It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia will ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This will only further increase the crime rate. Low level traffic stops often produce suspicious individuals engaged in varying degrees of criminal activity. The people least hurt by this are the police officers themselves. Low level traffic stops are one of the most dangerous parts of the job, chiefly from unintentional strikes by motor vehicles and back to the "unknown individuals varyingly engaged in criminal acts" part. Interrupting that can be extremely dangerous.

Almost like someone had a system that worked well in the not so distant past. That is right, Primary and secondary offenses. LEOs no longer have to be the seatbelt patrol or do vehicle inspection enforcement many do not want to do or risk their rear end every time they walk out on the highway. That leaves them more time to do other tasks, but does eliminate a good source for ferreting out random criminals engaged in crimes.

Good thing? Bad thing?

Read the story here: Link

My own thoughts is it will decrease LODDs as the result of accidents, but increase them along with threats to the public by more crimes going undetected and thus not able to be interrupted
edit on 10/30/2021 by JBurns because: Story link is oddly formatted

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:34 PM
link   
These Democrat f#kup governments are now eliminating Citizen Public Safety on purpose.

There goes the Equal Protection laws right out the window !!! 🤣🤣

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Not sure if it was policy or not in Charlotte NC, but if you had expired plates you never got pulled over unless it was by highway patrol. Otherwise you didn't see CMPD pulling random people over, in fact unless you went to the more dangerous parts of the city you never saw them.

I know the low level stuff is a revenue generator for most cities so I'll be interested in seeing just how long this lasts.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Quite frankly, I'm glad to hear this. I have been stopped several times for nothing illegal. Once was a missing license plate on the front of my vehicle which was never on my car since the day I bought it 5 years earlier. It was a new cop. Didn't even ticket me for that but instead wrote me a ticket for no registration even though he never asked for it. I was furious and began yelling at him while also digging through the glove box at the same time. He went back to his vehicle and sped off. The police station was a mile away and I beelined it there and spoke to the chief of police and showed him the ticket and my registration that I had finally found. He told me not to worry about it and explained many people were having problems with the new officer because he was making bad decisions. Needless to say, the new cop didn't last long. I consider being pulled over for such things like a burnt out license plate light, tinted windows, loud exhaust, o suspicious looking drivers etc. a form of harassment and bullying. It wastes my time, costs me money, raises my insurance rates and is flat out wrong.

It isn't my job as an upstanding citizen to make money for a town via tickets for vehicle or driving violations. It isn't my job as an upstanding citizen to be harassed because cops are looking for bad guys and want to make sure I'm not one of them. Besides, it's been proven that there is a lot of racial profiling in pulling people over for misc crap.

Plus, with fewer cops, do they really have time to pull people over for stupid crap when there are real crimes they may be needing to attend to? I find it comical that in many cities nowadays, cops don't even come out to take reports of stolen vehicles worth thousands of dollars but take the time to pull someone over for newly expired tags. Which in most locales, if you rectify the situation before your court date the ticket is negated by the Judge.

The state of Virginia had also changed their policy in this regard recently.

www.wsls.com...
edi t on 30-10-2021 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   

This can work to your advantage if ANTIFA or BLM protestors are blocking the road.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   

The new democratic party slogan should be,

A woke society, is a lawless society.
And all goods and services are free.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I'm not sure why cops even bother showing up to emergency calls. Maybe stop for a coffee on the way to certain neighborhoods.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

For some reason that made me think about about the black guys family that was part of the protests over police brutality after he got killed a few years back.
Can't remember all the details, just that one side of the family was selling T shirts with him on it, and the other side didn't like it. They started fighting over the money that was being made and then one of the family members called the cops.

Don't know why your post made me think that.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I'm not sure why cops even bother showing up to emergency calls.
Maybe stop for a coffee on the way to certain neighborhoods.

Are you suggesting the law abiding citizens in certain neighborhoods
should fend for themselves?

I find your comment disgusting.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TomCollin

There's two sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
The cops sure get a lot of negative coverage but in reality the biggest threat to a young black man is another young black man.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I tend to agree, far more than any other threat. Some black folks see it and acknowledge it, others see it and refuse to acknowledge it and blame some others.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
My only experiences with cops are
-low level random bull# (sticker expired, light burned out, etc)
- speeding in places where the limit is too low or it's 2am and doesn't matter that much

So... Yeah. Quit enforcing dumb #.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
I don't know if you have these thing in America but if you haven't, then wait, cos they will come. No need for police. Speed cameras, 24/7, over the limit by 3MPH you automatically are photographed (so you can't deny it) and a fine is automatically generated.
Then there is average speed cameras (no police needed) they register (photo) going into a zone (and the zone can be miles long with multiple cameras) and they automatically work out your average speed and if you break the limit, automatic fine.
Have a lovely day.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I forgot to say, these speed cameras are always positioned in places that can result in someone inadvertently going over the limit. like at the bottom of hills, round a slight bend after a long straight AND they are nearly always hidden, whoops I didn't mean to put that as it's not their fault the bush or tree grew up and hid their camera, but it didn't grow over the lens.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq

I'm not sure why cops even bother showing up to emergency calls.
Maybe stop for a coffee on the way to certain neighborhoods.

Are you suggesting the law abiding citizens in certain neighborhoods
should fend for themselves?

I find your comment disgusting.

Start with the college towns/college housemate roomie neighborhoods and boom, I betcha they quit bitching & shape TF up once a few rapes, robberies, beatings within inches of lives, etc go down and nobody comes by.
edit on 10/31/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

can you put into laymens terms what you mean, sorry but I am unsure what you might be infering

thanks in advance for any clarification you may offer

As to OP surely there is enough cameras in place now (well certainly in UK) to issue tickets for minor traffic violations, such as speeding, jumping red lights etc although we do have a dedicated traffic police still.

But the general police force have enough to be doing with serious crime than stopping people for brake light being out, IMO.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Cops don’t need to be tax collectors. Try being cops. If they can’t survive without writing a 40 in a 30 then o well.

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The company I currently work for bought the company I applied and got hired to work for.
When they did that, they nearly let me go... Over a speeding ticket from eight years prior.

My line of work requires little to no driving, I've been to the office three times this year.

The police aren't here to protect and serve, they're here to get paid for being an asshole.

I've had to call the police before for actual dangerous criminal activity, and also for theft in excess of $1000. Not only did they not sure up, I never even got a call back.
Meanwhile they're at every intersection waiting to write a ticket if I pull too far forward into the crosswalk.

F 'em

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
The company I currently work for bought the company I applied and got hired to work for.
When they did that, they nearly let me go... Over a speeding ticket from eight years prior.

An 8 year old speeding ticket got you in trouble.

Since they're off the driver's record after being paid, I assume you tried to let it "fall off" or something like crap on a credit report. Doesn't work like that, grow up and pay your fines, or go to court & contest.

My husband tried to do that for a speeding ticket, Imma tell you what I told him when I found out: "Are you stupid? Pay it, dumb ass."
edit on 10/31/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Also from that great city - While riding dirt bikes on city streets is illegal, Police claim they don’t go after the riders when they spot them because it’s against department policy to chase a vehicle if they’re only committing a moving violation.

Been going on there for a looong time too www.nbcphiladelphia.com... ath-raises-concerns-over-dirt-bikes/1956071/

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join