It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Common Compounds Help Vs COVID - Benadryl and Lactoferrin, Finds a Univ. of Florida Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wow ... I just saw this new development, and it doesn't look like anyone has started a thread here on ATS about it, and I think it deserves one!

A recent study from scientists at the University of Florida testing live cells vs COVID-19 in vitro has found that 2 common and cheap compounds - lactoferrin, and diphenhydramine (aka: benadryl, among other trade names) - show effectiveness at inhibiting COVID-19 replication in live cells in vitro (in the lab / culture).

They were looking for antihistamine-related antiviral effects, among others, and have found them. I have 2 links to share:

University of FLorida Scientists ...

Two Common Coupounds Show Effects ...

Both sources are from November 22.

So ... how practical / helpful could this be? Well, benadryl is easily obtainable as an over the counter antihistamine for treating allergies, and as a sleep aid. Lactoferrin is found in milk (both animal milk, and human breast milk). The issue I see with lactoferrin though is that they tested straight lactoferrin in the cell cultures, and when you drink milk, the lactoferrin is most likely inactivated by digestion before it gets into your blood stream and to your cells, but still ... milk also has vitamin D which is helpful vs COVID-19 anyway; so, there is that!

How about a glass of milk and a benadryl for your COVID ... both potentially preventative of symptoms and / or therapeutic?

I am really thankful to the University of Florida people for this!!!!

edit on 24-11-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: typo. always make at least one ...

Oh, and here is the research article, for reference:

Complete Abstract
edit on 24-11-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: added the abstract. it has the full deal.

edit on 24-11-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: .

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

Well, lol...

My store can't seem to keep milk, cheese, butter.... they can't keep these items in stock. Common sleep aids have it.

People are already abusing Tylenol Pm and it's hard to keep them on the shelves.

Drink up.

Edit: I love cheese A LOT . Didn't seem to help though.πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Also should note that milk and cheese affects you like Morphine ( not the high ). But the ability for it to work... like an immune response.

Happy ThanksGiving s&f.πŸ€—πŸ€—
edit on 24-11-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I often take above recommended doses of Benadryl to sleep and drink plenty of milk. Add that to the list of possible reasons for why my covid confections have been very mild.

edit on 24 11 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

well thats sure good news. been taking those daily for two years now.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Well, lol...

My store can't seem to keep milk, cheese, butter.... they can't keep these items in stock. Common sleep aids have it.

People are already abusing Tylenol Pm and it's hard to keep them on the shelves.

Drink up.

Also should note that milk and cheese affects you like Morphine ( not the high ). But the ability for it to work... like an immune response.

Wow really?

I'm a hopeless insomniac and have been my whole life. Hell Benedryl knocks me out but I don't sleep well, but I do take Zyrtec daily for my allergies I assume it's working cause I don't have to use nose spray anymore. Is it the antihistamine? that shuts down an allergic response to COVID?

cheese? damn I love almost any kind of cheese

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
Wow ... I just saw this new development, and it doesn't look like anyone has started a thread here on ATS about it, and I think it deserves one!

A recent study from scientists at the University of Florida testing live cells vs COVID-19 in vitro has found that 2 common and cheap compounds - lactoferrin, and diphenhydramine (aka: benadryl, among other trade names) - show effectiveness at inhibiting COVID-19 replication in live cells in vitro (in the lab / culture).

They were looking for antihistamine-related antiviral effects, among others, and have found them. I have 2 links to share:

University of FLorida Scientists ...

Two Common Coupounds Show Effects ...

Both sources are from November 22.

So ... how practical / helpful could this be? Well, benadryl is easily obtainable as an over the counter antihistamine for treating allergies, and as a sleep aid. Lactoferrin is found in milk (both animal milk, and human breast milk). The issue I see with lactoferrin though is that they tested straight lactoferrin in the cell cultures, and when you drink milk, the lactoferrin is most likely inactivated by digestion before it gets into your blood stream and to your cells, but still ... milk also has vitamin D which is helpful vs COVID-19 anyway; so, there is that!

How about a glass of milk and a benadryl for your COVID ... both potentially preventative of symptoms and / or therapeutic?

I am really thankful to the University of Florida people for this!!!!

Oh, and here is the research article, for reference:

Complete Abstract
'

If it turns out that milk and Benedryl repel COVID, we ought to completely rehaul Big Pharma.

I'm supposed to believe that these companies pay millions in research and a couple of swampers in jorts and wearing visors discover the cure.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That is an interesting thought ... I also take Zyrtec daily (cetirizine), and -- although their study only included a few antihistamines ( "Specific antihistamines exhibit off-target sigma receptor binding activity, and also exhibit antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2, including clemastine, cloperastine, astemizole, hydroxyzine, azelastine and diphenhydramine. " -- I cannot see why cetirizine would not have a similar effect. I guess this could be another off-label reason for you to keep taking your Zyrtec hah

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

That is an interesting thought ... I also take Zyrtec daily (cetirizine), and -- although their study only included a few antihistamines ( "Specific antihistamines exhibit off-target sigma receptor binding activity, and also exhibit antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2, including clemastine, cloperastine, astemizole, hydroxyzine, azelastine and diphenhydramine. " -- I cannot see why cetirizine would not have a similar effect. I guess this could be another off-label reason for you to keep taking your Zyrtec hah

It is interesting Ive been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease I was having severe vertigo and nausea, they gave me Meclizine it helped and I asked my doctor later if my allergies could be a trigger, she said it was possible. Ive read elsewhere people got relief from antihistamines with Meniere's. 2 years later symptoms are much less and the vertigo episodes are completely gone.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6 I will have to look into Meclizine for my wife...she has one bad ear that gives her the Meniere's. Nearly lost the hearing. She has decided to reduce inflamatory inducing foods and this has helped in the long run, able to teach yet, etc. Her last bout subsided with a week-long steroid regimen...fluid build up flares it up.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I take high doses of VitD daily as I am naturally deficient and when I had Covid pretty bad last year...I just took Nyquil that has an equivalent to diphenhydramine in it for two days (and slept)....and I was fine w/in 48 hours.
edit on 2021 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
a reply to: putnam6 I will have to look into Meclizine for my wife...she has one bad ear that gives her the Meniere's. Nearly lost the hearing. She has decided to reduce inflamatory inducing foods and this has helped in the long run, able to teach yet, etc. Her last bout subsided with a week-long steroid regimen...fluid build up flares it up.

It's brutal I got some hearing loss in the left ear and the ringing is there pretty much constantly,

This place helped with ideas and it's where I found about the possible allergy trigger, but don't despair my ringing is way less than it used to be. Diet and supplements can help magnesium turmeric seem to help.

menieres.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I mentioned about a year and a half in a post on a thread that lactoferrin, a compound found in raw milk, would treat covid. It is not heat stable, most is degraded at temperatures above a hundred sixty five degrees, so milk that does not seperate because of pasteurization does not have much lactoferrin. We were getting grassmilk where you had to shake the carton, it had blobs of cream in it and was at the minimum pasteurization temperature. But now it is ultrapasteurized, so the lactoferrin is irreversibly bound to something. Also, minimally pasteurized milk contains enzymes that also destroy covid. Part of the albumin in milk. An egg, both whites and yolk also contain the ovum enzyme which is destroyed by cooking, when you boil an egg, the enzyme is destroyed and the white and egg get hardened.

Benadryl is not that good for anything other than inhibiting the cytokine storm the virus causes in this case, being a potent anti-histamine. Histamines do work with our immune systems and if you have two much histamine in your body it can tear organs apart. Certain foods are high in histamines while others have chemicals that destroy the enzyme histaminase that breaks down histamines. Supposed Foods that do the latter are stuff like avacados and tomatoes. Histamines are needed in our body but too much is no good, and some people lack a functional DAO enzyme that breaks down the histamines in the body. It is a genetic trait, but if you destroy the enzyme with overconsumption of certain foods you can get a histamine reaction too. I have to moderate histamines even though I only have one copy of the snp, one copy does not cause the enzyme that does not work. I also have to moderate the histamine food consumption and avoid eating tomatoes all the time, avacado avoidance is not a problem, I don't like avacados. I tend to like histamine foods for the increase in energy they can give but have suffered the consequances of overconsumption of them many times, now I just avoid the worst or strongest ones. I also figured out which foods are good antihistamines and consume more of those. No more breathing problems. I always had spurts of breathing problems throughout my life, I do not miss the inhalers at all the doctors gave me. We keep Benedryl in the medicine cabinet, it is a good med to keep some of in your house. Dampening your immune system with it might keep the virus from going covid, but will also make it so the virus could get way more out of hand...so I don't know about Benedryl for this virus. For some people it would be good, for others it could hurt them more than it helps. I don't have enough evidence available to recommend benedryl for covid. A doctor might have more knowledge of that.

But the lactoferin does have some good properties against viruses and other microbes, most evidence I read showed that to be real.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Well, lol...

Drink up.

Yup, milk contains opiate peptides that are bioactive, they calm the public. That is the reason that they told everyone to drink milk for years.....notice that now people are avoiding milk and that our society has gotten all messed up? Soy milk does not have that chemistry, neither does almond milk. Milk did work to calm the crying baby (the public) It was a very good social control mechanism, calmed all the school kids for years. Milk is also an antidote for multiple illnesses.

I am allergic to milk but will never quit it all together, I do have some lactose intolerance, milk is great for my lifelong tendency for constipation. But my allergy is actually a real allergy, it raises my body temperature two degrees plus from one glass, I go from ninety seven degrees to over ninety nine degrees in half an hour and get the shivers sometimes. So I can use milk to stimulate my immune system to fight something. In all bad there is some good and in all good there is some bad, learning to identify how to utilize that is important.

posted on Nov, 24 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Lol.. yepppersπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ€—

Ricky covers it nicely, 🎢🎡Ricky don't lose that number🎢🎡.
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡
a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Nov, 25 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I read an article about a UK bio tech that was using Lactoferrin on masks. Very efficient according to the research.

www.chemistryworld.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I take benadryl for occasional allergies, milk I stop drinking as manufactured milk have nothing natural or nutritional in it anymore, but once in a while I got to Tallahassee and get raw milk in the organic market, that milk have all the enzymes and goodness.

I may have to go more often and get my raw milk.

posted on Feb, 8 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join