the numbers will decline. Why do you think Facebook is trying to rebrand? Their own internal data showed that the younger demographic thinks it's an antiquated platform filled with people screaming their politics at each other.

Teenage users of the Facebook app in the US had declined by 13 percent since 2019 and were projected to drop 45 percent over the next two years, driving an overall decline in daily users in the company’s most lucrative ad market. Young adults between the ages of 20 and 30 were expected to decline by 4 percent during the same timeframe. Die, Facebook, Die

edit on 2-12-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don’t think Russell changed at all. As a long time fan and watcher of his the views he holds have been fairly consistent. The left changed and left people like him behind.

The left represents nobody but enormously wealthy neoliberal corporate elites who view the working and middle class with contempt and an obstacle to their nightmarish “utopian” vision for the world.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Yup he was always a left leaning liberal, I think he like Bill Maher hasn't changed much the left just raced to crazy town to such a degree they just seem more conservative in nature by contrast.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

This is true

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Everyone knows you are sent material and vids that are suppose to piss you off. More clicks, more advertising dollars.

But people don't seem to have the capacity to see it, don't care, or are weak minded.

YOU are the reason Facebook can manipulate people. But only people who wish to be manipulated.

Turn it off once in a while. Last I knew, no one requires you to have Facebook. They don't charge you to use it. And you can leave Facebook at any time. So, who really is the problem here?

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

He's an anarchist.
The 'left' dropped anarchists off their platforms because one of the fundamentals of anarchism is freedom of speech and expression. History repeating itself it seems, same thing happened back in the 1930's. The anarchists, moderates rights, and the materialists left in the dust while the angry jealous mobs fight each other.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Everyone knows you are sent material and vids that are suppose to piss you off. More clicks, more advertising dollars.

That's not what the OP is about. Not at all.

YOU are the reason Facebook can manipulate people. But only people who wish to be manipulated.

If I want to discuss Facebook, that doesn't mean Facebook is manipulating me.

Turn it off once in a while. Last I knew, no one requires you to have Facebook. They don't charge you to use it. And you can leave Facebook at any time. So, who really is the problem here?

Again, what does this have to do with the OP? By your logic, if I engage in a discussion about BLM, and tell you I believe they are an evil, treacherous, Marxist organization, then I'm the one with the problem, and BLM is somehow manipulating me?
I've seen your comments in other threads. When someone points out an evil, you will defend the evil and mock the person condemning it.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The agenda keep showing its ugly head, the technocrap are all in it, and have been since the beginning like leeches waiting for their chance to reap the profits of covid.

We get step on and mandated, they get to make the money on us.
edit on 2-12-2021 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   
just started watching RB......im a few videos deep and it is very impressive and refreshing.....

the way he delivers the facts in a non divisive intelligent way.

honestly just searching for and presenting very concerning truths....

best news source.

he lays it out so well how the msm outlets are completely behold to pfizer and gates among many others.....

how could anyone trust the constant lying.....

Thank God for Jesus.......I wont follow this world that is saturated with wickedness and deception from the adversary..
edit on 2-12-2021 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That is a good point RE the politics.

I had FB for maybe 2 years but deleted it for all the reasons everyone complains about it. Now no social media unless you count forums.
Social media in general whether it is FB or snapchat or whatever the fad du jour is, is so toxic it's making kids shallow and image obsessed, not to mention depressed and obsessed with material goods.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
Social media in general whether it is FB or snapchat or whatever the fad du jour is, is so toxic it's making kids shallow and image obsessed, not to mention depressed and obsessed with material goods.

It isn't just kids it's turning into a mess, it's most people who interact with it and that is by design as per the leaked data.

posted on Dec, 3 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Another vote for "didn't like" (Katy Perry's ex) to "like". Not often I switch opinions but Brand is much more than his old persona led on to be. He is actually an acute observer and commentator with a whimsical touch. Even his working class accent that once bothered me has become an endearing trait. He also lines up lots of great guests and covers breaking news very well. Dudes a winner.

new topics

top topics

join