It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former U.S. president Donald Trump launches new social media platform

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   
So it appears Trump is launching a social media platform to contend with the current environment.

“We live in a world where the Taliban has a huge presence on Twitter, yet your favorite American President has been silenced. This is unacceptable," Trump said in the written release.

"I am excited to send out my first TRUTH on TRUTH Social very soon. TMTG was founded with a mission to give a voice to all. I'm excited to soon begin sharing my thoughts on TRUTH Social and to fight back against Big Tech," he said.

I actually understand and sympathize with the position big tech has gotten far too big. And they always pick the regulatory area that is convenient for them on any given issue. They claim they are not a publisher absolving them from any scrutiny that is posted (fair), but they also play with the algos and even sell them to push certain agendas, even political.

There is one aspect of this I find very interesting though, and that's the company is going public via SPAC very quickly.

TRUTH Social will be created through a new company formed by a merger of the Trump Media and Technology Group and a special acquisition company, according to a press release www.tmtgcorp.com... distributed by both organizations.

All quoted material from Investing.com article.

For those unfamiliar. a SPAC (special purpose acquisition company) is an already public company with stock trading now. They are essentially a bundle of money ready to buy a portion of another company to bring them public by combining and renaming to the target. This number is usually between 10-20% of the company they are bringing public. That percentage is then pre IPO shares people can acquire right now and own part of the future company. There are plenty of steps before we get there, and it's entirely possible this deal falls through, but I wouldn't say probable. Usually definitive agreements mean they're pretty far along in negotiations.

The deal values Trump Media & Technology Group at $875 million, including debt, according to the statement. Trump Media & Technology Group's growth plans initially will be funded by DWAC's cash in trust of $293 million.

I just find it a bit odd the company has plans to go public so early. Though, this would inject quite a bit of money into the company so they can grow faster.
edit on 20-10-2021 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Didn't he launch one in 2018?

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

This just keeps getting better!

It will be fascinating to see how quick this new platform will grow.

NCSWIS!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Didn't he launch one in 2018?

People affiliated with President Trump have launched their own, but he never joined. The most recent was;

gettr.com... started this year by President Trump's former Rally Coordinator/IT Guy, Jason Miller.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I think it will have a very loyal base of users... But I don't think it will be a social media giant.

I'm just speculating here, but I'm guessing it's going to be largely political in nature. The name Truth, the reasons behind it's launch. That's a pretty niche social media focus. So only people who are really into politics and or current events will likely join, then you have to assume a portion of them disagree with the ethos of the platform and decide it's not their cup of tea.

That's not to say other social media giants haven't had vocal political communities, or the companies themselves delved into the political discussion directly... But it's a bit different when that is an overarching focus.

It also creates an interesting dynamic when it comes to appeal towards international users.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Former?

And that's all I have to say about that ...

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Hopefully it's not going to be "fair and balanced". A Trump site should get rid of left wing haters...and be proud to do it.

I hear Facebook is about to re-brand itself due to feeling guilty about something.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Anyone taking bets that they will be de-platformed, blocked, payment processers will refuse to work with them, etc.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Given the growth on alt platforms as of late I think it will be far more than just the loyal base.

I believe many people center/center left will be joining as well, the blatant lies and hypocrisies being steamed out from the “authoritative” MSM is arching up with them.

And one could guess that it will at least have the same number as his Twitter handle, which if I remember correctly was 88 million.

Fun times ahead!

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Imagine all the crying if trump bought ATS?

🤯

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Anyone taking bets that they will be de-platformed, blocked, payment processers will refuse to work with them, etc.

Im thinking it will be similar to GAB and 8 chan, there are ways to stay online. Hopefully they took the steps needed to, I believe GAB has their own servers and when 8 chan came back their servers came back on DOD servers.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Imagine all the crying if trump bought ATS?

🤯

I don't imagine most would complain if that happened.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Did anybody else notice the favicon on the browser tab for the website? I looks awfully familiar, like I've seen something like it before ...

ETA: Here's the Truth Social logo/favicon beside another currently better known one. I think it's brilliant!

Truth Media / Facebook
Trump / Fake News

:
edit on 2021 10 20 by incoserv because: ETA.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I think it would be awesome having him post here.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   

No.
The left would destroy this forum in less than a day if ClintonNewsNetwork broke that story.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No.
The left would destroy this forum in less than a day if ClintonNewsNetwork broke that story.

Those assholes are probably already here, they are probably monitoring this thread right now.

If they are, Let’s go Brandon!

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

So did ya sign up yet?

From your TMTG link:

Additionally, TMTG intends to launch a subscription video on demand service (TMTG+). TMTG+ will feature 'non-woke' entertainment programming, news, podcasts, and more. TMTG has named Scott St. John as the leader of TMTG+ Corporate Operations. Scott St. John is the Executive Producer of “Deal or No Deal’ and “America’s Got Talent” and has produced over 1,000 hours of Network and Cable TV.
No doubt this has been in the works for a long time. It sure will be interesting to see where it goes. The DWAC CEO is a MIT grad. John G. Trump was the protege of Vannevar Bush, some claim the real UFO file developer and was the head of MIT and the MIT Masonic lodge.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

No.

You never know, I ... errr ... he might be trolling around here right now...
edit on 2021 10 20 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

So did ya sign up yet?

I probably won't. I don't use social media. While I like current events, I think it will have more of a pundit feel. Not really my cup of tea, but it will be interesting to see.

Competition is good, and the way to challenge big companies.

I don't like Twitter or Facebook, so I don't use them (I admit I have a barely used Twitter account just to be able to look up certain things here or there).

But, there isn't a need for social media for me. But I don't knock people who like it. Just not for me.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 11:00 PM
link   

We live in a world where the Taliban has a huge presence on Twitter, yet your favorite American President has been silenced.

JFK rolling in his grave right now.

If this is basically just a campaign financing machine then f*** that noise because this was supposed to be about protecting American free speech in social media, not furthering his career.

edit on 20-10-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join