It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric vehicles, baah.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Just that batteries for EV do not put out 12V and are not rated by Ah.

400V or 800V in my case. Anyways your calculation is circular. 20% charge on a 93kWh battery and a 1kW heater gives you 18 hours.

If you're still stuck after 18 hours, EV or gasoline, you run into different problems all together. And like others wrote, in such blizzards, people with gasoline cars regular run out of gas, so why should the EV be judged by higher standards?

So let's do that. If often hear how EV has so low range. According to the logic applied by you and others, an EV can not be far from home or a charger at any times. How many highways or rural roads do you know, that you could reach with an EV that would be so far out that after 18 hours, help has not arrived.

Let's apply the things being said about EV throughout then, and not just when it fits the narrative.

posted on Nov, 25 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It’s a reasonable question raised by the OP which may have been misinterpreted by some. I think what he’s suggesting is what would happen to the occupants if they found themselves marooned in a 20 mile gridlock during a particularly cold spell with nowhere to go on foot to find shelter.
If you’re in a petrol/gas/diesel vehicle you’ve a good chance of keeping the engine turning from time to time to heat your car (cars due to there metal skin lose heat extremely quickly). Diesel being well known to start in the harshest of cold environments, if you’re willing to light a fire under your motor.
If you’re in an electric motor for one, you’re not going to have a full battery, two the cold would’ve reduced the capacity by 20% ish. And three, even if you survived the freezing temperatures for 24hrs can you be sure you can get of the motorway/highway. Not all electrics have 300 mile range.
So you could still be stuck.
Currently electric cars are built on a power pack which is no better than banks of 1000s of little batteries linked together. Until the next gen of battery, whether that is aluminium or even solid state (using graphene for eg) reaches max market i for one will be watching the weather forecast very carefully.
Personally. I’m betting on an alternative to electric, one which doesn’t rely on exploiting Africa for cobalt and other rare elements, strip mining South America for lithium or digging up millions of miles tarmac to lay charging strips, and remember the electricity used by the current charging stations is produced in part by gas or coal fired turbines.
I’m betting on an alternative to electric. And no it’s not hydrogen….. it’s….

Biomethane

posted on Nov, 25 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could you all please try and explain to me what will happen when all the electric vehicles get stuck on a free way for a number of hours in freezing conditions. With wipers going and the aircon on full and all having flat batteries.
Is this been thought out properly?????

paine.tv...
paine.tv/tesla-owners-left-stranded-in-cold-after-smartphone-app-crashes-over-weekend/

Tesla owners got a nice early holiday gift this weekend when several owners reported not being able to get into their car due to “500 server errors” popping up on their Tesla smartphone apps.

The error left some owner stranded in the cold over the weekend, StreetInsider wrote on Monday morning.

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
Imagine the realization sinking in that the automobile chooses to save its batteries from harm and shuts the cabin heat down.

wow AI self preservation? cool!

posted on Nov, 26 2021 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: crayzeed

Ummm…yes…the throughways will charge your vehicle as you wait in traffic…by induction…much like that smartphone of yours as it sits on your induction charger…

Pretty nifty…huh…?

C’mon guys…get the eff out your box…when you do your thinking…

YouSir
Dr Evil with air quotes, "infrastructure"

Someone tried driving up a power pole when they lost control on the ice. The power is out and the trucks can’t get out there until the blizzard stops. No power to the induction system.

I hope you brought candles. They put out some heat.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:25 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 8 2022 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ronyboy

I like the idea that we focus on the site
edit on 8-3-2022 by tomaswilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Our gov is f***ing crazy to push this BS...

I have an e-bike, it's nice but it has pedals on it...

Electric cars don't have pedals.

Pete Buttigieg says he's "astonished" that "some folks seem to really struggle to let go" of their gas-powered vehicles in favor of electric vehicles...

Video Link: 👉 twitter.com...

Video Link: 👉 twitter.com...

Pete Buttigieg: “The more pain we are all experiencing from the high price of gas, the more benefit there is for those who can access electric vehicles”

Family says electric car battery replacement costs more than car!!!

youtu.be...

When her grandfather looked into replacing the battery, Ford service technicians told them they could do it – for $14,000, plus installation fees.

The car was initially purchased by the Siwinskis for $11,000.

Adding insult to injury, the local Ford dealership said they’d take the car off their hands for a measly $500.

🤡🌎

edit on 39073931am312022Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:39:23 -0500 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could you all please try and explain to me what will happen when all the electric vehicles get stuck on a free way for a number of hours in freezing conditions. With wipers going and the aircon on full and all having flat batteries.
Is this been thought out properly?????

Alert 10.6.2022

Electric Cars caught in extremely WET conditions are exploding!

BAD SITUATION IN FLORIDA after Hurricane IAN.

Officials Warn EV Owners: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The question is:

Exactly how much gasoline/diesel will they use to bury these cables in the roadway? You're talking a huge amount of roadwork.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Electric cars and salt water don’t mix? Who knew?

What if all rescue operations were limited to using EV only? Seems a recipe for some serious disaster.

posted on Oct, 13 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is the bad time a reply to: crayzeed

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join