It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVID-19: Machines used to monitor coronavirus patients may have racial bias

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Oximeters that is , machines that measure oxygen levels in the blood could be racist ! , not intentionally of course but they could be Unconsciously biased against people with darker skin , I guess it's not as stupid as it sounds but British Health Secretary Sajid Javid intends to get to the bottom of the matter to route out these potentially biased machines.

Mr Javid referenced research that has shown that oximeters - which monitor oxygen levels and are used to see whether treatment is needed for COVID-19 - are less accurate on people with darker skin.

The health secretary told Trevor Philips On Sunday on Sky News that health disparities had been highlighted by COVID-19.

Discussing evidence that "in many cases" oximeters have been "giving false readings" because of darker skin tones, Mr Javid said: "There are research papers already on this and no one did anything about it.

"Now, I'm not saying this was deliberate by anyone, I think it's just it's a systemic issue potentially, with medical devices and it may go even further than that with medical textbooks, for example."
[url]https://news.sky.com/story/health-secretary-sajid-javid-launches-review-into-racial-bias-in-medical-equipment-after-covid-19-deaths-12474265[/url ]

I guess it's research worth doing and I can understand why it would be but it just tickled me that even machines are being accused of racism now , Unconscious bias training for machines Now !

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I wonder if the recalibrated machines will get "woke" stickers.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Nothing a few trillion dollars can't solve.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
will this research be before or after the quick check into natural immunity?

asking for science.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I love when Science is used for one fix all, you see just like big pharma, they do not apply science when treating people with one pill fix all.

We humans belong to the same species, but we humans are not the same, we are actually very different from each other, when it comes to how the body works.

Science manipulation at its finest, but hey trust science, forget that it can be racist too

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
well, if darker skinned people would get off their asses and "invent' stuff, there wouldn't be so much stuff invented that was racist.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

What colour are the machines?

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

And what would they do about it? Remove the melanin?

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: sraven

Plenty of famous Black inventors.

dailyhive.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Bet you they ain't black, as Biden might say.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I guess it would be a software fix , from what I read machines are thought to be reporting higher levels of Oxygen due to the pigmentation

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Its not all about Biden or America all the same.

I can assure you of such, you don't need to bet.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Impossible !!

Race is a "social construct", don't you know ?.....

/sarc off

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Everything is racial biased in USA......ONLY IN USA.
edit on 21-11-2021 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Everything is racial biased in USA......ONLY IN USA.

But those little devices are all made in China. Is this proof of Chinese influence in the world wide response to covid?

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just got out of the hospital first of the month, while I was in there I discovered I have only one finger the oximeter will work on correctly and that is my left ring finger. All the rest are scarred from 71 years of working with my hands (curiosity before I was 6) and the machines gave much lower reading of my oxygen levels. The nurse told me that 93% was what they were looking for and the machine wouldn't read over 80% on my right hand fingers, some as low as 67%.

One nurse said "obviously you're not dead, we'll try another finger..."

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
I just got out of the hospital first of the month, while I was in there I discovered I have only one finger the oximeter will work on correctly and that is my left ring finger. All the rest are scarred from 71 years of working with my hands (curiosity before I was 6) and the machines gave much lower reading of my oxygen levels. The nurse told me that 93% was what they were looking for and the machine wouldn't read over 80% on my right hand fingers, some as low as 67%.

One nurse said "obviously you're not dead, we'll try another finger..."

I have worked with oximeters for decades. The quality of the device plays a larger role in how accurate they are, than the pigmentation of the patient's skin.

Like you, I have had patients that required me using a different hand, or a different finger, to get a reading, and a few I had to warm their hands for a minute or two to get a reading.

Machines have a potential for failure and inaccuracies, No doctor or nurse will depend solely in the data received by a machine alone. At least none that are worth their salt.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What disgusts me is that everything has to be about racism. We can't just say that there is a rational explanation for why these things don't work on skin with higher melanin content ... oh no, it's because of racism.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What disgusts me is that everything has to be about racism. We can't just say that there is a rational explanation for why these things don't work on skin with higher melanin content ... oh no, it's because of racism.

It's an incredible leap no doubt, but it is pretty sloppy work if it's not adjusted for pigmentation, or tested for that eventually after all we had had different skin pigmentation shades in our population for longer than we have had pulse oxymeters

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Make one post get another post for free always at the end of the half hour it seems
edit on 21-11-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join