It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Boars an Increasing Problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 05:48 AM
link   
There was a wild boar problem some years back just a few miles away over in the next county. I think the story was that they escaped from a wild game ranch, or they may have been feral domestic pigs, not sure, but I never saw any signs of them in my swamp.

At least half a dozen people talked about the problems they caused and about some kind of pit trap they were using to catch them. I have no idea of how many had been running wild, but the locals got them in check quickly.

I believe they were saying that the Michigan DNR had shoot on sight orders, no hunting license required. There are also big packs of coyotes around here that are the top wild predators. There's a pack of at least a dozen that come through here about once a month, supposedly wolf hybrid "coy-dogs" (which explains the large packs).

Other than these occasional escaped pigs, there doesn't seem to be a problem locally for me, but they are becoming a problem in Michigan now.

Kalamazoo Wild pigs still being sighted in Michigan, still causing problems for property owners Updated: Jan. 19, 2019, 9:51 p.m. | Published: Apr. 02, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

Mlive

Rooting out wild pig’s impact in Michigan By Kurt Williams | April 15, 2020

Great Lakes Echo

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: RealSaviorFromCyber

Damnable spam bots! Why is this such a problem lately? The old owners never had this problem, not that I remember.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

They made it that far north?

That's not good news.

Here in southern Maine I never thought we'd see them.
Some years back the gub'ment started air-dropping wolves into parts of canada to sort out some wildlife population problems- now we're seeing wolf/coyote hybrids coming down from that border.

If pigs are coming up from the south, to get here they'd have to get through boston/new york... I'd actually like to see that, but they breed so quickly they might make it.

Then we'd have city hardened wild boars coming from the south/west, and wolf/coyote hybrid monsters coming from the north/west.

Maybe I should have bought coastal property. And a boat.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I didn't mention the black bears, been a problem for a few years now. Taking down bird feeders mostly, other wise you never seem them.

Sea serpents and lake monsters, that's next, right? Mars is looking better all the time.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Did you know that there was something called a licker (sp) fish in Rome that was considered a delicacy? They aren't 100% sure what species it was, but they were caught primarily from the outlets of the Cloaca Maxima which is exactly what it sounds like - the outlets of the sewers of Rome - into the river.

Romans used to really, really think it was hawt stuff, so I guess don't knock it til you've tried it.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

That sounds like an awesome woodland cage match.

Wolf/coyote hybrid v urban boar ... FIGHT!

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
They've hit central PA as well altho despite pictures, the DNR is still in denial.

Invasions of species from the southern states is getting old, altho I have high hopes we'll finally get some feral Iguana's out of the deal! Tegu's I'm on the fence about being they're so aggressive, but it'll give the groundhogs a run for their money.

Seriously however this puts a cramp in hiking without being armed.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Domestic Hogs will become wild if not kept in check.
I think i read somewhere that all Hogs were wild at some point in time.
They were domesticated in the early years.
Hogs in general are nasty they eat anything.
We raised Hogs when i was younger they would eat their young if they died at birth.
I still love me some Bacon and Ham lol
a reply to: ElGoobero

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Some dark humor, but realpolitik when considering the wild boars (and indeed increasing wilderness areas of central and western Europe):

Send more migrants!
The last bunch tasted great!

Now there's a "border" even Greta can't knock.

"I've got a receding hairline, the latest smartphone, haircut and boutique clothing and my testicles are sagging - but I'm a poor 'child' refugee"!

"Yeah right bro, tell it to the bears and the boars".
edit on 14-11-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I wonder whether there's already a split between the "urban" boars and the more "provincial" boars?

Quick let's scatter, here come the "Philistines".
Oh what a bore they can be".
edit on 14-11-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesman462002

American ferals are pretty much a mix of domestic hogs gone wild and boar brought over for hunting that got loose.

But a lot of domesticated animals have the potential to go wild if left on their own. Domestic dogs will do it, and they pretty much revert to a physical type the world over within a few generations. Feral hogs are the same. I don't think there are many animals that absolutely cannot survive without mankind. The domesticated turkey would be one. I think we've so overbred them for breast meat that they cannot breed on their own anymore.

At least there are some factory farmed types that need artificial insemination.
edit on 14-11-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 09:33 PM
link   

There is no way that boars can
swim across The Great Lakes,
Niagara river, Niagara falls, and Lake Ontario.
I do not doubt that the NRA (u.s. rifle Ass.)

has a hand in this.
We have NEVER had american
boars here in Ont. Canada, till just now !

americans illegally trailering pigs north and letting them go

Haven't americans heard of Aujeszky's disease,
pseudorabies disease?
Aujeszky's disease
As if Corona isn't bad enough

Sources
Pickering (east GTA Toronto)
They must have been illegally transported to cross Lake Ontario

americans promote the animals as a new big game hunting resource,and illegally trailering pigs north and letting them go.

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ToneDeaf

So it's completely impossible that they came across the border at other points north and walked their way east? It's not like there are contiguous waterways across between your country and mine. Such a thing was hotly searched for and led to much of the era of discovery by the early European explorers.

They didn't want America at all. They wanted an easy path to China.
edit on 14-11-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Illegal import of american guns,
now this

. . . should read the whole article in the link that was provided

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
They are an infestation here too. Hunters here can get silencers and thermal night vision if they can prove to have a infestation on their hunting grounds.

I few months ago in summer I was on a shooting range getting to try out a R8, I think from Blaser, with silencer/suppressor. The trigger group removes completely with the magazine and firing pin, in one piece, it's a single bolt action though so taking out a group of bores even with enough distance and silencer is said to be tricky. Especially in the cold with visibility impairment after the shot.

I expected a big impact in the shoulder but somehow it regulates it all away. Felt like shooting an air rifle.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
Wild pigs are fun to hunt and even better to eat as smoked pulled pork.

I'd be extremely leery of consuming the ones that are feeding in urban areas, their trash scavenging diet will make them prone to parasites.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ToneDeaf

There is no way that boars can
swim across The Great Lakes,
Niagara river, Niagara falls, and Lake Ontario.
I do not doubt that the NRA (u.s. rifle Ass.)

has a hand in this.
We have NEVER had american
boars here in Ont. Canada, till just now !

Haven't americans heard of Aujeszky's disease,
pseudorabies disease?
Aujeszky's disease
As if Corona isn't bad enough

Sources
Pickering (east GTA Toronto)
They must have been illegally transported to cross Lake Ontario

americans promote the animals as a new big game hunting resource,and illegally trailering pigs north and letting them go.

In the greatlakesecho.org article I believe they were referring to "people" transporting boars into northern Michigan. In the other link, www.durhamradionews.com, a post in the comments section stated that wild boars were introduced to Canada back in the 1980s as a food source or as game animals. I couldn't find anything claiming people from the states were bringing them into Canada.

Do you have a link to an article that has that information? Thanks.

<< 1   >>

join