It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have Scotch / Whisky in your Office?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I know no one is supposed to have alcohol in their office, but after many years of seniority it's kind of expected. Some keep a bottle hidden in their desk drawer for that night they get stranded at the office. Others (maybe like me) have a bottle of nice Scotch or Whiskey sitting out on their back desk or credenza with some glasses.

It's not party every night (far from it), but there are times after burning the midnight oil that a few close colleagues deserve a drink of some nice spirits.

Sure, the rules say I can be fired for drinking on the job, but I never do. Only after, and then on my own time, once the lights in the office are turned down and the only ones on are mine and the other poor saps struggling for a solution to some crisis (fortunately not mine).

For years I kept a bottle in my desk. Rarely ever drank any, even forgot about it a few times (more than a few). Now, I don't care what people think, and they do ask. I will straight up ask them if they'd like some, even at 8am if that's their choice.

I've never had a single person say or do anything negative about it. They know...I just don't care.

A few months ago I was given a Waterford crystal decanter and some Waterford glasses (with a nice tray) for my spirits. They sit proudly on my credenza adjacent to my desk.

Yeah, it looks pretty fancy. Too bad I rarely ever go to my office anymore.

(Hope folks didn't drink all my expensive liquor!!) LOL! (Yes, my office is locked).

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My last employee evaluation took place in an office with a single malt.

All I'm going to say.

edit on 16-11-2021 by DBCowboy because: Biden drank my beer

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I don't think I'd trust someone who doesn't. I once had a boss who had good whiskey, gin, and vodka in a "secret" cabinet.
He called the booze "morale boosters".

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Not sure of the type but the last company I worked for, walking through the office of infosec folks there were at least a dozen bottles I saw out in the open. Now this was at the older office, the newer office that was the showcase space for clients looked like every other silicon valley office ever.

Now that I work from home, I'll have the occasional drink after 5 while still working on a few things. I know I've caught our sales folks having a drink from time to time in the middle of the day.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Nvm...bad form.
edit on 11/16/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Awww c'mon!

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I don't think I'd trust someone who doesn't. I once had a boss who had good whiskey, gin, and vodka in a "secret" cabinet.
He called the booze "morale boosters".

With gin, you really need crushed ice. I only do the "toonies", dirty toonies at that, on business trips with cheap clients. Otherwise, expensive Scotch or some nice Whiskey.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Back when my office had a door, yes.

Now I work from home and I have two at the moment.

And like 15 firearms, because there's nowhere else to put them.

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Don't be fooled by the box. The original box got heavily damaged over the years. The cork was starting to get brittle. So I had to do an emergency purchase of a new bottle and get it good and empty before putting the old scotch in the new Blue bottle and box. It's 1992 Johnny Walker Blue.

I do have an old crystal set with 2 glasses, crystal bottle, crystal ice keeper and an old wood tray with what I'm guessing is cast iron. It belonged to my dads dad, and his dads dad. It's was in the family since before the turn of the century... for the children of ATS, I'm not talking this recent one. So that doesn't get used, it is in a china cabinet that's also older than that.

It's only been poured seldom. Only down about 2 inches since it was opened a long time ago.

edit on 16-11-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Back in the mid 80s, I had a credenza in my office, that held a fair variety of spirits. Also had the Waterford Crystal decanter and glasses.

It was quite common to have a drink after work with my staff. And many a conversation and business meetings were civilized with a drink. Cigars and cigarettes often accompanied the drinks.

Those days are long gone..

posted on Nov, 16 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Back in the mid 80s, I had a credenza in my office, that held a fair variety of spirits. Also had the Waterford Crystal decanter and glasses.

It was quite common to have a drink after work with my staff. And many a conversation and business meetings were civilized with a drink. Cigars and cigarettes often accompanied the drinks.

Those days are long gone..

I know; a lot of people say those days are long gone.

I say...screw those people!

posted on Nov, 17 2021 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yes and you reminded me about it.

18 year old Scottish single malt, Glenmorangie. It's unopened and the plan is to open it and enjoy a glass when I reached my 500th customer. At times I've been tempted to open it prematurely, like after the water damage but I am glad I did not. I fully expect that I will forget about the 500 customer barrier and recognize it afterwards, though. Probably while doing bills.

(post by JustSaviorCyber removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join