It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The (Fabulous Furry) Freak Brothers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
For the old time stoners amongst us, this ones for you.

If you don't know the FFFB, well, Phineas, Freewhelin' Franklin and Fat Freddy aren't the brightest of guys, they do lots of drugs and have escapades like getting beat up by rather muscular Mouseketeers. The Freak Brothers is an actual show now, on Tubi. You can register and stream for free and it's quite painless, their login requirements. Woody Harrelson, John Goodman, Pete Davidson and Tiffany Haddish(Fat Freddy's Cat). I always thought Fat Freddy's Cat was a guy but they thought different. I haven't watched it yet but have the pilot ready.

It was tried years ago as claymation but that never got off the ground. This ones animated. I'm quite stoked about this and the cast seems perfect.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

If you don't know the FFFB, well, Phineas, Freewhelin' Franklin and Fat Freddy aren't the brightest of guys, they do lots of drugs and have escapades like getting beat up by rather muscular Mouseketeers. The Freak Brothers is an actual show now, on Tubi. You can register and stream for free and it's quite painless, their login requirements. Woody Harrelson, John Goodman, Pete Davidson and Tiffany Haddish(Fat Freddy's Cat). I always thought Fat Freddy's Cat was a guy but they thought different. I haven't watched it yet but have the pilot ready.

It was tried years ago as claymation but that never got off the ground. This ones animated. I'm quite stoked about this and the cast seems perfect.

Hooooboyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... on FOX???

Ermmm.... are they actually familiar with FFFB? Asking for a friend, y'know.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Fat Freddy - " Thank goodness the cat didn't poop in my boots again".

Fat Freddys Cat - "Wait til he puts on his headphones!"

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Oh wow, I read those comic books as a teenager!

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with this. 👍

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Oh, man! Does that bring back memories.
I may actually have to check that out. It has to be a real hoot!
Although I am not yet at the stage where I will pay to watch FOX or any other channel.

Thanks for the tip!

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Too bad the episodes are in spanish on tubi on my roku.
Bummer.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Well I hope that they are not going to be politically correct versions.

I remember recently there was a post on ATS about a purported weapon of some sort whose effect was to turn the enemy gay.

It caused me to remember one story from Gilbert Sheldon (Shelton?) in which Fat Freddy's cat told a story about how he once was a secret agent. His chief sent him out on a mission to catch or kill a villain who had synthesised a drug called 'He He He'. It was a drug which caused anyone who drank it to turn "queer".

The villain:

Look at him! Too much He He He has turned him into a prancing gaylord of vengeance. He has dumped the HHH into the water supply aready.

If they want to keep the FFB comics true to form I hope the producers will hire Julian Clary for this part.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

Hooooboyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... on FOX???

Ermmm.... are they actually familiar with FFFB? Asking for a friend, y'know.

Thank Goodness you pointed that out. thought this thread was about to be shut down😆

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The FFFB were some of the best comics ever published. As a kid in the 60s, I had older siblings who had all the underground comics. I loved the Freak Bros. The other comics didn't appeal to me at all.

Gilbert Shelton is a genius!

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: HilterDayon

I remember these from my teenage days too, but I can't imagine that they'll actually make it true to form. Too offensive I'd guess for today's public consumption.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The Freak Brothers were one of my favorite underground comics, Mr. Natural wasn't too bad, Zapped and others were pretty weird.

My favorite issue:

Freak Brothers #4 is a great comic book featuring a slew of one-pagers and one classic epic, "The 7th Voyage, A Mexican Odyssey." In this 24-page adventure, the Freak Brothers travel to Mexico to pick up some weed and encounter one mishap after another. The story certainly ranks, along with "Grass Roots" and The Idiots Abroad, as one of the all-time great long-form Freak Brothers stories.

comixjoint.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yes, it does bring back memories. Long ago!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuitaristRob
Too bad the episodes are in spanish on tubi on my roku.
Bummer.

I thought the same, but after I signed in on Tubi, it showed up in English in a search for "The Freak". Before I signed in, only the Spanish version showed up.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

...and non-stoners!!

I remember them with great fondness. My Dad and Mom hated them with a passion, so naturally, I went looking for 'em.

But I never had to hide 'em, as my Mom and Dad let me read pretty much what ever I wanted to--which kinda took some of the rebellious fun out of it...

But good memories.

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I remember the Fury Freak Brothers because that is what the guys next door used to call my brother and me all the time. We had long curly frizzy hair (hippy kids of the 60s). They had all the underground comic etc. Zapped was pretty out there, as were others. This post really brought back some memories.

Thanks.

FF

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hey FYI, I haven't tried it yet, but here is a link to a site that supposedly will get you past any pay wall.

I make no claims because I haven't tried it, but have been told it works. You can try it for yourself if you want.

get past pay walls

Regards,
FF

posted on Nov, 22 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I've been going through boxes of stuff, getting rid of things and consolidating but I haven't come across my FFFB comics yet. I do believe that joke is in one of them.

Two episodes in it's not very good. Cats not working for me as a character in this. It was always off doing it's own thing and I'd rather have little vignettes like the comics were. I'll still watch it but I didn't think the first two were funny.

posted on Nov, 23 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I can't remember which one it was in but that little bit stuck in my mind as a typical FF & Cat mini strip.

We only got to see a few of them back at school when some kid brought in a tatty copy he'd "liberated" temporarily from an older brother or someone. Everyone took it in turns to borrow them then pass them on.

Some things never transfer well from page to screen. I'm surprised it hasn't become The Wonderful Woolly Woke Broisters in this remake.
I think the worst attempt at filming a great book I've seen was the BBC taking a dump on Mervyn Peakes Gormenghast.
Dreadful casting, poor acting and sets and utterly devoid of the original atmosphere and feel of the whole thing.

When it's done right it can be genius but done wrong it's incredibly disappointing.
Sounds like the Freak Bros was the latter. Doh!

Just adding....This little blast from comics past reminded me of the Sleaze Brothers mini series. Anyone remember them???

edit on 23112021 by Tulpa because: more sleaze

top topics

join