It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Did You Notice ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Watched the film last night for the first time in many years.

When the UFO's where flying above trucks or towns, the electrics below shut down. However at the finale when the UFO's arrive at the agreed location, all the electrics on the ground work perfectly.

Was that a cock up or where we not supposed to notice ?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:57 AM
link   
What if....
The electric equipment at the site was shielded ?
The operation was ran by the government .

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Maybe the aliens, knowing they were going to a sensitive area, turned off whatever the thing is that does the electro-zapp-kill switch thing.

Like dipping the main beams when you see an approaching vehicle.

Courteous little fellas.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I think every movie can be flawed if you look hard enough.
For instance, Roy was living in Muncie Indiana and drove through a toll booth heading in to Ohio.
There is no toll road in Muncie heading to Ohio or anywhere else.
Also with the size of the mother ship it would be clearly visible from a much larger area than the military cleared away.

That being said, there are some parts of movies that can pull you out of the moment.
Any movie that takes place in the time of swords and castles shouldn’t have f bombs in its dialogue.

Still this is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Just enjoy the ride.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I just remembered Jurassic Park has a bit in it when we first see the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
The ground shakes and we hear loud stomping footsteps long before it becomes visible.

Later on he silently sneaks up on someone.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In the new "Dune" they still fight with swords when they have lasers and antigrav tech.
I didn't understand what was going on never having read the book but cinematically it was a work of art. Best CGI ever!!

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I read Dune a while ago. If I recall correctly, the native people of Dune did not have access to that technology. Like they were very primitive in comparison to the people from space.

I remember the sweat suits. Because water was so sparse on the planet of Dune... they would wear these suits that would catch their sweat and then filter the body fluids so that the water was then stored in a place where the user could drink it through a straw. LOL, will never forget that.

I loved the book.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

If I was Stan Lee I would award you the coveted
Noprize!

en.m.wikipedia.org...

🥇🥇🥇

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

The personal shields can only be penatrated by a certain velocity.. if I remember the lore correctly.

Yes here it is..

dune.fandom.com...

So you need a melee weapon to bypass?

Hence the sword and dagger play.

Also the book was great , I still have a hard cover copy with an intact jacket.

I might have to go back and have a re read for nostalgia.

Frank Herbert's personal history gives alot of insight into the wellspring he drew from to create the core of this lore..

He was an interesting man .

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic
a reply to: Gothmog

If I was Stan Lee I would award you the coveted
Noprize!

en.m.wikipedia.org...

🥇🥇🥇

Respectfully,
~meathead

For "meritorious service"

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 04:41 AM
link   
It’s a movie… fitted the story and visual impact to have electrics go down for the truck, but not on Devil’s Tower. Sometimes it helps the story to add a little exposition for such inexplicables and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes they just forget or don’t know how.

We can post rationalise that the all powerful aliens simply chose to allow Devil’s Mountain to remain illuminated, perhaps having seen that the humans intended to augment their audible attempt to communicate with lights.

But it’s not in the script, so it’s left to us to make up our minds. Many of arts greatest masterpieces have details that are unfinished in order to allow the viewer do some work and fill in those gaps.

Hear’s a great example from Da Vinci… it’s arguable that this unfinished piece has all the more power from those unfinished details. The upward pointing sketched hand in particular only adds to the immaterial nature of the place, or idea that it points towards:

i.etsystatic.com...

Sorry, I don’t know how to add the actual pic iN this link (a box comes up, but I can’t tripe in it)

edit on 7-11-2021 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Consistency was sacrificed in the interests of making the final scene work.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I'm sticking with my theory that the device they use can switch on and off.

In the scene before the kid gets abducted, the machine must be in the "on" position because the kids electric toys all start working on their own. The robot toy and some cars....I think?

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Radiation hardening

Radiation hardening is the process of making electronic components and circuits resistant to damage or malfunction caused by high levels of ionizing radiation (particle radiation and high-energy electromagnetic radiation),[1] especially for environments in outer space (especially beyond the low Earth orbit), around nuclear reactors and particle accelerators, or during nuclear accidents or nuclear warfare.

We as the viewer should assume this. It's also a SciFi flick so there is that...

posted on Nov, 13 2021 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Did you notice…

When the UFO flies over Roy the n his truck (he put his head out, gets sunburned but it is on the wrong side for the rest of the movie!!), that when it flashes, that is actually “missing time”??

Never heard it before but it is what it is!!

(PS - Speilburg (sp??) went to MUFON meetings and didn’t just “dream this up” (and make “fake memories” for gullible people). It is the other way around!)

new topics

top topics

join