It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former U.S. president Donald Trump launches new social media platform

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
They're going to have a subscription model with curated content too.

I'm wondering how much of a water head you'd have to be to actually pay to be on a social media platform. Do any of the subscription models come with a free container of paste to eat?

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Also it's basically a fork of the Mastodon social app.
There is no copy of the GPL anywhere, changes have not been stated, source has not been disclosed, users have no access to a copy of the source code and it does not have the same license at all (AGPL3).

This whole thing is a violation of the GPL

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It won't go anywhere.

It will initially be full of trump supporters circle jerking and then wither away to a few die hards.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's like the simps paying for only fans.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
It's like the simps paying for only fans.

Well, I guess people need their specific fetishes, in this case it's a series of minimally worded stream of consciousness posts.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This is going to be put under a microscope.

It's a regulatory mess IMO. The SPAC only being a month old, the short amount of time they had to vet the target, and the company flirting with being a publisher makes this all very tricky.

But, I suppose at the end of the day it could end up being smart. Even if the deal gets blocked, they get free publicity and ideological capital.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
And this..The chairman/CEO of Digital World Acquisition Group that is merging with Trump’s new media company, is also CEO of Yunhong International, a Cayman Islands incorporated blank check company with headquarters in Wuhan, China.

Too funny.

That's just hysterical, Trump cosying up with a Chinese company. Talk about a country that oppresses free speech and suppresses it own people.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Didn't he sorta already do this, and fail pretty badly?

I think the problem with old people being pioneers in tech is they have no idea what they are doing and have no personal passion for it. A billionaire out of touch with his proposed market will lose to an impassioned Zucc every time.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Paying for access to a small audience doesn't really appeal to a majority of people. There are probably a few small corners where it works for niche reasons, some of them illegal, some less illegal.

It seems dumb to me. If what im viewing is kept from public view, it runs a risk of having illegal content that at the very least creates questions about my character.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It depends what the motive here.

If it truly is to make a social media platform, I can't imagine that gets accomplished with the business model they have.

If the motive is to profit, make a statement, or get political capital.... So far it looks good. The stock doubled at one point today, and there is a lot of chatter behind it.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Paying for access to a small audience doesn't really appeal to a majority of people.

Agreed, you'll have your zealots willing to toss money out the window but the average person isn't interested in mundane 'curated content' unless, like you pointed out, that content is somehow pushing limits of decency or legality.

People will pay for perceived 'edginess', not your daily mental vomitus.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Maybe he does

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Don't know how long this will last but Trump's SPAC is killing it today. Up over 300%. This will be a crazy stock to watch.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Oh geez! And Mastodon states they might have to sue them already?! This is quite amusing.

ETA- I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised. The man drew on a hurricane map with a Sharpie.
edit on 21-10-2021 by frogs453 because: Add

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
Oh geez! And Mastodon states they might have to sue them already?! This is quite amusing.

I'm going to sign up as @DevonNunesALLCAPScow

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Interesting choice of name for a man who could give Pinocchio a run for his money.

I'm sure his fans will love it.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

While funny you can do the same on Twitter. I assume they'll have to make "verified" accounts just like Twitter does with the check mark. There are spoof accounts all over. Pretty hilarious most of the time.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
While funny you can do the same on Twitter.

This was before the site was even open, people found the unencrypted URL to create accounts before you should have been able to create accounts.

The use of their names was just for extra comedic results.

posted on Oct, 21 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

where
can i sign up ?
edit on Thu, 21 Oct 2021 13:38:16 -0500381America/ChicagoThursday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join