It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour shortage forcing some Quebec stores to reduce operating hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 02:35 AM
link   
In Quebec there are some stores that are trying reduce operating hours because of Labour shortage. But there are those articles which wont mention whatever or not the Labour shortage that Quebec is facing is related to the vaccine mandates/passports.

Labour shortage forcing some Quebec stores to reduce operating hours

The shop is closed on Sundays and one other day every week or two because management can't find workers. "We have to work the extra hours because it's impossible to find people," manager Sheral Dhanani said.

Is it because of the mandates or environment of the workplace?

"We're making the place and environment as happy as we can but I would definitely love to see people come back to work and be open full time," said owner Amanda Barnes.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Canada has the same horrible bulls#t "worker shortage" story too? 😃

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

yup they do. fact is when it comes to societal and social issues, Canada and the US might as well be considered the same country. and this is true even with completely different governments and even laws. Canada might be a bit behind timewise, of the US, but the problems are there. racial issues, check. out of control police, and things like police killing innocents, check. school shootings, and mass shootings, check (remember the first couple of media hyped mass shootings, were in Canada). public anger issues and people going completely off their rocker at things like store staff, check.

just last week for example the public transit company my father worked for was asking retirees to come back to work, because they are short staffed, with bus scheduling and possibly even routes are having to be cut because of it. and i have been hearing the exact same complaints of difficulty finding enough staff, especially in restaurants and retail, in Canada, as in the US. both in media and from friends and relatives.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 05:35 AM
link   
What better excuse to get the country some sub 80 IQ cultural enrichers?

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik

yup they do. fact is when it comes to societal and social issues, Canada and the US might as well be considered the same country. and this is true even with completely different governments and even laws. Canada might be a bit behind timewise, of the US, but the problems are there. racial issues, check. out of control police, and things like police killing innocents, check. school shootings, and mass shootings, check (remember the first couple of media hyped mass shootings, were in Canada). public anger issues and people going completely off their rocker at things like store staff, check.

just last week for example the public transit company my father worked for was asking retirees to come back to work, because they are short staffed, with bus scheduling and possibly even routes are having to be cut because of it. and i have been hearing the exact same complaints of difficulty finding enough staff, especially in restaurants and retail, in Canada, as in the US. both in media and from friends and relatives.

Honestly that surprises me that it would be that bad in Canada. I ascribe a lot of the worker shortage to 2 primary factors that are not touched upon by the MSM. One is that the prime working age group, 20~45 dont want the vaccine for fear of health reprucusussions and the second is tht the prolonged lock downs have created an "avoidance" mindset, i.e., more and more people just don't want to be forced to deal with "others". The lockdowns have conditioned people to the idea that "other" people are a threat so they prefer to work from home rather than have to deal with general population. It is an interesting phenomenon in that respect.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

originally posted by: generik

Honestly that surprises me that it would be that bad in Canada. I ascribe a lot of the worker shortage to 2 primary factors that are not touched upon by the MSM. One is that the prime working age group, 20~45 dont want the vaccine for fear of health reprucusussions and the second is tht the prolonged lock downs have created an "avoidance" mindset, i.e., more and more people just don't want to be forced to deal with "others". The lockdowns have conditioned people to the idea that "other" people are a threat so they prefer to work from home rather than have to deal with general population. It is an interesting phenomenon in that respect.

i see just as much, if not more antivax stuff from Canada, on facebook, as i do from the US. also saw a lot from Canada over lock-downs, and mask mandates. but like i pointed out, that should be no surprise due to both Canada and the US being so close with such issues. even though Canada has been screwed by anti gun stuff, it is still a huge issue. with the only difference being in Canada instead of fighting to keep gun rights, in Canada it is fighting to regain gun rights.

and it's not really about being forced to deal with others, after being isolated for a small period of time. it's about the abuse people that work with the public being abused (including physical assaults), by that public. something that has only been made far worse during the pandemic. especially due to mask wearing, and now vaccines. but that issue has been getting worse and worse for over 30 years now. i personally was physically assaulted by customers over things i had no control over twice, and that was about 15 and 25 years ago. my father driving city transit was physically assaulted several times even back then. and it was far from uncommon at both workplaces. a problem so bad that over 20 years ago we had training from work about how to try and deal with such out of control customers. and that was in Canada. it's just back then, everyone didn't have a cellphone that could take video of it. so you were not seeing videos online about it. personally with how bad such things are getting, i know i wouldn't want that type of job these days in Canada or the US.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is happening all over....my town of 75,000 people....they cannot find people to work in the retail and fast food stores....so, reduced hours for customers. It seems to be all over the country. I don't understand it because from what I hear, the extra money for unemployment has stopped.

Edit to add. We have no mask mandates....and most of our retailers do not have vax mandates...even the chains because they are owned locally. We have never had this problem before.
edit on 2021 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaemac
This is happening all over....my town of 75,000 people....they cannot find people to work in the retail and fast food stores....so, reduced hours for customers. It seems to be all over the country. I don't understand it because from what I hear, the extra money for unemployment has stopped.

Edit to add. We have no mask mandates....and most of our retailers do not have vax mandates...even the chains because they are owned locally. We have never had this problem before.

there are several things happening. you have the pay and insane public issues. then there is the benefits issue, since many of thee low pay jobs are also jobs that put you at high risk of catching the virus (especially in places with no mask mandate), and so if you get sick, you are screwed.

but there are other reasons people are not taking those jobs. one of the big other reasons is so many better and better paying jobs are open. so pretty much everyone of course is trying to get those. remember in many areas those low pay jobs aren't enough to live on. so which job are you going to apply for? the job of standing and doing labor all you shift. dealing with a public that any one of them can go off at any time, and being jerks in general. a higher risk of getting sick, with no benefits to cover that. and along with all that, you need a second job to just pay your bills, while at the same time since your work hours are not steady and are scheduled all over the clock, don't easily allow you to get that second job?

or are you going for the office job. where you get to sit all day doing paperwork. where you have a nice and sold 9-5, mon-fri work hours. a job that pays enough to at least live on, without needing a second job. a job that comes with benefits, yet at the same time since you don't generally deal with the public, far less chance of getting the virus. a job where you won't get hit or yelled at by the public, over things you don't even control. a job where you might actually have a decent chance at getting promotions, and a sense of accomplishment?

i think most people are applying to the second sort of job, and ignoring the first altogether. and will until all the "good jobs" are gone. which might be a couple of years. and don't be surprised when someone actually takes the first sort of job, or has been even working there for years, gives you five minutes warning, if any that they quit. finding a better job instead.

but why are so many jobs open in the first place? and this is the real key to the whole situation. many people were laid off during the pandemic and shut downs. this is especially true of many of those low paying jobs, such as restaurants and retail. showing just how much said jobs "valued" their employees, and there is no guarantee it won't happen again, making taking such a job a bit of a risk. then you have all the jobs that have been created during the pandemic, as some businesses took off and have expanded, adding more jobs needing to be filled. of course many people also died (almost 800,000 in the US), opened up jobs. then you have all those people that retired, some due to concern about getting sick, since the older you are, the more risk. while others decided they enjoyed not going to work, as they sat at home during lockdowns. that seems to have opened up a fair amount of jobs, and a lot of those allowing a lot of people to climb the work ladder leaving their jobs open. and then you have parents. some of whom not being able to rely on schools to 'babysit" their kids, as shutdowns of schools can happen, not to mention the fact that with a shortage of school bus drivers, they can't get to and from school, don't feel that they can return to work. as well as those that have discovered through lockdowns that their working, really wasn't helping the family, with their earnings primarily going to pay child care. this has not only opened up a lot of jobs, but generally those low paying jobs that are having issues finding staff, as well as removing themselves from the workforce, meaning less people to take those jobs, or any job. and then there are those more at risk to the virus, due to health problems. again causing them to stay away from high risk jobs, such as dealing with the public. as well as possibly removing themselves from the workforce, unless they can get "safer work", especially work with health benefits. yet again opening up still more jobs, and possibly removing themselves from the workforce. which all in all means far more open jobs than normal, while there are less people to take those jobs. which of course means that people pretty much can pick and choose just what jobs to apply for.

and then just for fun you have businesses playing games. because it is an employee rich environment, some businesses are being very choosy, many waiting for just the right candidate. while others just don't seem to want to hire people to fill those jobs. people have put in applications at tons of even low paying jobs, and don't hear back at all. while others will advertise their "starting pay", then call back after a couple months or so, to offer the job to the person, at less pay then they had said they would pay.making it likely the person has already gotten a job, or is not willing to work for less pay then they were told. all the while these businesses are whining about how they can't get staff (hoping that the government will force people to take those low paying jobs?).

top topics

join