It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing through the bull# by Plato

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
An amazing clip from a John Vervaeke Lecture.

John is a professor of cognitive science at the University of Toronto, who has published a 50-part lecture series on Youtube, called "Awakening from the Meaning Crisis." These quite challenging one-hour lectures attracted up to 150,000 viewers worldwide.

This is from Lecture 5 Plato and The Cave,

An amazing myth that ties in The Matrix, wellbeing and seeing through the bull#.

Very relevant to today.

Enjoy , its a GOLD NUGGET.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-11-2021 by blaenau2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: blaenau2000
This is okay for people who have already read Plato's account, but not so much for people who never have. This is the cliff-notes version and he passes over a lot of the story to extrapolate his own view of it, which is fine, but everyone should read Plato's version before listening to anyone else's idea of what it means.

BTW, you may want to change your OP title before one of the mods sees it.

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I found that short segment on the cave interesting, especially the idea of developing the capacity to recognize patterns in the world and then turning into oneself and finding how they apply to the development of the individual. The idea of stripping away the fuddled illusions giving clearer perception of the universes patterns which then allows further recognition of patterns within oneself. That circular study of reality based study without study within, without, within.

It suggests to me that enlightenment, or awakening is not a sudden happening, not an experience of a '' Eureka'' moment but rather a process, a long long process, of personal development. I think those ''Eureka, I've Found It'' moments can be harmful if they are taken as a goal line, as a finish line. They are not. They are merely tools of perception which should then be used to re-examine ones self in preparation for the next step and the next in that circular pattern of discovery.

I also think that leaving Plato's Cave is fraught with traps. The first step is of course taking the parable to heart and considering that one IS in a cave of illusion. This is not an easy thing to do. However, on ones way out, more illusions abound. Also along the way out are plenty of people who have not understood that their own emergence from the cave was merely one or two Eureka moments which in their exuberance at having ''found it'' hover around the entrance to the cave happily ready to tell the cave dwellers what they have found. As the lecturer suggests. ''Look here, look here'', listen here, the pathway out is in this direction. Wrong. The pathway out is not just a matter of opening the door to the cave but rather wending ones own way though it's long and winding corridors. It's not just a cave with an open entrance but rather a deep cave that can take a life time to navigate out of.

I kind of see it as a personal journey, quite a bit like that story from the bible, that we go though the gates of Heaven one at at time.

Anyway thanks for that video and the heads up on this Vervaeke cat. I'm going to take a look at more of what he is on about. Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Plato was a diphead. Along with George Carlin Lex Friedman and Eric Weinstein. And everyone else who gets repeatedly quoted on the internet.

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   

HI again. I just watched two short talks by him and as you suggest, he is very interesting to think with. I particularly liked this one which is about 18 minutes long.

posted on Nov, 8 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ppl4Music
Plato was a diphead. Along with George Carlin Lex Friedman and Eric Weinstein. And everyone else who gets repeatedly quoted on the internet.

It's easy to make a blanket statement. Let's hear specific reasons why you think these gents are "dipheads".
edit on 11/8/2021 by Klassified because: grammar

top topics

join