It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a quilt or blanket for really harsh Winter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Prisoner60863

Unless you live in a place it is forbidden, Get LP / Propane tank and a gas heater or two.

Propane is your friend.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I bought a soft wool blanket for an elderly woman, wool will function well even when damp.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

This right here. I invested in myself with this wool duvet and it's the best thing I've ever owned for winter cold nights. www.amazon.com...=sr_1_11?keywords=wool%2Bduvet&qid=1636608479&qsid=138-0964808 -9042217&sr=8-11&sres=B008NWKJTY%2CB01C90ZYUE%2CB08N3XV23Y%2CB01N66ZAYI%2CB07MLXX4CK%2CB01DGYYA70%2CB07RC75BH6%2CB08T1RKJX3%2CB003C58KLG%2CB006XKKA6U% 2CB08N3XPNVF%2CB07TQ6QD9X%2CB0727QPZPW%2CB09C6CW5XQ%2CB09C6G7KHH%2CB0832KVY9R%2CB07DHWMGR1%2CB09F6CTPQX%2CB07Y2TX5Z9%2CB0982LZVB6&srpt=BLANKET&th=1

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   

quilt on top of comforter...
i stayed at crazy mtn ranch montana, their quilts were so heavy they PINNED
you to the bed, you could not move..
when i got back i built one with a layer of wool too,
maybe a layer of an aluminum emergency blanket in there if you dont have heat..
a bit noisy though.

wood stoves are awesome i was never cold growing up in a cinderblock house with no insulation we always had roasts cooking on it, couple candles and a car battery with cheap low power car radio hooked up .. stock up on books and cards..
in the woods power goes out alot ...

we had a brand new fireplace, but wood stove heats better, especially if you have
a cold air intake...
because especially with fireplace, heat goes up chimney, but
GOTTA SUCK IN AIR FROM SOMEWHERE,, COLD AIR, and
ALOT OF AIR gets sucked up a fireplace,,

so EVERY CRACK in windows and doors will feel like a cold breeze,
ALL THROUGH THE HOUSE ,,
so if possible open a window close to fireplace, wont get rest of house as cold from all the leaks sucking cold air,,,, you can feel just how much air comes in when your front door is almost closed.. it pushes door open about a foot THAT is alot of cold air freezing rest of your house .... the air MUST COME FROM SOMEWHERE to feed the fire
a cold air intake stops that ..

for a fireplace maybe use a flexible METAL dryer vent pipe, duck taped to window,
pointed right at bottom corner of fireplace might do it.. SEASONAL
keeps rest of house MUCH WARMER

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Army surplus sleeping bag or sleeping bag which is for cold weather. I live in Scandinavia so harsh winters are common here. Quilt would not keep enough warm and water bottle loses its heat.

Concur. But do not sleep in those with clothes on. It says it on the label. Unless of course you want to wake up soaked in sweat. I did that once in the military. Luckily I had another dry uniform.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 03:00 AM
link   
A word of caution on the down blankets, avoid at all costs if you or anyone who lives with you have ever experienced asthmatic sysmptoms or attacks.

My father damn-near killed with with down when I was younger, very scary stuff.

All the best with it, and take care,

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
Sherpa fleece blankets are comfy and very warm. If I fall asleep alone I usually wake up with wife , 2 dogs and cat trying to steal my heat

baaaaa stards

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: cappie

Yes, in cold weather in Hokkaido its the thing. Can't beat it. You stay warm, that's for sure and you can sleep without heater.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Down, and Sherpa blankets. Sherpa socks/wool

I have a fleece sherpa blanket, made by Uggs. I sleep with it every night. I even carry it with me when I travel by car.

It not only keeps me warm, but it is a life saver on the night when I get the nightsweats. It sucks away the moisture and dries in a flash.

When I lived in Minnesota, my Korean blanket was my main blanket. It is heavier than your heaviest weighted blanket, but you could sleep outside in the snow with it and sweat from the heat it holds in.

I got mine from a friend that is Hmong, and lived in the mountains in Viet Nam.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Sherpa is my favorite! I was just thinking last week that I should get one for the car for emergencies.

My cat even has one, she loves it!

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   

This should do the trick.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

They're not cheap, but one will last you a lifetime and more (i.e. generations).

Hand's down...Hudson Bay wool ("point") blanket!

We have a couple of them. You could lay in the snow with one of these and still stay warm, in fact, people used to do just that.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I do alot of sewing and quilting.

I also lived in Germany, super cold for 6 years.

If you want to make one, very simple if you have a sewing machine. Get the correct size fleece blanket (2 of them) for your bed. Go to a fabric store and buy a thick cotton (not polyester or lofty) quilt filler, cut it to the size of your blanket. Sew the quilt filler to one of the blankets. Then sew the fleece blankets right sides facing each other leaving a space of about 12" not sewn together. Turn it inside out so the right (top) side of the blankets are on the outside and the filler is on the inside. Sew the hole where you turned it together. Then lay it out flat. Pin in a square grid so that the pins are about 12" apart. Then make a quick stitch where the pins are so the 3 layers won't bunch up or move while using the blanket. You will have a super warm blanket.

If you want to buy one:
Down is great, not feathers, down, but super expensive. (the triple homemade blanket should be nearly as warm)
Also, a weighted blanket is great for keeping warm.
Use flannel sheets.
Do all three of the above and you will be toasty warm no matter how cold it is.

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The best winter blanket known to man…..

A woman in menopause!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2021 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The best winter blanket known to man…..

A woman in menopause!!!!!!

Oh, I don't know about that. When my wife was going through it she always had a very cold bum. Very disconcerting when I'm warm in bed and she wants to spoon. Aaaarrrggghhh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join