It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Biden's Dept of Interior Says the Word SQUAW is a Derogatory Sexist Slur.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Isn't Pocahontas Warren a Squaw. Maybe someone should ask about her thoughts on it.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

Squaw belly

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Uh, is this new?

Don't quote me on this, but isn't it a made up word used be early settlers because they couldn't properly pronounce the local native language, or because they misunderstood something in the language, or something like that?

I was under the impression that Native Americans have never really liked people using it, and that it mostly entered the vocabulary through pulp fiction written by white people.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Ummm…Sooooooo…the word…“woman”…is offensive to Indigenous descendants…?

I sure hope your capable of realizing…that every single person born in the…America’s…are “Native Americans”…

If your trying to be so politically correct that you can’t even say…Native American…then one wonders how you might
Respond by using the terms…aboriginal…or indigenous…

If your attempting to describe the descendants of the first human inhabitants of the continents of North and South America…

Then…Indian…would certainly be incorrect…

However…their ancestors would certainly be aboriginal…and indigenous…

Thank you…

There will be a short quiz in the morning…please be prepared…

YouSir
edit on 21-11-2021 by YouSir because: Clarity demanded…and I acquiesced…

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Here in Arizona, we've had this argument already! Back in the early 2000s. Squaw Peak and Squaw Peak Parkway were renamed Piestawa Peak and Parkway to honor a Navajo soldier killed in the early days in Afghanistan. It caused quite a controversy.

As I understood it, "squaw" itself is a corruption of Native American languages. Northeastern tribes (I don't recall which ones) used a similar term to "squaw" to refer to women, often young women. Not as a slur.

However, in the southeeastern tribes, a term used for female genitalia ended with the "squaw" sound, and this abbreviated term was indeed used by settlers as a derogatory term to refer to Native American women.

In the case of Squaw/Piestawa Peak name change, it was first established by the state, and a few years later confirmed by the Feds.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It is degrogatory. Can I call your little 7 yr old daughter, your Mom, wife, sister..."Hey Squaw?!"

But...THAT would be different for you, huh!?😏

Part Cherokee/Chickasaw

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

Wasn't pocahontas more or less a slave, brought to england never to see her home again?
I think in most of the westerns I have watched, the white men would call the indian women squaws, while white women were wives. It always seemed a bit of an insult to me, at least in the old westerns.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
As a Canadian, this seems so insane to me. This would be 100% seen as a derogatory term here and you'd likely get a good old fashioned indigenous beat down if you called a Native woman that. I don't know why you would want to call a native woman that even. It seems so weird that a person would be upset that someone said this was offensive to some indigenous people.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

This is ATS, people like to get outraged over things like this.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Atsbhct

This is ATS, people like to get outraged over things like this.

It's not just ATS. People get outraged over everything, everywhere. We just talk about it here.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can honestly say 90% of the panty twisting stuff that gets posted here never pops up in conversations I have offline.

The big stuff yeah, but "dey terk er injurns" type stuff, no.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
It's derived from Algonquin for "woman". Correct spelling is "skwa" so maybe amend that specific detail but otherwise... it's a noun like any other.

What's the spelling in The Algonquin Language ? 😎

Making a description in English/Latin may be offensive and Racist !!

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomCollin
Isn't Pocahontas Warren a Squaw. Maybe someone should ask about her thoughts on it.

She believes it's only 1/1024th racist. She said so. Hundreds of people heard it 😎

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I have, growing up in NM. Women of all races were traded around between native people and Europeans, captured, enslaved. Squaw is a derogatory term. I also wonder, since tribes spoke different languages, which tribe used the word originally?

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lots of recent edit activity in the Wiki page Hmmmm😎

Can't imagine why

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Uh, is this new?

Don't quote me on this, but isn't it a made up word used be early settlers because they couldn't properly pronounce the local native language, or because they misunderstood something in the language, or something like that?

I was under the impression that Native Americans have never really liked people using it, and that it mostly entered the vocabulary through pulp fiction written by white people.

Where's the "sources" for that statement and assumption? 😎

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

We always thought "Indian" was coined by Spanish because they thought the original Columbus route went to India ? 😎

But Spanish vs English ????😎

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomCollin

I think she listed herself as such back in the 1990's, in order to get a job. (An affirmative-action thing at the time.)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Uh, is this new?

If anyone can come up with an official tribal document spelling out their grievances, we might find "Squaw" on there, along with the "Tomahawk Chop".

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Part Choctaw. Step Grandmother 100% Mescalero Apache.

I’d scalp a man call me a squaw, Mamaw Isabel would hand me the blade.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join