It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any rumours on your country boycotting the winter game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have always loved the winter games, especially curling, and ski jump.

Though just curious if your country has any talk of pulling out due to the current political stance of China, and the virus and variants.

The fiasco in the South China Sea etc, etc etc!

Is this a risk that countries are willing to take for the health of athletes and support staff?

Not a conspiracy, just trying to gauge the feel.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Funny how genocide isn't a dealbreaker when it comes to dealing with regimes. At best, I think Biden might put out a vague statement about our concerns, but no boycott.

The left hollywooders here will come up with some kind of a slogan like 'symbolic boycott' or something like that made of cheesecloth all the while watching and participating.

On the same token that businesses need to ask themselves when wanting to do business with the CCP, athletes are just the same. There are other events not hosted by the CCP.

Principles first, every time, is what will change this.
edit on 2-12-2021 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Quiet here in Japan. I think they will just shove it down on us.

I wonder what American companies are going to advertise.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

There will be plenty of Australian baby formula companies willing to sponsor the games along with all the sleazy daigos in Carnegie and other suburbs that create s shortage in Australia sending formula and goanna cream and butter and other quality products that these scum daigos leave a shortage of supply here in Australia.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith

There will be plenty of Australian baby formula companies willing to sponsor the games along with all the sleazy daigos in Carnegie and other suburbs that create s shortage in Australia sending formula and goanna cream and butter and other quality products that these scum daigos leave a shortage of supply here in Australia.

Just no loyalty no more in our hearts for our country.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:08 AM
link   
There wont be any boycotting the winter games that will be happening in China.
Its empty words from some politicians.
edit on 2-12-2021 by HawkEyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Winter games eh, i'm quite partial to a snowball fight should the weather allow.

Love watching the curling all the same.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

Sadly conglomerates in the west created this problem, it was greed all along, corporations wanted to make more profit, and saw China as cheap labour, now there is no going back.

A strong government needs to place higher tariffs on imported goods to force locally based companies to bring manufacturing back to the homeland.

Though too many people want cheap # from China.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   

There was word in the news tonight, that Australia may boycott due to the supposed disappearance of Chinese athlete Peng Shuai.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The only loyalty is to the dollar.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:17 AM
link   

But that is not how tariffs work.

China’s government and companies in China do not pay tariffs directly.

Tariffs are a tax on imports which are paid by American registered companies to U.S customs for the goods they import into the nation.

Then the costs of tariffs are simply passed along to the customers and manufacturers in the United States by way of raising prices.

Certainly agree our own corporations and conglomerates helped create the problem by way of moving the operations to a nation where the people are willing to work for peanuts and/or under extreme working conditions.

Because they care about profit and monies far more than they care about people.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: [post
I did hear similar that tennis players may boycott the Chinese open. It’s a start

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

We don’t get any snow in the lowlands in Melbourne, though love bulla In winter.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
I get that, though let’s say for example bonds undies, claim they are Australian though manufacturer overseas, if a company like bonds wants to continue manufacturing overseas, hit them with high tariffs to force them to bring manufacturing home, and get tax cuts.

If the price is too high then consumers will vote with thei wallet, things would change quick once they lose money.
edit on 2-12-2021 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:07 AM
link   

China is still in the process of industrialisation.

Manufacturing is never coming back home robsmith whilst its cost-effective to produce products abroad.

As long as these poor sods are willing to work for a pittance the multinationals and corporations will exploit them because that's just how they roll.

As to the price of underwear, i know idiots willing to shell out around £50-£100 for the likes of a pair of Versace or Tani. LoL

Its madness but at the end of the day corporations don't care one way or the other as long as they are in the readies.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:09 AM
link   
WAsn't there a boycott of Russia relating to their Afghanistan invasion? As far as I remember, the boycott was incomplete.

edit on 2-12-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The USA should boycott a genocidal regime but im sure our politicians in bed with the communists wont let that happen. You would think genocide would be a hell of a deal breaker but I guess not for those who want fame and glory. Afterall our own government is committing genocide with the vax so I shouldnt be surprised. I think there are a couple individuals who said they will not be attending so good on them.

top topics

join