It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Lesser Known Secret Societies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hi all,

I thought the linked article was a well written information piece that seemed to try its best to remain unbiased, though for me it rang with a "mostly harmless" (shameless Douglas Adams reference) vibe. This may be absolutely the case, but given my lack of experience on the topic, I could not form an opinion.

If you'd like to know the list without checking out the link, here's the summary:

> The Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World
> The Grand Orange Lodge
> The Independent Order of Odd Fellows
> The Knights of Pythias
> The Ancient Order of the Foresters
> The Ancient Order of United Workmen
> The Patriotic Order Sons of America
> The Molly Maguires

Here's the clickable link with the details:

Eight Secret Societies You Might Not Know

In general, I am not for the idea of a secret society. First and foremost, when it comes to organizations with people at the helm, there's bound to be a 'bad apple' that spoils the bunch at least from time to time. Even if the organization is good at judging and removing persons, there's likely going to be wrongful terminations and/or resentment for these actions. By nature of people in secret societies, at some point the secrets are going to come out. We know that not even the mafia could silence dissenters. The secrets are either 1.) harmless, in which case, why would anyone keep them a secret from the world? or 2.) harmful, in which case often empowering those to rule or judge others. Exclusivity is going to hurt someone at some point. Overall, I'm not a fan of discrimination, though many may view membership as 'discernment'.

Inclusive organizations which promote transparency, benevolence, kindness, synergy, and place God as the lead are certainly something I like to support. Further, in many cases, organization isn't necessary at all. A strong individual can represent themselves and achieve great things without commitment to a group, though co-operatively pooling resources can often achieve greater.

What do you think? Agree, disagree? Other facts, stories, experiences, or opinions?

edit on 22-11-2021 by saint4God because: Clarity

edit on 22-11-2021 by saint4God because: Formatting

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
interesting topic
thanks for info / linque
will do some reading here

edit to add:

looks like these things don't do well in today's culture
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: saint4God

It would seem that you are correct about organisations having a problem with "bad apples" at the helm and quite clearly The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World went through that very phase and came out the other side.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The actual most secret society has no members and does not even know its own name.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I always enjoyed membership in : The Ministry of Funny Walks😜

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

aha a clown.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I'm a member in good standing with a super secret society. The Knights that say nee, local 007

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I always enjoyed membership in : The Ministry of Funny Walks😜

I failed initiation for being "too rhythmic". I guess some secrets will remain such for me.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

I'm a member in good standing with a super secret society. The Knights that say nee, local 007

Licensed to "it"?
edit on 22-11-2021 by saint4God because: better punchline

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   

f you'd like to know the list without checking out the link, here's the summary:

> The Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World
> The Grand Orange Lodge
> The Independent Order of Odd Fellows
> The Knights of Pythias
> The Ancient Order of the Foresters
> The Ancient Order of United Workmen
> The Patriotic Order Sons of America
> The Molly Maguires

The Elks used to get a fair amount of newcomers but I'd be surprised if they were even still operating today.

My grandmother remarried late in life to a guy that was an Elk. He used to tell me that BPOE stood for Best People On Earth instead of Brotherhood Protective Order of Elks.

He was an OK guy...my cousin and I had a lot of fun teasing him and he was always a good sport about it.

edit on 11/23/2021 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2021 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: infiniteMeow

aha a clown.

Circus
Livenup
Out
When
Needed

posted on Nov, 23 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   

What, no Sons of the Desert?

On a more serious note, when I was teenage grease monkey I often had to get spares from a shop next door to an original Odd Fellows lodge. It struck me as a strange name and I imagined all manner of freaks getting together and doing freaky things with a sense of humour.
edit on 23-11-2021 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

(post by MessiahBuddhaBooks removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 4 2021 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

What, no Sons of the Desert?

On a more serious note, when I was teenage grease monkey I often had to get spares from a shop next door to an original Odd Fellows lodge. It struck me as a strange name and I imagined all manner of freaks getting together and doing freaky things with a sense of humour.

Similarly when I was a kid, we would drive by an "Odd Fellows Cemetery" and just thought the town wanted to segregate the more bizarre people from the rest of the 'normal' people. At the same age, I did think the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo would be a great club to belong to.
edit on 4-12-2021 by saint4God because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Post Removed By Staff
edit on 12/6/2021 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Spam
edit on 12/22/2021 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Cicada. Careful using this one in digital forums.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Never mind, I saw that this is an old story.
edit on 22-12-2021 by Guyfriday because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   

edit on Wed Dec 22 2021 by Jbird because: staff edit

top topics

join