It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat food shortages

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

hello Ellie,
this recipe works for my cats.

recipe to feed a large number of cats, with low costs:

the lower cost: EGGS

1) make scrambed eggs (mainly without adding salt)
cook the eggs and cut it slow sizes.

2) give it to the cats (over the ussual food or directly)
specially for Breakfast

I suggest you try with a minimum of one scrambled eggs per cat
For 8 cats like 10-12 scrambled eggs per morning, because some cats like it more.

you will realize that the number of bults you will have to you buy per month is drastically reduced, with savings.
and it is very useful if there is no cat food available in your area.

you have to buy the economical version of 30 eggs per pack,
and give to them 10 eggs per morning.

and some eggs at night if the cats want a surplus.

that is a lot of 15kg bults per months saved!
and your cats like it a lot!

in case you dont find eggs:

other food could be atun cans with OIL , that you can mix with the cats food
peferrably do not use the atun with water .
also there are sardine (in tomato) that you can mix with the cat food

or add cheese to the eggs when cooking

but the most economic and nutritive and healthy for feeding cats are the EGGS.

with a diet based on eggs you dont neet to buy supplements.

eggs are everywere to find, as eggs are used for most human food production.

remember: winter is coming an the cats eat more food.

USE cooked scrammbled EGGS TO SAVE COST WHEN FEEDING CATS

I hope it works for you

I put the eggs on the top of cat food, and my cats like more the eggs than the cat food.

the more eggs, the less cat food you need to buy.

edit on 11111111 by lux666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I haven’t looked for a couple of weeks, but back then, all the wet cat food at Walmart was wiped out. Except for a handful of those peel back individual cups kind. The dry food seemed normal. Tractor supply was almost empty of cans too. Only two trays left high up on the top shelf.

I usually keep enough on hand so that I don’t have to shop very often. I started buying more ahead the last time there was a cat food shortage. When was that, six months ago? It didn’t last very long. It seems like whenever somebody mentions a possible shortage on Farcebook, then everybody runs to the stores!

Not familiar with the silica cat litter. What brand is that? I have tried a lot of different brands over the years. Have been using Paws & Claws for a few years now. That has always sold out fast. I always keep one box ahead because it’s always been iffy. Mostly because they don’t stock enough.

I get the big bags of dry food & put it into airtight containers so that it will stay fresh longer. I use canned too. I make sure that they always have dry available & then I give them some canned once a day. I have always given our cats human food too if they wanted it. They have had very different personalities! One always wanted cooked potato skins whenever I was making potato salad! One was absolutely nuts for butterscotch pudding! Any other kind, not so much! I always wondered why?! Most of them wanted white chicken. Some didn’t care for dark.

We had one that would only eat the dry food! Most of them turned up their noses at the cheapest brands & the most expensive brands. Go figure!

WOQ

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: lux666

Eggs are fine for cats to eat, in moderation, but they shouldn't be their primary food. It's also fine to feed them tuna, sardines, and cheese. There are a lot of nutritional deficiencies, mainly taurine, with just feeding those items.

PetMD: Can cats eat eggs.
edit on 27 11 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
I always worry about those little scraps of meat when they come from China.
What happened to the rest of people if they are killed for organs.:
Uighurs...

Well, they do have a history of selling poisoned dog food
Disgusting!!!

Lead in babyfood and lead paint on kids toys and a long list, not sure they love us

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Yes, I've been noticing this for about 5 months. I also am feeding 12 (!) plus 3 feral we are currently trying to trap for the spay/nueter release program.
I've been looking at feeding them raw because I can still get 10 lbs of chicken quarters for 5$ @ Aldi. Just gotta get the grinder and Supps. ($$ugh!) I did find a couple online sources that sell premixed packages of the supplements they would need. If you grind raw you can leave in the organs and they get a lot of what they need that way. Ours too are indoor/outdoor.. Have had many heartbreaks over lost ones due to predators, people etc. We just can't keep them all inside, especially since most of them were ferals to begin with. They seem to *must* be able to go outside from time to time or they get neurotic. I have been able to find some at the local feed stores and such, and sometimes they have sales. (Chewy and Amazon too) I've also gone the egg route on occasion. They usually dive in, especially if you sprinkle it with cheese

>On fone but I will try to post the info for Supps I found later <
Eta-> North Texas here
edit on 27-11-2021 by Starcrossd because: Added info

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Eggs are fine for cats to eat, in moderation, but they shouldn't be their primary food.

PetMD: Can cats eat eggs.

The good thing about cats (I care for 2 wild ones spayed) is if they don't get fed they eat bugs and mice and many things. They will not be roaming eating people like the dogs will if we have a CME or some major loss of ability to feed them.

Right now I have cut them back in the canned and give them dry and the canned as a treat here and there.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Absolutely! And thank you, I hope your doing well also.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks
Very typical for the former Soviet Union. I grew up during the time of the cold war and often we'd see images of long lines of Russians waiting in front of empty shelves for maybe some bread and beans. There was nothing.

Communism absolutely sucks, and with communism trying to take over here, these empty shelves proof that & will continue until we kick these a**holes out ourselves.
First we unite then we take them on

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

it is a mix: in the morning they have eggs and cat food.
in the night they eat usually cat food.

it reduces the cat food packages like 50%.
also they have tuna, sardine, tomato...and other one ate my meat today, they like different food,
but here all of them like to have eggs for breakfast.
cat chooses what to eat and the amount of it.

the savings by giving breakfast with eggs included, are important and they like it.

I have tried for years and it works well.

for a temporary scarcity you can use it to feed the cats, or, if you like it, you can buy the food packagins directly from the factory too.

one of the more nutritives foods on nature are the eggs.

edit on 11111111 by lux666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

I buy Fromm, which is made in the U.S. out of domestic ingredients. What you are seeing missing from the shelves are foods from China or ones that require ingredients from China.

We tried Fromm with ours and it was very hit or miss what they would eat. We've not had any rejection from Taste of the Wild on ours, but they get finicky over Tiki Cat too, and it's a domestic supplier also and supposed to be very good.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I always worry about those little scraps of meat when they come from China.
What happened to the rest of people if they are killed for organs.:
Uighurs...

Well, they do have a history of selling poisoned dog food
Disgusting!!!

Lead in babyfood and lead paint on kids toys and a long list, not sure they love us

I'm not sure they even love themselves, kinda generalising but, it's that mixed with pure unadulterated greed, and to be generous, I'll thrown in maybe 10% is because or poor QC/standards..even that boils down to $$ saved/greed. Think of this..we get the good stuff! they sell the really poor quality goods domestic.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Alright, sounds good to me. Apologies. I didn't realize yours were also getting commercial cat food and missed it if it was in your post. They load the cat food up with taurine and other supplements.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've never fed mine Taste of The Wild, but know many people who are feeding it to their pets with good results. As for Fromm, our cats will only eat one flavor of the wet food, and two flavors of the dry food. My dogs will eat just about anything.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I just used the BalanceIt website that I mentioned in an earlier post to generate an egg/sardine recipe for cats. You have to use their supplement or there is going to be some deficiencies. One container of their supplement lasts a year for the dog it is used it for.

(1) Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled (approx. 89% lean) 68 g or 2 3/8 oz
(2) Fish, sardine, Pacific, canned in tomato sauce, drained solids with bone (approx. 90% lean) 54 g or 1 7/8 oz
(3) Oil, corn, industrial and retail, all purpose salad or cooking 4 g or 3/4 of a tsp
(4) Balance IT® Carnivore Blend® (4.09 g/tsp) 3.1 g or 3/4 of a teaspoon

Nutrition Facts
Calories: 229 Calories
Protein: 33% protein calories (77 Calories)*
Fat: 64% fat calories (147 Calories)*
Carbohydrate: 2% carbohydrate calories (5 Calories)*
Moisture: 70.3%
Deficiencies: None, based on AAFCO, with supplement(s) added, 16 deficiencies without supplement(s) added
[Report ID: 3958672]

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Mine eat all of spiders in our house that they can get to. They will also stalk any flies that get inside and eat them, too.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ah, I looked it up ... we use Primal for the freeze dried raw, but there are several excellent brands on the market. I know Primal is domestic though. The biggest problem we have with it is that husband generally rotates the flavors and the cats will initially be hesitant when one flavor changes to another, so they'll try to reject the first night of the new stuff. Once they decide to eat it though, it's fine from then on to the point where you could rotate it straight back to what they were eating, and they'll be suspicious of it.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Great

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

the cats will initially be hesitant when one flavor changes to another, so they'll try to reject the first night of the new stuff. Once they decide to eat it though, it's fine from then on to the point where you could rotate it straight back to what they were eating, and they'll be suspicious of it.

Cats are weird like that.

Primal makes good pet food as well. I have some of the freeze dried raw in the cabinet for whenever I want to give my dogs something different for them to have a little variety.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   

It's expensive enough that it's only about a fraction of their portion every day.

They usually get a portion that's half kibble and the other half is half Sheba and half Primal. And we give two feedings - morning and night. They will get an afternoon handful of kibble too.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

One of my dogs gets fat easily and is on a reduced calorie diet. All of my animals get 4 meals a day, as my vet said that would help keep the one on a diet from being hungry all day. They all get fed on the same schedule so that none of them feels left out because one is getting 4 meals.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join