It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to sell comics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Through no fault of my own I have come to be in possession of about 6 boxes of meticulously packaged comics going back to the 60s or 70s. I'm not sure what I did in my previous life that necessitated this trial in my current incarnation, but it on iously annoyed somebody.

The comics industry seems to be full of questionable companies. It seems most that do purchases do their own grading and offer prices based on that. Grading isn't just a simple 1-5 type deal either.

Does anybody have experience with a national company that purchases collections? I'm willing to send a full list for review. A couple of the titles retail close to 1,000, more are in the hundreds, and a bunch are double digits. There are hundreds that are probably only worth the cover price. I will send the list of titles to interested parties here if any are interested. There is a 1:100 Stan Lee Mighty 7 #1 signed by the man himself. There's another signed item or two, Joe Hill (maybe Walking Dead?) is one name I remember. I'm willing to let things go at wholesale, which I'm just going to guess is 50-75% retail. Educate me if I'm off on that.

If I end up with a pile of sleeved but worthless comics is anybody interested in them for their collection? I'll send them to you if you're going to save them from the landfill. It appears some are from popular eras of hulk, spiderman, and wolverine, that were over-produced leaving them too common to be valuable. If you're concerned about revealing your address I'm sure we could set up some kind of blind delivery. Is that a thing? If not does anybody have suggestions? Donate to Goodwill or a children's charity? Ronald McDonald House?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Joe Hill (maybe Walking Dead?) is one name I remember.

Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Hmmm, everything is back in the boxes.

I wonder. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was created in Maine and there are a bunch of those, maybe he worked on it and that's where I saw the signature. Part of the collection was sourced in Maine.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I f you think they are worth money you're probably best off selling them at auction , there are several online but here's one for you to check out.
comics.ha.com...
Heritage Auctions are an American company that have been operating for 45 years so I guess they're doing something right.

If you have early editions check out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles prices.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I f you think they are worth money you're probably best off selling them at auction , there are several online but here's one for you to check out.
comics.ha.com...
Heritage Auctions are an American company that have been operating for 45 years so I guess they're doing something right.

If you have early editions check out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles prices.

The TMNT are from 2011, but some are listed in the 100s. It was their debut under Nickelodeon ownership.

I've been surprised by some of the prices. Some of the fairly old stuff is worthless.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:09 AM
link   

If your looking to part out to some collectors (me) id like to take a look at what you have.

Do you have any GI Joe or old Disney?
anything from Darkhorse comic?

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

If your looking to part out to some collectors (me) id like to take a look at what you have.

Do you have any GI Joe or old Disney?
anything from Darkhorse comic?

I'm pretty sure there's some Darkhorse. I think Sandman? Chew, which I'm not sure but it's weird enough for them. Walking Dead I also don't remember the publisher.

There are some nice leather bound Batman novels too.

I didn't see any Disney or GI Joe, but I haven't done a complete list.

There are some Godzilla comics from the late 70's which I found interesting, some very old man-thing (from the start of the series), and some classic movie monster type titles. There's also an incomplete run of Secret Wars I and II. Ghost rider series one is surprisingly unpopular.

If you drop me your email in PM I'll send a spreadsheet when I'm done. If you actually buy something I'll fill the box with face-value ones you want too. It may be a week before I finish the list.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:41 AM
link   

You have some fun times ahead.
Selling collectibles can be a hair pulling experience.

You are basically trying to sell something that is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.
The grading process will cost you if you use a reputable company.
A dealer wants to buy cheap so they can make money.
Auction companies charge a percentage and unless it’s a comics only auction the buyers might not be comic fans.

Selling a large collection will take years possibly.

You mentioned Stan Lee’s autograph.
That is probably worth more than the book it’s written on.
But only if you can prove it is actually his signature.

I don’t envy the process you are about to endure.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh no, you got the wrong guy.

There is an exactly equal chance of me waking up Christmas morning and seeing Santa as seeing these comics still here.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Ha…fair enough

I’m only saying that to get the maximum value it will be a long time consuming process.
Just getting rid of them is quite easy.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Don't let someone cherry pick or you'll be stuck with most of them.
What state are you in? If you're close enough I'd like to check them out.
Pm me the list when you get it done.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nedley

The list will be an Excel spreadsheet, there are hundreds and hundreds. If you PM an email address I'll forward it along.

I'm a couple hours east from Portland/Vancouver.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Good info as I have a few boxes myself that are all in sleeves. I got them at a junk auction for my kids when they were toddlers but because our house was permanently under construction I forgot about them in storage.

My brother sold his collection from childhood and I think it was more work than worth the money. Maybe an interesting process if you are into comics but as I'm not I'll take the advice here and dump mine cheap.

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I am a collector and would be interested. I can help with pricing and some places to sell as well. HMU @ [email protected] (Y)

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I've made a good amount of bank since the pandemic in selling comic books. My 1st appearance of Carnage is worth over $400 now.

First, I'd recommend that you ( and everyone who likes comics) download an app called key collector comics.

The app links to ebay with price guides depending on the comics condition PLUS the app lets you know why the comic is valuable, key events that take place in specific comics AND gives you a heads up WEEKLY on which comic books are smart buys as they are released.

The app tells you what comics have been sold to tv/movie rights. Example: Regina Kings 2nd movie as a director will be a comic called bitter root. Will Smith's production company bought the film rights to a comic called Canto. A Spawn movie is rumored to be in the works.

There's a free version and a premium version. I use the premium version so I can see the future releases and plan accordingly. It's $3 or $4 weekly and $20 yearly subscriptions.

eBay. Hipcomic.com and Key Collector.

That's all I use. Also get a CGC account if you want to preserve your comics in slabs. CGC is THE comic grading company. CBCS is good too but nerds go for those 9.8 CGCs above all.

Excelsior!
edit on 6-11-2021 by CloneFarm1000 because: Never pay more than a dollar for ratios. Ex: 1:25 = $25

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloneFarm1000
I've made a good amount of bank since the pandemic in selling comic books. My 1st appearance of Carnage is worth over $400 now.

First, I'd recommend that you ( and everyone who likes comics) download an app called key collector comics.

The app links to ebay with price guides depending on the comics condition PLUS the app lets you know why the comic is valuable, key events that take place in specific comics AND gives you a heads up WEEKLY on which comic books are smart buys as they are released.

The app tells you what comics have been sold to tv/movie rights. Example: Regina Kings 2nd movie as a director will be a comic called bitter root. Will Smith's production company bought the film rights to a comic called Canto. A Spawn movie is rumored to be in the works.

There's a free version and a premium version. I use the premium version so I can see the future releases and plan accordingly. It's $3 or $4 weekly and $20 yearly subscriptions.

eBay. Hipcomic.com and Key Collector.

That's all I use. Also get a CGC account if you want to preserve your comics in slabs. CGC is THE comic grading company. CBCS is good too but nerds go for those 9.8 CGCs above all.

Excelsior!

Interesting info. There is some Spawn in the mix.

It sounds like the real gimmick here is I should make a subscription app, then just give the comics away and wait. Subscription services are where the real money is. Sell a man a comic and you exploit him for a day, sell a man on selling comics and exploit him for a lifetime.

I'm actually not a comic fan at all. I like fiction and world building, but I find the act of collecting them absurd. They're a scam and they have been for at least 30 years. They Ken Griffey Jr rookied a bunch of titles, then after that they decided that variant covers were their road to riches which forced idiots to buy 8 of the same comic for collections sake. The whole thing is pretty sad if you think about the kind of joy those funnybooks used to provide some kids that didn't have two nickels to rub together. Greedy.

The beginning of the end for me was a Conan comic that had young Conan sporting a physique like Taylor Swift, but less masculine. Now you're just bringing me down man. That Passion of the Christ Conan just had me scratching my head.

I was only willing to break it up for people here and I'm not shipping individuals out to randos from eBay and Amazon. I did Amazon selling (not comics) for a while, but I'm done with that. It's too much hassle most of the time unless you have enough inventory to be always filling multiple orders.

originally posted by: MVIEKSES
Will do. Thanks.

It keeps getting pushed back, but soon.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Pick a youth, you must know one, family, friends, coworkers children, and give them this gift..

Pass it on..

Thats what I plan on doing with my collection..

Selling it now just seems selfish..

I have an insane collection.. Sgt fury and his howling commandos type stuff..

My grandfather scoured flea markets and would buy entire collections to pass to me.. it instilled a love of reading and seeded my youthful imagination..

The books may draw a price at auction or on eBay..

But I bet you they would be priceless to a youth..

Thats my 2 cents..

Sincerely,
~joe

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Done!

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I'll happily donate them, but I have a moral obligation to at least try to sell the higher priced items. The person that abandoned this crap and stiffed me owes a couple people money. I'm going to recover what I can, within reason. I considered the money gone the moment it left my hand so I'm not even concerned with covering my loss.

I'm sure a bunch of this will end up at Goodwill.

posted on Nov, 7 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   

If you want the most profit possible , it means , unfortunately you will have to go catalog every single book..

Just because it is a number one issue of a title does not guarantee its worth the most..

Mostly it has to do with character introductions or "first appearances" and then it comes down to the artist and down the line..

The minutia that you can deal with sorting is mind boggling..

It's a tedious hobby..

I'd be prepared to spend some time..

Perhaps in the meantime you might be inspired to read one or two....

Good luck brother

Respectfully,
~meathead

Ps.

On a side note did you ever play a shadow knight on the mmorpg Everquest?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join