It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Biden's Dept of Interior Says the Word SQUAW is a Derogatory Sexist Slur.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Atsbhct

This is ATS, people like to get outraged over things like this.

ATS is composed of people from all walks of life, across many countries.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   

It is offensive. It has a derogatory meaning.

That being said, Im not in favor of renaming everything or tearing down statues. Preserving history, even negative history is important. Truth should not be hidden.

But dont you DARE call me a squaw. I will hurt you!

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

This mostly white woman will do same.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's not just ATS. People get outraged over everything, everywhere. We just talk about it here.

As America declines, even public figures once universally revered by Democrats, are being lambasted by Democrat leaders.

A statue of President Thomas Roosevelt that has stood for 80 years, is being taken down from the middle of New York City, and transferred to the wide open (mostly empty) lands of North Dakota.

Dems ashamed of Teddy: gothamist.com...

Hopefully America's decline begins reversing in November 2022. 🤞

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

And a good portion are perpetually outraged.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Your part right, Yes she was taken but not as a slave, she was kidnapped. While she was being held for the ransom during a break in the war with her fathers tribe. The colonist wanted weapons and tools that were stolen from them back and her father didn't give them back all that the colonist thought was stolen. So they kept her hoping he would, but the fighting started back up. During that time she some say encouraged others say forced to convert to Christianity and took the name Rebeca. It's also said that during this fighting the colonist let her talk to her father and she told him she was ashamed of him for valuing axes and swords over her and would rather live with the colonist who loved her.

After she married a tobacco farmer named Rolfe if i recall, and had a son and peace was established because of that. But the British snotty noses didn't like the Idea that a commoner married a princess to much. I guess that it's all Right to kill royalty but but you can't marry them even if they are heathens.

Anyway the reason she went to England was the greedy bastards who owned the Virginia Company of London wanted to exploit a the converted savage so they could get investments and settlers for the new settlements.
From what I remember while there, she was treated with respect and pomp and circumstance as any other royal would have been. Even though as it turns out she was not thought of as a princess by her tribe, just the chiefs daughter the Brits saw her father as a KIng John Smith helped this lie by writing to Queen Anne saying they should treat her well as their cheifs Kings daughter.

So she lived most of her life as a free person could during that time, except for the time being held for ransom it seems. And no she wasn't going to stay in England she and Rolfe were going back to Virginia and and died just before before they did on the way to the boat.

I guess I could have said this with out writing a messy term paper. Sometimes I can get long winded.

Another thing, I'll have to check,to make sure but if SQUAW is the actual word that indigenous peoples used for women/female in the english , and don't take offense to it why should anybody else be offended.
Now for some other culture to use it in derogatory way I might can see that people in that culture being offend but only if being used in a derogatory sesne.

edit on 21-11-2021 by TomCollin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Investigation needs to start to figure out WHY the Government waited till the Atlanta Braves won the World Series !!

Rigged 😎

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nobody questions offense taken by a person of color when called the N word by a white person. We know its offensive. Why question women that take offense being called squaw? The two words are equivalent. They were historically used to talk down to a person as lesser, a slave.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

Tom, I challenge you to travel out to the reservation of your choice, and call the first woman you encounter, a squaw. Let us know how it proceeds after that.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrujaRebooted

Who said I'm questioning native woman offended by this? I'm laughing at the bozos who are outraged over them not liking the word.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I suppose it also depends who uses it.
Cher's song "Half Breed" has the lyrics:

The Indians said that I was white by law/The White Man always called me "Indian Squaw".

Of course that song is often performed in high camp, and also has long standing significance for the queer community.

But otherwise I think it's been a no-no since the 1990's.

(I mean to repeat it in polite society, I guess historical films and literature should be appropriately contextualized.)
edit on 21-11-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrujaRebooted

It is offensive. It has a derogatory meaning.

That being said, Im not in favor of renaming everything or tearing down statues. Preserving history, even negative history is important. Truth should not be hidden.

But dont you DARE call me a squaw. I will hurt you!

I don't know if you're agreeing with me that this is offensive, or telling me not to call you a squaw, which I wouldn't? Because in Canada... only the grossest kind of people would ever call an indigenous woman this. I am confused.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BrujaRebooted

Here is a letter to the Editor of News from Indian Country, from The Smithsonian Institution archives writen in 1997.
The author was in charge of Department of Anthropology of the National Museum and a linguist named Ives Goddard.

In its historical origin, however, the word squaw is perfectly innocent, as current dictionaries also correctly indicate: squaw comes from a language of the Algonquian family in which it meant "woman.'' The facts are as follows:

Opens a Word Document page,

THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE WORD SQUAW

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I have my doubts, but sure, whatever you say. I've said previously you can't speak on behalf of a tribe you don't belong to and I stand by that statement. White people need to stop white knighting and let the ethnic community use their own voice.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
well then after 200 years it is nice that someone thought of that finally

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

Why did you leave this part of the letter out you cited, Tom?

First let me say that I have never "disputed the fact that the term is offensive'' (as claimed by Muriel Charwood-Litzau in your mid December 1996 issue, citing a misleading Associated Pressstory). I have always tried to emphasize that squaw is now generally considered disparaging, ascurrent dictionaries rightly indicate. Everyone would regard its use to refer to a Native American woman as demeaning (or colossally ignorant), though it should be noted that terms like squaw bread and squaw dance are still pretty widely used in Indian Country

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So my Squaw Creek Farm on Squaw Creek is bad now? Making good money and no complaints.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Did you also notice that, even though they were making a stink about what he said he pointed out their hypocrisy in using the terms squaw bread and squaw dance in their paper.

The saying those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones comes to mind

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomCollin
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Did you also notice that, even though they were making a stink about what he said he pointed out their hypocrisy in using the terms squaw bread and squaw dance in their paper.

The saying those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones comes to mind

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you can't recognize the difference between a racial slur aimed at an indigenous woman and a bread recipe, or traditional war dance performed by men to expel ghosts and otherwise evil spirits before a battle.

As the author said, " colossally ignorant".

edit on 21-11-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

My husband calls me a squaw all the time and he means it
as a term of endearment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join