It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who think a China invasion / attack on Taiwan is inevitable, what year does it happen?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

No, I think the question is still the same as the one I asked that other poster.

Will fighting china make it easier for the usa to get semiconductors?

If not then there is no logic in fighting them over the semiconductors.

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

If you haven't already seen it, I suggest watching Wolf Warrior 2 - highest grossing film in China's history. To understand China better.

en.wikipedia.org...

" it is the second highest-grossing film of all-time in a single market behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.7 million in North America), and has exceeded North America's totals from Avengers: Endgame (858.4 million), Avatar ($760 million), Black Panther ($700 million), and Titanic ($659 million).[9][10][11] The film was the seventh highest-grossing film of 2017 at US$874 million, making it the 54th highest grossing film worldwide.[5][12][6] It is the first non-English film ever to be included in the list of 100 all-time highest-grossing films worldwide,[13][12] making it the highest-grossing non-English film of all time, a position it retained until 2021"

I just watched it. I prefer Wolf Warrior 1 as it's more realistic. Wolf Warrior 2 is "too unrealistic." But the popularity of it is a reflection of the current mindset in China and attitudes toward the "West."

You can watch it for free if you have a US Library Card -- from Hoopla Digital. Otherwise you might have to pay for it.

www.hoopladigital.com...

www.justwatch.com...

EDIT: Apparently you can watch it on VUDU for FREE with ads! Wolf Warrior 1 is also free to watch.
edit on 6-12-2021 by dontneedaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

No, I think the question is still the same as the one I asked that other poster.

Would China controlling semiconductors put the "West" at a strategic disadvantage? Short-term? Long-term?

Could China tamper with the semiconductors in such a way as to affect other countries.....like worries over Huawei (or Lenovo). The answer to that is YES.

I have not bought a Lenovo product because of this. (Ok, I did buy and return one...but I had no plans to keep it)
I used to love IBM notebooks.

It's not just semiconductors, it's Japan and South Korea and the whole region as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

techcrunch.com...
Taiwan's Bargaining Chips

According to TrendForce, a Taipei-based research firm, Taiwan’s semiconductor contract manufacturers accounted for 63% of total global foundry market share in 2020. A detailed breakdown shows that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the world’s largest contract chipmaker, alone contributed 54% of the global foundry market share. More recent data shows that even with its Fab 14 (P7) experiencing manufacturing disruptions, TSMC still made up almost 53% of global foundry market share for the second quarter of 2021.

In addition to producing the most chips, Taiwan’s foundries (including TSMC) produce the world’s most advanced chips, which can be found in all the highest-tech machinery — everything from cellphones to fighter jets. In fact, TSMC is responsible for an astonishing 92% of the world’s advanced chips production, making Taiwan’s semiconductor industry arguably the world’s most important.

And this means both the U.S. and China are dependent on it. According to a Nikkei report, TSMC produces computer chips used in F-35 fighter jets, high-performance chips for U.S. military suppliers such as Xilinx, and DoD-approved “military grade” chips. While the exact scale at which the U.S. military is dependent on Taiwanese chips is not known, it is significant enough that the U.S. government has pressured TSMC to shift its production of military-use chips to U.S. soil.

American industry, too, depends on Taiwanese semiconductors. It is believed that TSMC is the sole provider for Apple’s 5-nanometer processors, used in various Apple products including the iPhone 12, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. TSMC also manufactures the A15 Bionic chips found inside Apple’s newest gadgets: the iPhone 13 and iPad mini. Of course, it’s not only Apple; TSMC’s customers also include major American companies, such as Qualcomm, Nvidia, AMD and Intel.

Experts fear that China is eyeing control of TSMC with a Taiwan takeover
www.phonearena.com...

...and this will not change in any appreciable manner this decade.

2020 Semiconductor Industry Association - State of the Industry

www.semiconductors.org...

some gems in there. Maybe I cut & paste them out.

ahh....we've eaten the APPLE again.

The Fall of MAN repeated. Hahahaha. [You're already "dead" if you don't have a sense of humor]

Maybe I make a post about that. we'll see.

posted on Dec, 10 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
China currently don't have enough assets to attack Taiwan. They would need at least 6 carriers, 400 J-20, 10 Type 055 warships to guarantee a knock out blow. They don't want a long protracted war. They want a short war like last year's Artsakh invasion.

posted on Dec, 10 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If China gonna do it they will do it with Biden or Kamala as President. There will be no better opportunity for them to do whatever they want with no repercussions. Clock is ticking though....

posted on Dec, 11 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dontneedaname

My biggest question about that is, is this another thing like rare earth mineral mining that we could do here in the US and just don't for whatever stupid reasons?

If when push came to shove, could we just start producing semiconductors here?

posted on Dec, 12 2021 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: dontneedaname

My biggest question about that is, is this another thing like rare earth mineral mining that we could do here in the US and just don't for whatever stupid reasons?

If when push came to shove, could we just start producing semiconductors here?

Ask Intel. Look how great their stock has been. /s

Pulling rocks out of the earth is a bit different to making highly complex chips, you think?
edit on 12-12-2021 by dontneedaname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join