It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Symbolism Behind Squid Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Just saw this video from PJW explaining some of the symbolism behind Squid Game, but I feel like he covered the most obvious stuff and missed some of the more subtle stuff. Squid Game is an obvious rip-off of Kaiji, but I'll give it a pass because they threw in some original ideas, and I did enjoy watching Squid Game. I couldn't help but notice there is something about the actual games they play in Squid Game which seems to mirror the events we have experienced over the last 2 years.

Consider the first game they play, which is red light, green light. The crowd is forced to stop and go over and over again as people are dropping like flies all over the place. The 2nd game involves cutting shapes out of candy without breaking the candy, something most would consider to be a mundane task done to pass the time, but people are still dying. The 3rd game is tug-of-war, where two groups are pitted against each other and the losing team dies, leaving only the strongest and most tactical teams.

In between games the participants retire to a common living area where they can eat and sleep, but this time they only get one boiled egg each and some people don't get any eggs because other people take more than one for themselves. So now they are going hungry and people start turning on each, riots start breaking out and we later learn it was all part of the game. They intentionally created a scarcity of resources so people would start rioting and killing each other.

The 4th game requires them to team up in pairs, but little do they know their partner will actually be their opponent in the next game, and the loser dies. They can play any game they want in order to obtain their opponents marbles but they can't use violence. So they can play marbles or just use deception to get their opponents marbles. This game is extremely sinister because it pits people against their best friends or even their own family. One guy is forced to play against his own wife.

In the 5th game the participants have to walk on glass, but if they chose the wrong path the glass breaks and they fall to their death. They are given numbers which determine the order they must go in. So whoever goes first is taking the biggest risk, and those who go last have the largest chance of surviving thanks to the failures of those who went before them. The last game is the "Squid Game", a final showdown where two sides fight each other to the death, while the elite watch in amusement.

Not exactly sure how those last two games apply to the real world, maybe we just haven't got that far in the game yet. Maybe it's all just a coincidence but I feel like some thought was put into these games and the meaning behind them. It's hard to believe the shortages and shipping delays going on right now are not at least partially intentional. The elite are certainly trying to pit people against each other, and now they're even trying to pit us against our own friends and family members.
edit on 21/10/2021 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have not watched the game as I did not know anything about it. Thanks for the description.
After listening to this I see human depravity is still the same since the roman coliseum days; nothing has changed only new games.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think the symbolism is greed and fear, orchestrated by a powerful elite having the capacity to completely to corrupt even the most innocent.
Humanity, promised pleasure will succumb to their most base ideals, irrespective the cost or outcome
Allow yourself to be controlled by fear and greed and other humans become valueless. Become the most powerfull and you become ultimately corrupted and selfish

Didn’t see any symbolisms in the games but in the game

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

lmao bro you seriously need to consider the last games and give us a real life analogy to it, because if we're at the tug-of-war game right now with left vs right, it's only a matter of time before we're jumping across a glass bridge smh

WHAT IS THE GLASS BRIDGE AN ANALOGY FOR, A WAR TO THE BITTER END WHERE TEAMATES ATTACK TEAMATES!? HELP US PREPARE

All kidding aside, great observation.

Edit: I was rereading your post and trying to think of the last games, what if the glass bridge is like the vaccine? You said the first one to go usually "gets it". Maybe...?

Another edit: Just realized this one. Maybe the fighting scene in the sleeping quarters was an analogy for people taking up sides in the political fight between the "far right" and "far left". I mean, the food shortage and the power outages during that scene, as well as the team warfare point me to what we've been seeing as well.

But then again, they do say you can find Jesus in a pile of poop if you look hard enough. BUT, Squid Game has become a cultish favorite, so I wouldn't put it past the OP in his consideration about Squid Game.

Slightly off-topic: Tim Pool made a great point about Squid Game overall. The creator of Squid Game says it was supposed to be an ode to Capitalism, with the rich men starting Squid Game. But in the show, contrary, it looks like a communist community dwelling into chaos. Everyone is wearing the same thing, fairness is looked at admirably and unfairness will get you killed. That show was the epitome of what happens in a communist society. The players had no idea as to the truth, they just played in a game where they assumed everyone was on equal and fair footing.
edit on 21-10-2021 by JimmyNeutr0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JimmyNeutr0n

Slightly off-topic: Tim Pool made a great point about Squid Game overall. The creator of Squid Game says it was supposed to be an ode to Capitalism, with the rich men starting Squid Game.

The creator clearly tried to copy the overall vibe of Kaiji, and I wouldn't really describe Kaiji as a criticism of capitalism even though it might seem like that on the surface. It's more a criticism of human nature, Kaiji isn't supposed to be a victim of the evil capitalist system, he's a victim of his own choices. It's a criticism of human greed, the players in the game really aren't any better than the elite who are betting on them. They are literally murdering each other for money, and in Squid Game they voted to stop the game but most decided to go back anyway.

The moral of the story isn't meant to be "well capitalism put them into debt and forced them to do horrible things". No, they willingly chose to participate because they wanted to be wealthy. The prize money converts to about 38 million dollars, which isn't much for the billionaires who fund the game, especially when they all chip in. 38 mill is barely anything at all to them, maybe one nice mansion and a yacht. Yet for others, it's enough to make them consider murdering their own friends.

The thing which makes Kaiji so great is he learns to overcome his own greed and put other people before himself. He puts his intelligence and gambling experience to good use and helps others succeed in the game, which gets people to put their trust in Kaiji. He doesn't act like he's better or worse than the people behind the games because he is legitimizing the games by participating in them. He's still far from perfect, certainly not your typical main character, but he's one of my favorite anime characters.

edit on 21/10/2021 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Film Theory also uploaded an interesting analysis of Squid Game a few hours ago. If they had of chosen to work together instead of allowing greed to control their decisions, a much larger number of people could have survived. Everyone could have survived several of the games if they just applied some thought to the problem. For example in the marble game all they had to do was swap marbles with their partner and both players would survive because the rules didn't say anything about keeping their marbles, they only had to obtain their opponents marbles.

edit on 22/10/2021 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   
What the flying # is "Squid Game"? o.O

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Just saw this video from PJW explaining some of the symbolism behind Squid Game, but I feel like he covered the most obvious stuff and missed some of the more subtle stuff. Squid Game is an obvious rip-off of Kaiji, but I'll give it a pass because they threw in some original ideas, and I did enjoy watching Squid Game. I couldn't help but notice there is something about the actual games they play in Squid Game which seems to mirror the events we have experienced over the last 2 years.

Consider the first game they play, which is red light, green light. The crowd is forced to stop and go over and over again as people are dropping like flies all over the place. The 2nd game involves cutting shapes out of candy without breaking the candy, something most would consider to be a mundane task done to pass the time, but people are still dying. The 3rd game is tug-of-war, where two groups are pitted against each other and the losing team dies, leaving only the strongest and most tactical teams.

In between games the participants retire to a common living area where they can eat and sleep, but this time they only get one boiled egg each and some people don't get any eggs because other people take more than one for themselves. So now they are going hungry and people start turning on each, riots start breaking out and we later learn it was all part of the game. They intentionally created a scarcity of resources so people would start rioting and killing each other.

The 4th game requires them to team up in pairs, but little do they know their partner will actually be their opponent in the next game, and the loser dies. They can play any game they want in order to obtain their opponents marbles but they can't use violence. So they can play marbles or just use deception to get their opponents marbles. This game is extremely sinister because it pits people against their best friends or even their own family. One guy is forced to play against his own wife.

In the 5th game the participants have to walk on glass, but if they chose the wrong path the glass breaks and they fall to their death. They are given numbers which determine the order they must go in. So whoever goes first is taking the biggest risk, and those who go last have the largest chance of surviving thanks to the failures of those who went before them. The last game is the "Squid Game", a final showdown where two sides fight each other to the death, while the elite watch in amusement.

Not exactly sure how those last two games apply to the real world, maybe we just haven't got that far in the game yet. Maybe it's all just a coincidence but I feel like some thought was put into these games and the meaning behind them. It's hard to believe the shortages and shipping delays going on right now are not at least partially intentional. The elite are certainly trying to pit people against each other, and now they're even trying to pit us against our own friends and family members.

Vatican Nov. 4th.

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
I have not watched the game as I did not know anything about it. Thanks for the description.
After listening to this I see human depravity is still the same since the roman coliseum days; nothing has changed only new games.

Changing Sky's land in italy Nov. 4th.

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimmyNeutr0n

lmao bro you seriously need to consider the last games and give us a real life analogy to it, because if we're at the tug-of-war game right now with left vs right, it's only a matter of time before we're jumping across a glass bridge smh

WHAT IS THE GLASS BRIDGE AN ANALOGY FOR, A WAR TO THE BITTER END WHERE TEAMATES ATTACK TEAMATES!? HELP US PREPARE

All kidding aside, great observation.

Edit: I was rereading your post and trying to think of the last games, what if the glass bridge is like the vaccine? You said the first one to go usually "gets it". Maybe...?

Another edit: Just realized this one. Maybe the fighting scene in the sleeping quarters was an analogy for people taking up sides in the political fight between the "far right" and "far left". I mean, the food shortage and the power outages during that scene, as well as the team warfare point me to what we've been seeing as well.

But then again, they do say you can find Jesus in a pile of poop if you look hard enough. BUT, Squid Game has become a cultish favorite, so I wouldn't put it past the OP in his consideration about Squid Game.

Slightly off-topic: Tim Pool made a great point about Squid Game overall. The creator of Squid Game says it was supposed to be an ode to Capitalism, with the rich men starting Squid Game. But in the show, contrary, it looks like a communist community dwelling into chaos. Everyone is wearing the same thing, fairness is looked at admirably and unfairness will get you killed. That show was the epitome of what happens in a communist society. The players had no idea as to the truth, they just played in a game where they assumed everyone was on equal and fair footing.
All debt must be paid.

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Illuminati taking ecclesiastical commonwealth come fall. Safety off face. Nov. 4th

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The last game is like narration and media, IMO

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Glass Bridge is akin to "trying to make the right choices" based on luck, not any other skill. Well, until the end there where the saving skill didn't much matter.

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Fictional show on Netflix where people compete in "kid games" to win prize money.

I liked it a lot , the deep meaning behind it all was food for thought.

posted on Oct, 22 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Slightly off-topic: Tim Pool made a great point about Squid Game overall. The creator of Squid Game says it was supposed to be an ode to Capitalism, with the rich men starting Squid Game.

The creator clearly tried to copy the overall vibe of Kaiji, and I wouldn't really describe Kaiji as a criticism of capitalism even though it might seem like that on the surface. It's more a criticism of human nature, Kaiji isn't supposed to be a victim of the evil capitalist system, he's a victim of his own choices. It's a criticism of human greed, the players in the game really aren't any better than the elite who are betting on them. They are literally murdering each other for money, and in Squid Game they voted to stop the game but most decided to go back anyway.

The moral of the story isn't meant to be "well capitalism put them into debt and forced them to do horrible things". No, they willingly chose to participate because they wanted to be wealthy. The prize money converts to about 38 million dollars, which isn't much for the billionaires who fund the game, especially when they all chip in. 38 mill is barely anything at all to them, maybe one nice mansion and a yacht. Yet for others, it's enough to make them consider murdering their own friends.

The thing which makes Kaiji so great is he learns to overcome his own greed and put other people before himself. He puts his intelligence and gambling experience to good use and helps others succeed in the game, which gets people to put their trust in Kaiji. He doesn't act like he's better or worse than the people behind the games because he is legitimizing the games by participating in them. He's still far from perfect, certainly not your typical main character, but he's one of my favorite anime characters.

Agree'd, totally authoritarian communism haha

On another note, has anyone drawn the comparison to the masks the rich wore at the end of the show and the masks the Rothschilds wore at the "Illuminati Ball"?

d2dzp1iimffyb3.cloudfront.net...
edit on 22-10-2021 by JimmyNeutr0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel

originally posted by: Nyiah

Fictional show on Netflix where people compete in "kid games" to win prize money.

I liked it a lot , the deep meaning behind it all was food for thought.

Ah.

I'll stick with Most Extreme Elimination Challenge for "game show" entertainment. Takeshi's Castle dubbed over, or meh.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   

As I said, I think it's more of a criticism of human nature rather than any particular economic or political ideology. South Korea certainly understands the benefits of capitalism, it has provided them with immense wealth since breaking away from North Korea, and also made them one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. The living standards in SK are immensely better than in NK, but that doesn't mean capitalism is perfect either. It can lead to immense wealth inequality, but we accept that so long as the average living standard for the masses is good enough. It's very easy to assume Kaiji and Squid Game are criticizing the large wealth gaps created by capitalism, and to a certain degree they might be, but the real moral of these stories is that the people playing choose to keep playing, making them no better than those behind the games. In reality I don't think people would choose to keep playing, at least not so many people, these stories are obvious exaggerated for dramatic effect.
edit on 23/10/2021 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join