It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Classic Rock Songs Be Toppled Like Confederate Statues? "American Pie" first to go

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   
They went after the statues, flags now they are after the songs. Do they want History to be censored? it appears that way.
In an Opinion piece by NYTimes.

Should Classic Rock Songs Be Toppled Like Confederate Statues? for some reason NYTimes has a issue with Classic Rock Songs.

Should Classic Rock Songs Be Toppled Like Confederate Statues? "American Pie" first to go

A long, long time ago — I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. “American Pie,” Don McLean’s generation-defining ballad, was released on vinyl 50 years ago this October. The first time I ever heard it, I was with my sister in our kitchen. I was 13. I was eating a bowl of Alpha-Bits cereal. It came on the radio, and my sister — only a year older but centuries cooler — told me, “This is the greatest song ever.” It’s impossible for me to hear that song now without thinking of her.

For a lot of baby boomers, it’s painful to realize that some of the songs first lodged in our memories in adolescence really need a second look. And it’s hard to explain why younger versions of ourselves ever thought they were OK in the first place.

Why are Classic Rock Songs now a sudden problem?

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkEyi

If people don’t like them there’s a little thing at the end of your hand called a finger that you can change the freaking channel, or turn it off.

They mess with music it’s all out war!

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It appears that some are offended by the name of the songs "American Pie" or its lyrics you know i had heard death metal and other genre of music that has lyrics arent suitable for the youth.
edit on 7-11-2021 by HawkEyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

If people don’t like them there’s a little thing at the end of your hand called a finger that you can change the freaking channel, or turn it off.

Rock is dead and I believe they killed it on purpose, to push this rap and hip hop culture on us. Rock and roll is all about freedom and F### the system

They had to kill it. Now they have to go after all of the old songs
edit on 7-11-2021 by sciencelol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:40 AM
link   
And what of the lyrics of most rap songs? Should they be banned or just don’t listen to them?

What is so offensive about ‘American Pie’? It is a song about a plane crash and the feelings of the people when they heard the news.

When all history Is removed and finally forgotten, all the mistakes can be made over again, fresh and new.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm not paying New York Times to read that, but exactly who is trying to cancel "American Pie"?

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Not sure what you mean, I think classic rock doesn't have anything to worry about. Looking into American Pie it's because Don McLean was arrested for abusing his wife.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I'm not paying New York Times to read that, but exactly who is trying to cancel "American Pie"?

I read the article and she is not necessarily saying get rid of the song, she is saying get rid of the artists that sang the song.
The article is pure garbage.

Most artists are unsavory in one way or another. I think we can say that across the board.
edit on 7-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:49 AM
link   

For a lot of baby boomers, it’s painful to realize that some of the songs first lodged in our memories in adolescence really need a second look. And it’s hard to explain why younger versions of ourselves ever thought they were OK in the first place.

no no no no no no no.

There is a very good reason why the 'younger versions of themselves' didn't have a problem with the song, and that is because there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with the songs back then, and nothing wrong with them now.

The only problem now is with this pussyfied woke culture that wants to eliminate and manipulate anything & everything that differs from whatever it is that they like today.

Give it a couple years and they'll be taking a stand against the exact same things that they themselves are fighting for today.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sciencelol

Rock is dead and I believe they killed it on purpose, to push this rap and hip hop culture on us. Rock and roll is all about freedom and F### the system

I don’t think you’ve ever heard real Hip Hop.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I've always enjoyed this↓ clip. Especially when Dee accuses Tipper Gore of having a dirty mind. The reason she thought the song was about sadomasochism & bondage is because that's what she was looking for. Those thoughts came directly her mind, not from the song.

Dee Snider vs Tipper Gore 1984 - Senate hearing PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center)

Most songs are intended to be open for interpretation. It's up to you to interpret it in the way you choose.

Also gotta love the end result from the PMRC's pathetic attempt to control the types of music people could release. There were 2 things they accomplished.

• They helped many bands sell a lot more records, because they had that little 'Parental Advisory/Explicit Content' sticker on them.

• Also, they caused some bands to go out of their way to have some dirty lyrics because they wanted to ensure that their album would receive said sticker.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Best to respond with a song, here's mine.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
And what of the lyrics of most rap songs? Should they be banned or just don’t listen to them?

What is so offensive about ‘American Pie’? It is a song about a plane crash and the feelings of the people when they heard the news.

When all history Is removed and finally forgotten, all the mistakes can be made over again, fresh and new.

The song is about life in the 60s
The only part that references a plane crash is "the day the music died"
That was the plane crash that killed Buddy , Richie , and the "Big Bopper"

There used to be a cut that explains each line as it was sung ..
For those that weren't there in the 60s .

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Get rid of rap talking about slapping hos , selling drugs , killing cops and killing each other. You wouldn’t hear a peep out of me

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I remember that utter stupidity.

I got carded whilst buying a Def Lepard album. I remember distinctly telling the cashier, then the manager, after he butted in, that it was up to my parents to decide what I listened to, not you two. Or Tipper Gore.

Tossed the cassette onto the counter, and walked out of the store.

Got it later that day at a little store in town run by an unrepentant flower child who ignored ol' Tipper.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:52 AM
link   

You can bet some one at the NY Times knows what the song
American pie is really all about. All one has to do is follow the
lyrics keeping in mind the words PROPHETIC FUNERAL HYMN FOR
AMERICA. And don't ignore the constant religious references.

And it's as plain as the blue sky. See if you can remove the veil
that hides the truth from 99.9% of the population. Careful this
is like taking the red pill.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

No one is forcing you, or anyone else, to listen to it.

I don't. I also don't care if others do.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Which album, 'Hysteria'?

I think practically that entire album is full of various euphemisms for sex, but I don't recall there actually being anything bad in it.

Especially compared to the the Pop music of today, Def Leppard was extremely tame.

'Pour Some Sugar on Me' is nothing compared to "Wet Ass Pussy". lol

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: sciencelol

Well , it's Not Quite Dead Yet , and Neither is America............

edit on 7-11-2021 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Didn't the song writer say it was about america being in decline?
I always heard this was an anti-american song......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join