It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving 2021

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Who is cooking the bird?

Whats everybody having for Thanksgiving this year, and where are you celebrating it?

Ive opted for a change of pace this year. I was at a high end meat market and scored a nice 5 lb free range vegetarian fed duck this year. I plan on stuffing it with sliced lemons from my tree, and garlic cloves. The last 40 minutes, I will be basting the breast with a top quality Italian Basalmic/ Tupelo Honey sauce.

Ill be supping with the " The old scientist", my dad. He will prepare the vegetable, salad, and the desert. He does a pretty damn good job on it too, considering his 95th birthday comes up next month.

I have been invited to my ex's home for a second celebration, on Sunday. Ill probably take a bottle of wine for that one. Pouilly-Fuissé . ( Fuzzy Pussy)
We used to drink that from time to time.
edit on 24-11-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Having this: savorjapan.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I work for a top Japanese company in California. Over 40 years. My talent, and hobby is cooking. I often cook Japanese style Hot pots. Another favorite is a pork dish. Ton Katsu

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: musicismagic

I work for a top Japanese company in California. Over 40 years. My talent, and hobby is cooking. I often cook Japanese style Hot pots. Another favorite is a pork dish. Ton Katsu

Ton Katsu is truly my favorite Japanese dish at the restaurants here. The countryside restaurants here serve the best and large portions also. Usually stop at one around 1:30 pm while out cycling the countryside. I think maybe I'm one of few foreigners that go there and shoot the breeze in broken spoken Japanese and get an extra dose of them green onions they put on the Ton Katsu . とんかつ すきです 

edit on 1100000038472021-11-24T19:47:38-06:00473811pm7 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

We are having a big event with a lot more people than usual, so we are going a bit overboard this year.

Turkey, ham, vegan tofu turkey, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing, Brussels sprouts au gratin, sautéed carrots with scallions and thyme, corn on the cob, roasted root vegetables, baked macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, rolls, cornbread, apple pie, blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, and whipped cream. 

We made the pies, rolls and cornbread yesterday and prepped nearly everything else today. Everything was made from scratch, except for the elbow macaroni for the mac and cheese. 

edit on 24 11 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Ton Katsu is truly my favorite Japanese dish at the restaurants here.

Tonkatsu is my favorite Japanese food as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

Ton Katsu is truly my favorite Japanese dish at the restaurants here.

Tonkatsu is my favorite Japanese food as well.

I think the old timers here know what oil to cook it in. Taste different then the franchise restaurants, that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusanIm very impressed! Thats a large order to fill. Good job! Stay focused

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:09 PM
link   

usually I ate turkey, some soup and pumpkin at home.

but this year I decided make it different: Ice cream as the main course.
with mandarine drink and chicken wrapped in tortilla, sauce,
in a coffe shop with mountain view.

something different,

and giving thanks for all the blessings.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lux666

usually I ate turkey, some soup and pumpkin at home.

but this year I decided make it different: Ice cream as the main course.
with mandarine drink and chicken wrapped in tortilla, sauce,
in a coffe shop with mountain view.

something different,

and giving thanks for all the blessings.

Something different is often good. Good on you! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   

When we are in Japan, my wife's big uncle takes us to an awesome place in the mountains for Tonkatsu. My wife says it is called Shirokujaku Shokudo in Aizu-wakamatsu Shi, Fukushima.

I haven't found a place in the U.S. that has good Tonkatsu. My wife makes it for me instead and she does a pretty good job.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Thank you. I've always been able to make simple dishes, but I really broadened my skills last year when many of our local restaurants were closed. I started trying more challenging recipes just for the adventure. I think that I may have missed my calling, because I discovered that I really enjoy cooking and, surprisingly, find it stress mitigating.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

When we are in Japan, my wife's big uncle takes us to an awesome place in the mountains for Tonkatsu. My wife says it is called Shirokujaku Shokudo in Aizu-wakamatsu Shi, Fukushima.

I haven't found a place in the U.S. that has good Tonkatsu. My wife makes it for me instead and she does a pretty good job.

Yoko will make it a few times a year and it is the Yamaguchi pre ww2 kind her mother would make. Taste good with the red chili pepper on it.
Maybe next year when I hop on my cross bike and make it to Fukushia I 'll have you remind me of the place. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

That sauce sounds great for the bird!!

We are having 20 people over and doing a few turkeys.

I am in charge of one bird, so I am going with a white truffle butter mix under the skin, a diluted similar mix for injection and a herb rub stuck to truffle oil on the outside.
The whole experiment will slow smoke for 8 hrs over coal and peach wood chips hung in a water-modded pit barrel smoker.

I've been waiting all year for turkey day
Mmmmm graaaavvvvyyyy

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7That sounds awesome. Any fruitwood is good, but peach takes the cake! Have lots of fun!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Ham , turkey , loaded/regular mashed potato’s , Mac and cheese , stuffing , green bean casserole , orange cranberry relish , candy apple sliced , apple and pumpkin pie w/ whipped cream!

All supplied by Honey Baked Ham company lol. I slaved over the stove on Thanksgiving for 20+ years so anymore we either go out or buy the complete setup.

I told my kids I will come out of retirement and start cooking again when I get my first grandchild!

*Edit* I did make homemade bread though!

edit on 24-11-2021 by Enduro because: For da bread

edit on 24-11-2021 by Enduro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
Ham , turkey , loaded/regular mashed potato’s , Mac and cheese , stuffing , green bean casserole , orange cranberry relish , candy apple sliced , apple and pumpkin pie w/ whipped cream!

All supplied by Honey Baked Ham company lol. I slaved over the stove on Thanksgiving for 20+ years so anymore we either go out or buy the complete setup.

I told my kids I will come out of retirement and start cooking again when I get my first grandchild!

*Edit* I did make homemade bread though!

I understand! It all sounds good!

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
We're going to my youngest daughters for Thanksgiving. The oldest daughter and her family is not going, she is scared of getting covid. The granddaughter and her kids got a different bug, I do not know if they are going. The wife and I are well over our covid, I suppose us getting a mild case got some people a little paranoid. My youngest daughter has been all over the place with their kids both in hockey.

Usually we have about sixteen people for Christmas dinner, this year it will be lucky if there are eight or nine. Most everything I am bringing has antiviral properties of course, Cherry pie from cherries out of my brothers cherry tree and wild blueberry pie and a citrus combo.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Spot on. Awesome...You sound like you know your chips.All of the sweet sounding woods are sour compared to peach imo.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and everybody on ATS.

If some leftist says the C word, inquire into their hep test status before they use your bathroom for best convo shutdown.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Fresh local farm raised bird is brining now. On top of that we have pickle and onion wraps, green bean casserole, dressing and of course, taters!

Pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert.

Lots of wood to split and stack and going to spread some freedom seeds as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your pops VBT!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join