It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a quilt or blanket for really harsh Winter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I just have a question and I'm sort of ignorant on the subject. My entire life I have slept with Walmart style comforters. I moved to house in a location that has really really harsh Winters. I have no propane,oil, or gas . I have electric heat and a fireplace. I expect to lose power at some point but I know a cheap blanket will not keep me warm. I'm not sure what is warmer a quilt or a comforter.

Can anyone recommend anything to keep warm in harsh Winters with no heat? I'm looking to purchase something asap.
Any advice would be appreciated

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Down if you can get it and aren't allergic. I have a sweater knit blanket that's warm like you wouldn't believe. Anything that will trap in pockets of air that will be warmed by your body heat to form an insulated layer.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have a horde of dogs that snuggle with me half the time they kick my wimmins out of bed. I suggest horde of large doggies of the German Shepard kind

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Get on Etsy and look for 'Patch Quilt'

Don't look for new ones, look for vintage ones from before the 80's - heavier the warmer

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Prisoner60863

Down in a duvet and a hot water bottle. Buy the best down you can afford, trust me on this.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sostratus

Interesting. I was thinking about down or wool but I will look into a patch quilt

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   

If you can afford it, get a Cozee battery powered electric blanket. We have two of these, and one Amazon random one that was cheap, and it's useless and...maybe unsafe? Lol.

We live in an oooold house with barely any insulation, and power dependant heating systems,
and when the power goes out in the winter, honestly, even the wool blankets didn't always cut it. When we had kids we got these as a bit of insurance. They're great.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prisoner60863

Interesting. I was thinking about down or wool but I will look into a patch quilt

Id get a good quilt as has been mentioned, I used to sleep in a half-finished basement that got cold as all get out in the winter. Think layers a good fleece blanket with the quilt on top should be sufficient for most cold nights.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Down and Wool blankets. Layer them.

Heat some potatoes.

Keep the fireplace going.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Ketsuko and JAGstorm are right. A down filled comforter/quilt would be the first choice. If, for some reason you can’t do that, Pendleton company makes excellent heavy duty wool blankets.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prisoner60863

Down has plenty of small air pockets to trap and hold warmed air. Wool, although more dense, also acts as an insulator to also hold it in.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I live where the cold is a regular thing.

Wool is nice, but very expensive.

Comforters come in all shapes sizes textures and materials, but what I've found is that a good 100% cotton blanket will hold a lot of body heat- too much if your sleeping conditions are over 50F.
We both run on the hot side, though.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry
Another idea, if price is an issue, would be to look at a good square bottom sleeping bag that could be unzipped to make a rectangular bed cover. As one example, Sportsman’s Guide sells one that is good down to -30 F for about $160.00.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Down, and Sherpa blankets. Sherpa socks/wool

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Down, and Sherpa blankets. Sherpa socks/wool

Oh, I love my Sherpa booties!

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Second to hot water bottle, they hold heat for 12 hours.
Then you need a heated electric mattress pad, heat rising "up" from under you is way different than tossing a electric blanket over you. Thirdly two fleece blankets. One under, one over then whichever comforter or quilt.
Smart wool socks (machine washable) layered over other socks make padding around indoors comfortable.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You can get those propane heaters pretty cheap. You'll want a backup to keep the house from dropping below 50.

Goes without saying that you want to have a drip going on faucets if it's not a well to keep pipes from bursting. If that's not an option make sure to insulate your pipes (not too pricey)

As for blankets battery heated as another user suggested, down, flannel sheets, and maybe fashion some bed curtains too to keep residual heat.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Army surplus sleeping bag or sleeping bag which is for cold weather. I live in Scandinavia so harsh winters are common here. Quilt would not keep enough warm and water bottle loses its heat.

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sherpa fleece blankets are comfy and very warm. If I fall asleep alone I usually wake up with wife , 2 dogs and cat trying to steal my heat

posted on Nov, 10 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned polypropylene blankets. They are everywhere and cheap. I bought a pair of Patagonia blankets before they got cheap and they saved me while car-camping in Minnesota - my Cannondale sleeping bag was not enough...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join