It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Headsup: 97% lunar eclipse, longest in century about to happen

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I've been waiting for this moment a while now.

There will be a complete 97% lunar eclipse on 19.11.2021. This will be the longest full 97% eclipse in this century for Europe and for our American members, it's going to be the longest in almost 600 years, with 97% coverage.

Why is this one so special?
This eclipse will be the longest in centuries, because it will happen while the moon is around it's apogee. That's the farthest point from Earth, thus, it takes a longer distance to travel through the Earths shadow, as it circles Earth.

Why is it going to be red?
(CCASA 4.0 licensed, by Sanu N)source
As the Earth blocks the sunlight, some of it goes through the atmosphere and get's refracted by mostly oxygen and nitrogen. These two elements will scatter shorter wavelengths like blue or violet, as colors like red orange and yellow punch through and still reach the moon, bathing it in these colors.

Where and when to observe
These are the regions where it will be visible, while North Americans get the best time and view, there are other places where it will be visible. . For Europe, it will happen in daylight, for Asia it will happen after noon, also in daylight. Huge parts of Africa and the Middle East will not be able to witness.

Source of picture: NASA

North & South America - 2:20 am to 5:50 am (Eastern Time) 4am is the peak.
West Europe - 8:20am to 11:50 am (UTC+2)
India - 11:30am to 5:30pm (IST)
www.timeanddate.com...

This is something to witness, as you only get this chance now. That is, if you're not born this year and or get to live at least 79 years from this point in time, you aint going to catch the next one of this kind. I will never forget the complete solar eclipse I witnessed, when I was young.

Add: Damn it's in the wrong forum.
Add: Thank you Ahabstar for moving

edit on 18.11.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Awesome! Thanks for that heads-up. I probably would have missed it.

Will be viewing from Mexico. Unfortunately, I'll have to be in the city instead of my mountain cabin.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

That's interesting.

Hopefully we get a clear sky with no clouds to witness.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm going to have my 8 year old grandsons this weekend, one of which loves everything to do with the solar system. I guess nana is going to have to set her alarm for this. I think he will love it.
Thank you for the head up!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

It's not a complete eclipse. It's close, but not complete.
It's An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

97% isn't 100% but tell me, will you be able to notice the missing 3% with the bare eyes confidently?

I don't think so. You won't get another one with such length and coverage in the next 100 years and had not in the last 500+ years.

But yes, 97% is not a complete one. I agree.

I wrote 97% figure in my OP, but I changed it now. Hope it is not confusing to the reader, because it now reads like this will be the longest 97% eclipse.
edit on 18.11.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 06:53 AM
link   

will you be able to notice the missing 3% with the bare eyes confidently?
I hope not, but I think so.
I think it will be a sliver of light on the bottom.
We'll just have to wait and see.

or maybe on the side.
something like this.

edit on 11/18/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Exciting stuff! I'm looking forward to it.

To break down the time zones for the USA --

2:20 am to 5:50 am (Eastern Time) 4am is the peak.

1:20 am to 4:50 am Central Standard Time -- 3:00 am peak

12:20 am to 3:50 am Mountain Standard Time -- 2:00 am peak

11:20 pm to 2:50 am Arizona and Pacific Standard Time -- 1:00 am peak

8:20 pm to 11:50 pm Hawaii Time -- 10:00 pm peak

Astrologically speaking, eclipses are often associated with the loss or fall of a nations leaders, often from unseen or unknown "enemies"... I can think of several leaders that I'd be happy to lose -- or watch fall from the tyrannical high horses! With Biden's birthday the very next day (November 20), I would not be at all surprised if we see Biden resign.

Generally speaking, it will bring big changes for the fixed signs -- Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius. These changes can be transformative in one way or another, if one is willing to let go of the old and embrace the new. The more you fight it though, the more difficult it will be. The trick will be to accept the changes and move forward in the most practical and productive ways possible for your circumstances.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Ah perfect! Thank you for listing up the American time zones

Interestingly, the November moon is also called slaughter moon. So the moon turning red in this month because of the eclipse, might have impressed folks a lot back in the times. Other names are snow moon, beaver moon, fog moon. I know there are more but these are the ones I remember.

I am most curious if I pick up anything energy wise during that time, but guess it's going to be near impossible because it's in daylight and also busy hours with traffic, lot's of EM in the air and distrubances. In around 13 hours I will get up, drive to my favorite meditating stone and do a blessing. Its too far to walk.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   

We will see

Or not, because for us here, it's cloudy and foggy.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Sucks so bad every time there is a cool celestial event in massachhsetts its cloudy I've been looking forward to this for so long.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Honestly, as much as I'm into All Things Above At Night & have had my eyes plastered skyward since I was a kid just observing the night's sky...lunar eclipses are just plain boring. Nah, hear me out, it's a legit view.

Almost everyone will see a near-full or fully full lunar eclipse at some point from their own home anywhere it may be, weather permitting (and assuming they bother to look up instead of at a phone)

Now those solar ones & their totality paths -- that's something else and yeah, it's leaps and bounds more spiritual than the moon is. Seeing the stars during THE DAY is...you immediately know to cherish that, it's special beyond words.

I'm looking very, very forward to seeing the one in '24 here in MI, I won't be too far north of totality (much closer than last time) and if I'm to be honest with myself, the odds of ever seeing another in my lifetime, assuming I never move elsewhere, is zero. I'll relish that, lunar eclipses are a dime a dozen compared to that.
edit on 11/18/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It depends on the viewpoint and personal values.

I am not a collecting person but these events, as mundane as they may appear, I want to be aware of them and experience them. Normal lunar eclipses are not spectacular, I agree. Having the total solar eclipse in I think it was 98' was awe inspiring. Suddenly the birds stopped singing when it went darker, street lights came on and everyone was just watching and enjoying it.

This eclipse is special however, for the reasons stated above.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
edit on 18-11-2021 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Cheers for the heads up me duck, explains why the driving has been totally mental on the roads today. Eclipse gonna be big draw to the candle for the UFO Orbs, time to g a huntin

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

We will see

Or not, because for us here, it's cloudy and foggy.

Currently, it's mostly cloudy here, but the forecast looks promising for it to be clear skies tonight. (and cold. 23°)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I read something that during the eclipse you should not look at it, and you should close all your blinds.
It is a time to get rid of things, even leftover food.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'll have to wake up for this.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Anybody any idea what time this eclipse will be visible in the UK?

My little lad is pretty interested.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join