It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to stop organized retail theft vol 1

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
How to stop organized retail theft vol 1.

I was reading about these mass-organized retail theft rings and wondering what a technology fix might look like. The single largest target for these theft rings is high-end electronics like flat screens. laptops, tablets, and smartphones, headphones, and speakers.

Not all but many of these devices have USB ports on them. I thought about the USB hardware keys I have used in the past for secure login in various facilities I worked at over the years.

More currently of course is the Apple Find My: support.apple.com... service for finding lost apple devices.

I thought there can be a rather generic Android-based device key for smartphones, TVs, and tablets. You could have a USB key that is scanned like you are activating a phone or an airtime card and it will load the key data onto a production server for the device telling the server that the device was sold and allowing activation of the device based on the MAC address of the device which is also included in the unlock data.

This rather simple scheme would allow big box stores the ability to without much training or effort on their part include tag data from the item being stolen directly to the police. If an item goes out the door without being unlocked it triggers an alarm as well as making the item unusable until it is activated with an updated USB key once the item is recovered.

If anyone has some thoughts or opinions to add I would like to read them. I plan on doing several of these for various technology solutions to these ORC attacks.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   
For the love of God no. I don't need more obstacles just to watch a TV or use a device. The data collection abuse, bugs and added cost would far outweigh any benefit IMO.

My HP printer has a pending update that's been bugging me for 2 years. Know what happens when you do it? Your aftermarket ink triggers it to become a doorstop until you buy HP brand ink.

edit on 29-11-2021 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Wouldn't it be easier to just put bars on all the doors that slam shut when the security alarm is pulled?

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It would be better to lock it down once it is determined stolen and kill it that way it doesn't impede paying customers. Only the thief.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The solution isn't complex. Stop decriminalizing theft! Throw these people in jail. if we're going to abandon laws to keep people and property safe, our society is not going to last long.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Under martial law looters can be shot. The fact that this doesn't happen yet gives the lie to those who say America is under Martial Law.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Automatic turrets that shoot through stolen goods as they leave the property.

(Not designed to shoot people, and smart enough to avoid ricochet or shrapnel causing any personal harm or injury.)

Just clean shots, through and through the stolen property.

Since these won't be designed to shoot living beings, they don't violate any Geneva conventions, and as long as the AI controlling the turret is smart enough, could avoid 100% of cases where the fired ammunition collides with a living being.

Certainly, a few years away from feasibility, but... Not impossible forever.

Coming to a future near you.
edit on 29-11-2021 by Archivalist because: woo

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think auto-locking the doors or dropping down bars would add to the terror and confusion these situations cause I think.

I think a USB smart key system would be cost-effective and simple to implement market-wide.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm reminded of the Baretta song.

"Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time". Conversely, we don't seem to have time associated with these crimes, which is why they continue to happen. Want to end this? Put the bad man in jail. each time. every time. Or stop complaining about the crime. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

The paying customer in this security scheme would simply turn on the device and insert the USB key when prompted to activate the device. The devices would use a generic USB key like one of these devices shown in the below image and without the 2-factor authentication function found in in the more common USB authentication devices.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but it's time to take the gloves off and teach these spoiled brats some real world lessons about theft and robberies.

Armed guards. Fire if confronted or observing theft.

This BS ends right after this happens.

There was a time when this would be the expected result.

Time to journey back in time.

Fred..

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I agree with this premise of course but I am loath to resolve all issues with more government, jail, and other crime issues. I want technology answers to take the problem off the board with a technology fix and not rely on democrat-controlled AGs elected to office by Soros money.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I think more stores will be going exclusively online. Others will make you get an appointment to shop. The rest will continue to see loss.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

I agree with this premise of course but I am loath to resolve all issues with more government, jail, and other crime issues. I want technology answers to take the problem off the board with a technology fix and not rely on democrat-controlled AGs elected to office by Soros money.

I don't think you understand the issue. Theft is a byproduct of the issue. The issue is that we have an entire culture who feels they have the right to take things that belong to others. That mindset needs to change. When we didn't have that mindset, we had prison for thieves.

This is way bigger than stealing Iphones.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist
I am preferring the technology be developed without adding losses to retailers but recovering those losses. If there is a technology fix to the problem of ORCS we should use it and sell it to the big box retailers as a bottom-line loss prevention method.

I spent years in retail security and loss prevention back in the day but went into technology prototyping for automated electronic trading platforms in the early 2000s. Now I just piddle on the farm growing medicine. I still can put together a prototype of the system I am describing here.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I can't address the bigger issue here now can I? I can not change the society that permits theft but as a technologist, I can try and figure out methods to mitigate the loss and sell a method of recourse to the client in this case brick and mortar electronics retailers.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I think auto-locking the doors or dropping down bars would add to the terror and confusion these situations cause I think.

I think a USB smart key system would be cost-effective and simple to implement market-wide.

Any new tech or even massive security changes will make already skyrocketing prices soar even more.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How about just put in some armed security and shoot looters? It would end pretty fast.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Any new tech or even massive security changes will make already skyrocketing prices soar even more.

How about a bouncer at the door checking and scanning photo ID's? That would bed fairly low cost

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You're assuming this is an issue that the people who created wish to see solved.

Here's a conspiracy theory:

Go light on property crime in certain areas. Encourage it, even.

In the face of rampant retail theft and property damage, businesses close down and move out of the area. Any law-abiding persons residing in the area who are able to move will do so.

Property values plummet.

The people who created the problem buy up the property cheap. Then they throw out the undesirables and restore law and order. They rebuild the area and, Presto, huge profits.

It may take a few years, but pay close attention to real estate values while this is happening. See who buys the land.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join