It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missed the deadline to LF2021 but here’s what I have so far.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Carl was sitting on a bench looking up at the extra tall three story building of the Whaling Museum just across the cobbled street of Johnny Cake Hill. Behind him sat The Seamen’s Bethel and next door to that old sailors church sits The Mariner’s Home. A well known Seafood Shanty is also behind Carl, but to the right and down the hill, just there on the corner from which came the wonderfully heavy scent of
Fish n Chips being deep fried. Is that Beef Tallow he smells? OMG, that smells so good!

New Bedford and The Seamen’s Bethel were front and center in the beginning of Herman Melville’s book Moby Dick written in 1851. Once the age of whale was over the city and church finally became famous again as people started to flock to New Bedford after Gregory Peck had come to town 104 years later in 1956 to make the hit movie MOBY DICK which was taken from the pages of Melville’s book.
Initially the book Moby Dick had some minor success but it became a failure rather quickly and was out of print by the time of Melville’s death.
The phrase “Call me Ishmael” would not itself become famous until the 20th century.

Carl had managed to spend an hour or so looking at the antiques and memorabilia on display from the by-gone age of Whaling that lays within the museum.
A tremendous skeleton of a Hump Back Baleen Whale hangs on display in the foyer and it still drips oil from it’s massive jawbone onto the floor which gives the huge room an unfamiliar, dank and pungent smell that many first time visitors pinch their nose against and hurry off to other parts of the museum.
From the foyer Carl rather hurriedly moved through the rest of the museum glancing at this or that because he wanted to stick his head in the Seamen’s Bethel before he had to meet his contact.
Still gazing up at the museum he noticed the The Widow’s Walk, a cupola atop the roof where wives would pace for hours on end while scanning the horizon watching for their men to safely return home from a trip at sea. Carl wondered if he would ever be allowed up there to gaze over New Bedford’s waterfront. Continuing to daydream Carl tried to imagine the ocean crossing trips that had lasted as long as four years during the last decades of the doomed whaling industry along with the many vessels of all types that were lost with their entire crews during the waning Age Of Whale.

Lost in thought Carl jumped when someone in a deep and husky voice yelled, you must be Cahl.
Their it was, his name pronounced without the letter R.
Neither a State a Mainer nor a Swamp Yankee uses the R when talking, except maybe for the word Idea. They all pronounce it Idear. The term Swamp Yankee is a derogatory one which is proudly accepted by the locals. This term got it’s start from others who looked down upon the Yankee’s who lived here nearly surrounded by the Cranberry Bogs in this, the swampiest corner of Sou’east New England.

Carl turned to see a rugged heavy set man of maybe fifty wearing black boots, torn jeans and t-shirt under a quilted button down flannel, all topped off with a blue and white pin striped hat that you’d more expect to see atop a train engineers head.
This intimidating man extended his hand to Carl with a dark eyed, wide but serious grin.

Billy told me to look for a square head up on Johnny Cake Hill at twelve and your the only one in spitting distance up here.

Square Head, asks Carl?

Yeah, it’s what we call Norwegian’s here about’s, I’m Arnie the Captain I’m a Norwegian too.

They shook hands and Carl felt like his hand was just lost in the vise like paw of a Grizzly.
Arnie was obviously a powerhouse and Carl had just received his first of many lessons about Fishermen.
The lessons to follow will make Carls head spin.

Arnie asked, that all your gear? Seems a bit light, grab it and let’s go.

Arnie then walked off leaving Carl standing there a bit bewidered.
The Captain had made no offer to help him with his stuff. Shaking his head Carl grabs his bags and trots after Arnie down the hill towards Pier3.

Carl asks, So Arnie, what has Billy told you about all this?
As Arnie begins to speak, Carl can just make out the sea of masts over and beyond the Fishermen’s Union Hall further down the street.
Arnie stops and rubs his eyes.
Welp, Billyboy told me you are writing a story for some big Washington paper and I’m to take you to George’s with us and show you what Scallopin’s all about.
Arnie continues talking as they once again begin their walk down the uneven cobblestone street, you can find a rack down in the Foc’sle with the boys, I use the other rack behind the wheelhouse where I bunk for all my gear.
The chief’s name is Ron and he sleeps behind the engine back aft in the Fiddley and he’s gonna be the one to look after you.
Suddenly Arnie stopped again, he whirled around and glared into Carls eyes. With a growl he says to Carl, stay the hell away from Paul and the wheelhouse when he’s on watch! Paul is the Mate and is not one to make enemies with. He’s a good man from down Bah Habah way but he’s real superstitious and he don’t much trust strangers so leave him be. You got any questions you bring em to me or the chief or talk to the boys. The cookie Johnny is ok and friendly enough but I’m warnin ya now, leave the Mate be!

With a bit of a nervous lump growing in his throat it’s now perfectly clear to Carl that Arnie is not very happy with this arrangement but as they round the union hall Carls attention was instantly hi-jacked by all the hustle and bustle that’s happening on Pier3. There were trucks everywhere, men loading things on and off boats, one man is yelling from the top of a mast to turn the running lights on.
On another boat it looks like the men aboard it are swinging baskets full of fish from an overhead boom to a box truck where two guys grab and steer the heavy basket as it lowers to an old beam style scale. Carl hears 126 yelled out from the truck and someone on the boats yells back 126 aye. Everywhere Carl looked it seemed like pure pandemonium. Nearing a BIG wooden boat Carl see’s the boats hull is painted a dark forest green with black trim and the wheelhouse which sat at the back of the boat is painted a brilliant white as is the masts and rigging.
There are two masts, the main mast is just behind the bows where a hatchway seems to lead down into the boat. The other, shorter mast is just in front of the wheel house and there is a thin wire stretching between them from their very tips. The boats massive hydraulic winch which hauls the Scallop Drags back from the bottom also sits just in front of the wheelhouse. Looking at the stern Carl sees a name painted white over the green hull in large block letters, SEA TREK, NEW BEDFORD. Carl also sees a tractor trailer parked next to the boat that was full of huge blocks of ice that were being slid down a shoot to a grinder which was chewing up those ice blocks then blowing the ice into an 8 inch hose which disappeared down into the boat. Carl could also see a small Tug and Barge tied up along and outside the boat. To Carl it all sounded like a jet engine at full power being this close to all the goings on.

Continued…

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: fat fingers

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: fat fingers

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The Captain see’s the look on Carl’s face so he gets in close and yells, that’s the fuel barge and we’re icing the hold, we’re taking 16,000 gallons of #2 oil and 90 tons of crushed ice. Tommie put 15,000 gallons of fresh water in her yesterday.

When they got along side the boat Carl dropped his bags and looks around. There is so much going on it is overwhelming his ability to digest what he is seeing. Never before has he seen anything remotely similar to this, any time nor any where. As Carl gazes down on the work deck he noticed the men that are working on the Scallop Drags glance at him now and then but no one is really paying him any mind. Carl hears the ice grinder start to wind down and with a grin now coming to his face he thinks, at least I’ll be able to hear my own thoughts now.
Carl then focused on the two wishbone shaped steel monstrosity’s hanging one on each side of the boat that the deck crews are working on. They look dangerous enough while the boat just calmly sits tied to the dock, what’s it going to be like when the boat starts moving and rolling and these things start swinging about as they get hauled on and off the boat? Carl has no idea how much each of the two Scallop Drags weigh but he is sure their weight is measured in tons and how about when they are full of the rocks he’s heard tell about? Shaking his head over all this Carl feels a shiver run through him as he thinks, these things can hold A LOT of rocks!

Suddenly a guy appears out of nowhere directly below Carl all covered from head to toe in not only oil and grease but it’s anyones guess as too what other kinds of filth cover him as well. He smiles up at Carl and turning his head he yells out, hey Skipper, the shore engineer didn’t leave me any raycors or filters for the main, I gotta run to the Co-Op, I need rags too. Ray yells back, make it quick and he taps the head of a deck hand who is bent over near him wrench in hand working on some part of the Drag that hangs just inside the Starboard rail and then points to another man.

Go with the chief Arnie barks, he needs filters.

Without a word the guy tosses the wrench on a hatch cover and the two guys climbs off the boat like monkeys off a jungle gym. In two leaps the dirty guy that had smiled up at Carl was standing a foot away from him. Sticking out his hand he says, Hi, I’m Ron the engineer, I’m the lucky one who’ll be trying to keep you from getting yourself killed this trip. With a big smile and a teasing kind of twinkle in his eye he turns and trots off up the dock with the two guys sent to help him in tow.
Lost in a kind of day dream Carl gets yanked back to Earth for a moment when Arnie hollers up at him, Get your gear down forward while pointing to that hatchway just in front of the mast. Cookie will get you squared away with a rack, he’s down below storing the grub and fixing up a meal. Make ready your bunk and when your gear is stowed come back aft, meet me up in the wheelhouse.
Carl doesn’t react right away because now he’s thinking again.
What am I doing here? I feel like I’m getting ready to leave the planet.
I’m leaving to go to one of the most dangerous places on earth for 10-12 days with 11 maniacs who can barely speak english. What am I doing???
Carl was trying to decide right then and there wether he really wanted to go through with this mission his editor had sent him on.
Arnie, a seasoned Skipper must have seen it on Carl’s face because he didn’t say another word. Carl had to work this out for himself. This was something that is seen playing out alongside fishing boats that are ready to sail all the time.
Carl was snapped out of his dream state as Ron came back with his supplies.
When Ron asked Carl, you coming or what it must have burst his bubble of doubt because he yelled out Hell Yeah! Ron jumped to the deck and told Carl to pass down his bags and the boxes.
When it was all on deck the engineer tells Carl, I’ll check with you in a bit, I got stuff to do so go forward and find Johnny, I talked with him about you, Johnny’s cool he’ll steer you right! He’s a hell of a cook, hope you like breakfast! With that the Chief disappeared into the beating heart of this fishing machine.

Grabbing his bags Carl stumbled his way forward around the aft hatch and across the deck trying to avoid bumping into the men doing their work. Not a single one even glanced at him until he set a bag on the forward hatch and came face to face with the First Mate, Paul.
Paul had been in the galley with the cook and when he popped up on deck with a scowl and that shiny bald head Carl’s heart froze. Without a word Paul went around the other side of the hatch and disappeared back aft. Phew, leave the Mate be, no problem there Skipper!
Looking down the hatch into the Foc’sle from the bright daytime deck was like looking into a black bottomless pit. Carl was very happy when a smiling face appeared at the bottom, it was Johnny the
cook.

Johnny said welcome aboard, hand me down your gear, I got a rack all set up for you.

It was only after Carl had climbed down the ladder that he realized just how much his heart was pounding. Carl was amazed how much fit into this little triangular space. There were 10 bunks that lined the sides of the V shaped bow. Between them was a triangle table that had folding edges that could be lowered and the benches running along the bottom of the lower bunks doubled as storage. Behind and to the left and right of the ladder was the galley itself. To the right facing forward was a very large flat top grill and oven where all cooking got done. It smelled like home heating oil down there. The galley stove also supplied all the heat for the Foc’sle during the cold Winter months. Directly behind the ladder was a large double sink with a long counter on each side and there was a rather small refer/freezer buried in the corner of the wall off to the left at the end of the counter There was a full length mirror on the side wall near the refer/freezer and also a single tiny sink with mirror where guys washed and shaved. Next to the sink was a small bench that Carl was to discover belonged to the cook and the cook alone.

Johnny pointed Carl’s rack out to him and he tossed his bags in. Looking around he asked the cook, where’s the head and shower?

What? Head and shower roared Johnny! He was laughing so hard he could barely catch a breath.
There’s no head on this old boat but we got a crapper back aft that’s constantly flushing with hot water to keep your hairy ass warm in the Winter and in heavy weather it’s also a great pressure washing bidet too.
If you want a shower you got the raw water hose on deck and I’ll be selling tickets to that show for sure. Pointing to the tiny sink he then cried out, that’s were you can do your face in the morning if you want. Carl was aghast. This ain’t no cruise my friend the Cook roared between breathes as he tried not to choke or piss himself.

Continued…

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
After a whole lot more laughter shouting and confusion between them Carl finally got his rack squared away with a bit more teasing advice from Johnny and it was then he remembered Arnie’s words, come to the wheelhouse. As Carl moved towards the ladder he heard a loud roar and then a deep rumble passed under his feet and with his eyes bugging out and being half panicked he looked at Johnny and cried, what the hell was that? Seeing the look on Carls face Johnny was again laughing so hard he could barely speak. Ron fired up the main, was all he could get out and with a grumble Carl left Johnny in his galley to laugh and choke with the tears streaming down his face as long as he needed.
Reaching the work-deck Carl saw the gang had cleaned up much of the mess but the drags were still hanging there so Carl quickly crossed the deck and climbed the Starboard ladder to the wheelhouse. Arnie was hanging out the window so Carl just stayed on the top rung to chat with the Skipper. Arnie asked him if he was settled and if he got seasick. I don’t know answered Carl, I’ve never been on so big a boat before and I’ve never been on the open sea. Arnie chuckled as he pulled his head back in the wheelhouse to check his charts and Carl heard these words from inside, “You’ll be pukin” followed by a sinister little laugh. Carl wondered how much he’d be laughed at over the coming days, he’s certainly gotten off to a good start already.
Oh well he thought, it’s better than making people cry. Carl wondered if he’d be the one doing all the crying.

Carl wandered around looking here and there discovering things he’d never seen before, things he could not begin to fathom, neither what they were nor how they worked. He was intrigued with where they shucked the Scallops, it seemed simple enough as he looked over the long boxes that held all those Clams. Cutting the meat out of the Scallop and tossing the shells and guts out the windows that sat in front of the box seemed simple enough.
Carl was wrong, it was not so simple, not so simple at all.
Just then Ron the Engineer came around the corner, everyone called him “Chief”. Carl had learned that only top shelf engineers were given the name of Chief, a name of respect. Just as a well liked Captain was respectfully called “Skipper”. No matter what job you held on one of these boats it’s also a huge honor to these men to be referred to as “Finest Kind”. All these men strive be one of “The Finest Kind of Fisherman”. No matter where Carl looked everything was not only foreign to him but also confusing as hell. Carl had not once, not for one second ever dreamed he’d be learning a new language during this trip yet hell he’d already begun learning it, “Swamp Yankee Boat Speak”.

Ron gave Carl a nudge, wanna see the engine room? The Chief led Carl down a half ladder to what is know as the Fiddley, the space behind the Engine Room. There were two bunk beds on each side and one was made up for sleeping, the other three were crammed with so much gear it spilled onto the deck. Boxes where everywhere, spare everything it seemed to Carl and he was right about that.
Carl thought to himself, the Chief sleeps here? It’s so LOUD and HOT, how can he do it? Carl will soon enough learn that when a man is truly bone weary tired he can sleep anywhere, anytime, under most conditions. The Chief told Carl it’s usually day two or three of the trip before he can really truly sleep.

Carl once again shook his head, what am I doing here? FFS… Ron handed Carl some muffs and they swung down into the Engine Room proper. Carl was surprised at how big the engine was, it looked to be bigger than an F-450 CrewCab with an eight foot bed and cap lying on it’s side. The Chief began to explain that the Main Engine was a V16 399D Caterpillar engine with 1,100 shaft horsepower and it had no problem guzzling 1,000 to 1,300 gallons of 2-oil per day.
Alongside the main were two V8 60 KW Caterpillar generators and on one side in a kind of cubby was a bunch of the largest batteries that Carl had ever seen and there were pipes, valves, gauges, panel boards and wiring everywhere. Carl could also see through the floor gratings down into the bilge that lay around and under the huge main engine, to him it looked like a deep oily black swamp. Ron told him it’s a pretty typical engine room aboard a big trawler. Carl just nodded and looked around for a minute or two, it was way too loud and hot so he motioned for Ron to lead the way up and out.
Once out of the engine room Carl noticed the crapper right on the stern of the boat and it had water constantly running in it. He asked the Chief if it was just a pipe straight to the sea and Ron told him yes and that the flushing water was taken from the overboard cooling water of the main engine. The Chief then said he wanted a coffee so he left Carl to once again climb the ladder to the wheelhouse.

Arnie yelled out to Ron as he crossed the deck towards the galley, we all set Chief?

Without turning the engineer just waved a thumbs up and continued on his way, Arnie then banged hard on the side of the wheelhouse and seven faces turned to look up. The faces of men who Carl had yet to learn the names of.

What’s left with the gear Arnie yelled down.

After a minute of chat between them a guy who Carl later learned was named Dave and who was also the Chiefs Dory Mate on deck yelled back, some shackles and the twine tops. Carl had no idea what was just said.

Arnie bellowed the words, “Throw The Lines, Let’s Go Fishin” finish up the gear steaming across the bay.

Arnie blew a single blast on the air horn and the other men in the galley piled up on deck. Looking around Carl noticed the Mate was nowhere to be seen. He’d only seen Paul the one time.
One of the men yelled out, hey Cap I still need gloves, I gotta run to Ships Supply which Carl could just see across the street when looking over the rear of the cutting box. Cap thought Carl?
Arnie absolutely lost his mind at this and went full on rage, screaming and yelling, he called the poor guy every foul name Carl knew. You wait till now you piece of #? # you and your gloves, I said throw the # lines! Arnie turned his back to the deck and started banging things around in the wheelhouse and seven men quickly flipped fingers up in his direction. Carl was frozen again, what the hell was that, am I missing my last chance to bail on this crazy trip?

Carl then saw the Chief coming quickly aft towards the wheelhouse on the Port side so he dove below into the cutting box, something told him what was going to happen in the wheelhouse was none of his business. After a minute Carl could hear Arnie swearing at the top of his lungs again but after a bit of loud back and forth between him and the Chief Arnie stuck his head out of the window again and bellowed go get your # gloves and make it fast. The poor guy jumped off the boat and ran like a deer up the pier, in less than 10 minutes he was back aboard huffing and puffing box of gloves in hand.

What the hell was the big deal all about, the guy was gone maybe 10 minutes why had Arnie flipped out like that? Carl was absolutely shocked, he had no idea what exactly was said up there but evidentially the Chief held some sort of power over the Skipper.

Continued…

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Carl will later learn that the Engineer does hold power, a lot of power too. This is not the US Navy or Coast Gaurd and in some cases the Chief Engineer can absolutely overrule the Captain on a Commercial Fishing Boat and dictate what happens next!
Now Carl was just standing there letting his last chance to jump ship slide right on by and later during the long train ride home Carl would wonder if things would have still happened the way they did if he’d just gotten off the damn boat.

As the captain wound up the main and swung the bow of the 118 foot Scalloper SEA TREK into the channel he gave the air horn three longs blasts letting everyone within ear shot know a boat was underway, outbound for George’s Bank and the open Sea. As the SEA TREK passed through the Hurricane Barrier Carl got a whiff of cooking food on the wind that blew aft from the bow. Arnie was now completely focused on the wheelhouse with the boats electronics and navigation so Carl went forward to stand on the after hatch and watch the shoreline go by. The Captain had told him they were going to start fishing 200 miles Nor’east or a 20-26 hour steam from New Bedford depending on the tides, Arnie would know better after he checked his Eldridge Tide & Pilot Book.

Carl had learned some things about this part of Coastal Massachusetts while getting ready for this mission his boss sent him on. Just off the port side was the Towne of Fairhaven and it’s Fort Phoenix from the Revolutionary War sat just outside the dike. The British had attacked and burned both NewBedford and Fairhaven at the beginning of the war, a fact that surprised Carl because he had never heard of this until recently. Somehow this sacking and burning seems to have been left out of the bigger stories in the telling of the revolution. The Butlers Flat Lighthouse was quickly coming up now and Carl could see the Davy’s Locker restaurant he’d heard about off the starboard rail over on the far shore and he really wanted to try the food there before he left for Washington at trips end.

Carl was once again deep in thought over all he had already learned and witnessed and was startled when someone yelled out at the top of his lungs, So, you wanna be a Scalloper huh? You’ll be pukin! Geez, that’s the second time today Carl’s been told he’ll be puking. Carl turns to see the Chief standing near the Foc’sle hatch or Doghouse and can’t believe what he’s seeing, when and how did the Chief manage to get all cleaned up? With a big smile on his face the Chief yells out, Cookie has a bunch of T-bones going and he made a big potato and cheese casserole, man o man I’m starving, I’m off watch now so let’s go up on the WhaleBack until Johnny calls us down. As Carl jumped off the hatch cover a thought passed through his mind, I better get used to magic tricks out here and just what the hell is a WhaleBack anyway?
Ron can see the question on his face so the Chief points to the top deck of the bow, that’s the WhaleBack, it’s over the gear locker which is over the Foc’sle and galley. Carl just shakes his head and follows the Chief up the short 6 foot ladder. They both sit with their backs against what looks like a giant angled letter V on the deck. The Chief explains it’s a Wave Break, it cuts the bottom out of blue water waves coming over the bow so they collapse before reaching the lower deck. For a minute Carl is lost in thought as he tries to visualize what the Chief has just described. Any chance we’ll see bad weather Chief? Ron raises one eyebrow as he looks away, you never know Carl, you never know.

Carl took a deep breath and says, can I ask you a question Chief?

With a sigh Ron nods his head yes, he knows what’s coming so he breaks the ice, you want to know what happened with the gloves.

Carl said, actually no, that’s not it not yet. I only saw Paul the Mate once all day today, what’s up with that?

The Chief scratches his head roughly with both hands and softly says, the Mate’s a drunk Carl, a really bad drunk. I found him passed out in the port cutting box early morning and when Arnie showed up a bit later we cleaned him up and put him in a bunk down forward.

Carl said, that’s where I saw Paul, coming up from the Foc’sle, I almost bumped into him.

The Chief let out a short laugh, good thing you didn’t he went straight to the wheelhouse right? The Mate’s been sleeping up there all day. The Skipper keeps a bottle locked up near his rack and doles out shots to him so he doesn’t go through hard withdrawals the first couple, few days out.

Carl is smart enough to know this is something he’d be better off not be writing about if he ever wants to come back to New Bedford so he doesn’t reply and instead says, but Arnie told me he keeps his gear in the other bunk and for me to find one down with the boys.

The Chief was beginning to squirm a bit now and he’s glad Carl just let the drinking thing go and says, yeah well there’s a strange thing between the two of them, some say Paul is the Skippers bastard boy but you didn’t hear any of this from me though.

Carl asks, then why tell me all this if that bothers you?

Look Carl, someone’s gonna fill you in eventually and rather than you hearing stuff from some of these guys who love to sling BS and cause trouble it’s better you hear the truth from me. Listen, I don’t care what you know or what you write, nothing I tell you out here will be any secret the whole waterfront knows everything or they think they do anyway and all I ask is that you don’t quote me with any of this when writing your story, OK?

You have my word Chief and you can take my word to the bank, I’d not last long as a writer in Washington if I gave up my sources. With a big smile Carl sticks out his hand to Ron and says, Deal. The Chief is greatly relieved and grabs Carls hand to give it a good solid shake.

Just then Carl gets a fright when he sees the boat is very close to land over his left shoulder. Where the heck are we Ron?

The Chief is smiling hard and shaking his head at the look of terror on Carls face so he calmly explains, We are running through Quicks Hole, this is the southern most pass that a boat as big as this can get in or out of Buzzards Bay through. The other two passes are the one between Cuttyhunk and Gooseberry Islands off to the West and other is the Cape Cod Canal off to the East. Once we get through Quicks we’ll turn to Port and run up Vineyard Sound for a couple of hours to Woods Hole. It’s getting dark now so if you look over the bow you’ll see Gay Head Light on Martha’s Vineyard. Carl stands to look around and Ron also points towards Woods Hole and continues to explain, If you look up The Sound there you’ll see another Light atop West Chop on the Vineyard as well, once we make that light we’ll turn East and it’s a straight run across Nantucket Sound and over the Great Round Shoal to the Fairway Buoy where we’ll turn and steam Nor’east towards Nova Scotia over open water for another 12-15 hours to where we’ll start fishing just up a fair bit beyond Brownes Bank.

Continued…

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The Chief sits back down and says, look here Carl there’s really no point in me giving you all the nitty gritty goings on here but you need to understand this, the Skipper can be a big-time ass so it’s wise not to cross him and when Paul dries out in a few days he’ll come around. For the mean time just steer clear of the two of them best you can and you’ll be fine. Don’t push the gang either but be willing to help out and they’ll open up to you quick enough, you can’t rush this stuff so don’t piss them off with non-stop questions and lip wagging, you’ll learn as time goes by. Everyone will be keeping an eye on you and they will absolutely tell you when there’s something you need to know but for now just let things run their natural coarse, by trips end you’ll be an Old Salt.

The Chief turns to gauze up Vineyard Sound again and when he turns back to Carl he says, I know you have a million questions but right now we gotta set some ground rules. Carl can see the Engineer is suddenly all business so he buttons his lip and just listens. The Chief gets up and says come on over here as he walks to the edge of the WhaleBack. In a deep and serious voice Ron begins, I gotta try keepin you alive out here so listen up and I mean listen well! Pointing to the lower deck he says, you see the areas there this side of the mast to either side of the Doghouse? When the boys are handling the gear those are “THE ONLY PLACES” you can be on deck. I don’t care what you see or what you think you see, I don’t care if someone’s hurt or overboard, you stay up here out of the way where it’s mostly safe unless you are told otherwise! If someone, anyone tells you to get off deck just do it, no hesitation, no questions, just get your Landsman’s ass below into the Foc’sle, understand? Still looking fiercely into Carls eyes the Chief says it again, do you understand?
This has caught Carl a bit off guard and he just stands there looking back into the eyes of the all too serious Chief. Carl I need an answer barks the Chief, Do You Understand? Unprepared for this serious conversation, Carl who’s now a bit shaken answers, I understand. Good Ron says, then also know this as well, if you break either of these rules the Skipper may very well condemn you to your rack for the rest of the trip. Do not take my words lightly Carl I want you to have a great time out here with us but more importantly we want to bring you back alive and whole and if that means tying you in your rack to get it done we won’t hesitate, not for one second and trust me when I tell you that you don’t want to be handled like that by us Carl, it won’t be fun! Carl can do nothing now but just stand there stunned and speechless.

The Chief grabbed a thick support cable from the mast and with a wink and big smile swung down to the work-deck and turning his face up to Carl says, I gotta check the engine, think hard about what I just told you, I’ll be back in a few minutes.
Carl has just been rocked to the core, never in his life has anyone spoken to him in such a matter of fact, demanding and frightful tone, WOW! He was so lost in thought as he stared out at the Gay Head Lighthouse which was now rapidly falling astern of them that he barely noticed as the guys finished up their gear-work and dropped the drags on deck then quietly piled their way down into the Foc’sle. Poor Carl nearly jumped out of his boots when the cook wearing a face like a kid that’s having way too much fun scaring the cat started vigorously ringing a big hand held bell to let everyone know the galley was open for business. The Chief then came strolling out of the cutting box as the cook ran across deck and shot up into the wheelhouse with his bell and a second later Arnie stepped out yelling, let’s eat. Carl just stood there as Arnie and Ron disappeared below him and after a couple of minutes he climbed down from the WhaleBack and followed the two crusty fishermen down the ladder to the galley.

Man was it loud down there. Nine men were crammed in at the galley table and Carl could not believe all the food that had been laid out by the cook and boy it sure smelled good! There were two two inch thick T-bone steaks for each man and a 2 foot by 3 foot eight inch deep pan nearly full of a potato and cheese casserole. There were breads, rolls, a great big salad with at least a dozen kinds of salad dressing, a huge platter of deviled eggs and cut up garden tomatoes, three dozen steaming corn on the cob, blueberry and apple muffins, a deep pan of hot Italian sausage and peppers.
A creepy looking 6ft long coil of a dried Portuguese sausage called Linguica that had to weigh at least 50lbs hung sideways on a thick line over the foot of table as well. On a counter near the sink were two cakes, three pies, some bowls and what looked like toppings for Ice Cream Sundays along with a huge electric pot of coffee.
Carl just couldn’t believe his eyes! He was not going to starve this trip that’s for sure. It seems the rumors of how these guys eat out here are true. Arnie was busy building a large platter and when finished he ran up the ladder with it.
The Chief saw the question on Carls face and simply said, Skipper eats in the wheelhouse with the Mate. Carl sat down and dug into a steak while slipping once again into deep thought. Shortly after the Captain left Johnny came jumping down the ladder and took a seat at his bench near the small sink and began laughing and joking around with the crew as he watched them eat. Every time someone grabbed more food the cook had a grin from ear to ear. Johnny always laid out a big feast for the boys during the steam out to George’s. Carl had never seen anything like this, the amount of food these guys were stuffing down their throats and how fast they did it was sure something to watch. He thought he’d be a blimp in no time if he ate like them. Carl had so, so much to learn.

As guys finished eating a few just sat talking and smoking, two guys started playing cribbage and others turned in to their racks or went up on deck and the cook began the big clean up. Carl watched Buster climb in his bunk and turn on a small light over his pillow and when he pulled a white sheet he had suspended over a line tied across the top of his bunk that gave him privacy the Chief started laughing and yelled out, damn Davie! Already? Dave hollered back, oh you can # right off now, go change a damn filter or maybe just pump something the # out grease monkey.
Carl has no idea what just happened so he gave Ron a look. Laughing out loud the Chief tells Carl, we call those “Jerk Curtains”. Carl bit his lip as he quickly looked away because he could feel his face turning red. Fishermen he thought, WOW!

Continued…

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: .

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Still giggling the Chief got up and grabbed a couple of cans of Sprite out a chill bucket in the corner and motioned for Carl to follow him. As Carl rose he heard Dave call out, Hey Carl, do yourself a favor and take anything Ron tells you out here as gospel. Hearing nothing further he turned and followed after the Chief up to the deck. Stepping out from behind the mast he saw Ron leaning against the port rail just below the WhaleBack and noticed how dark the deck and Sea was with the Sea Trek running under only her Navigation Lights. Looking up at the night sky he was amazed at how many stars he could see. The Chief handed a small bottle of Dramamine and a can of soda to Carl and told him to take two of the pills. These will help you in case you feel a bit green once we get out on open water and the boat starts moving around. Right now you should turn in and get some sleep because we’ll be outside the Sound in 6-7 hours and I really need some sleep myself. If you start feeling lousy Carl get out on deck and watch the horizon, eat Saltines and drink Ginger Ale or Sprite. The salt is good for your stomach and the soda gives you something to burp up and oh yeah, get out of your head, the worst thing you can do is dwell on how your feeling and don’t read or smoke. Ron was again hearing Daves words, take what Ron tells you out here as gospel.

They chatted about this and that for a few minutes until the Chief finally says, I gotta do a once around the engine room and turn in, I have wheel watch in a few hours and I’m beat, please try to to keep yourself on the boat ok, I’ll catch ya later. With that Ron ran across the top of the Drag heading aft and disappeared into the dark stern of The Sea Trek.

Carl felt a bump and opened his eyes, he heard things clinking and banging around in the galley and realized they must be on the open ocean now. Laying there for a couple of minutes Carl took stock of how he felt and thought, so far so good. Johnny saw he was awake and put a steaming mug of coffee on the galley table, stay away from the cream and just use evaporated milk in your coffee and get some carbs in your stomach before you go on deck, there’s some hot muffins near the stove, NO BUTTER!

What else could Carl say except, thanks Johnny.

The Cook kept talking, there’s a few more things you should know before you leave the galley. Don’t ever piss on the wood deck unless it’s blowing and everything is wet, the acid in the urine raises hell with the
caulking and if Arnie see’s you do it he’ll chew on your ass but good for 5 minutes and then think up some stupid nickname that you’ll be stuck with for the rest of the trip. The Skipper turned in a while ago so the Mate has the boat and Steve’s on wheel watch with him. Ron’s in his rack too so I’d suggest you just keep to the deck or Foc’sle for now. Oh yeah, You Stay The Hell Off The Bow Too!
Now laughing the Cook said, and by all means feel free to use the Head anytime you want but remember, it can give your ass a good washing when it’s rough. Delighted with his own humor Johnny turned to his bench and continued working on the huge pot of potatoes he’d been peeling.

Carl followed the cooks advise and stirred some canned milk in his coffee and ate an apple muffin and when finished he went back aft to relieve himself. After watching the empty sea and some birds go by for a few minutes he went down to the Foc’sle and climbed back in his bunk where in minutes he was lightly snoring once again. Carl was a very lucky man and he didn’t even know it, he wasn’t Seasick, not yet anyway.

The next time Carl opened his eyes was to the Skipper asking him if he’d puked yet. Gee thanks Arnie he thought, the Chief’s right, you sure can be an ass when you want. The Skipper was standing there holding a white porcelain mug of coffee that had no handle, none of the mugs did. Arnie’s hat was gone and the horseshoe of way too long salt and pepper hair under his bald dome was wildly sticking out in every direction. The Skipper must wear a plate as well because 3 of his stained teeth were now missing and with those blood shot eyes and a couple of days of beard on his face Arnie was anything but a handsome man, no wonder he was so pissy thought Carl.
Carl swung his legs over the board that kept him from rolling out of his bunk and just sat there. The Skipper must have been waiting for some type of reaction because he just stood there looking at Carl for a minute and getting none he turned and silently climbed the Foc’sle ladder as Carl continued to just sit there but now he was shaking his head as he watched him leave.

The Cook had begun setting the table for breakfast which is the absolute favorite meal of all Scallopers.
Carl had learned they all loved having the 12-6 watch because they got to come off deck to load up on their favorite meal of the day and turn in rather than waking up to eat then having go up on deck to bend over with bellies hanging full and elbows lower than their butts to clear the deck of the watches first of the many rock piles the drags would be dropping on deck over the next six hours of their morning watch.
The feast Johnny laid out would have done any first class breakfast buffet proud. Carl asked the cook, what, no Eggs Benedict? Johnny simply said, they don’t like the sauce but I’ll fresh make most requests they think up and this got Carl laughing and shaking his head while once again thinking, Fishermen!
Watching the busy cook Carl asked, hey Johnny what’s up with lining the table with wet paper towels? The all too busy Cook replied, it keeps the dishes from sliding around, now go find something to do cause I got lots of work here. Feeling like a child who’s just interrupted the teacher to ask a stupid question Carl got up poured himself a coffee and headed for the work deck.

Carl stumbled and cursed as he spilled a little coffee when the boat surged a bit off the slight swell that was coming in from the East off the Starboard rail. Gaining his balance he rounded the mast and took a seat on the forward hatch cover and began sipping from the mug of steaming coffee that was warming his hands.
After a few minutes the Chief showed up just as the first light of early morning made seeing out over the ocean possible and he stuck a grease gun and rag on his belt then without a word he rapidly ran up the mast to the port boom where he greased and checked the hanging block for the cargo hook, once done he quickly went over to the starboard boom to check and grease the other block.

While up there Ron yelled down, Hey Carl, we got a blow coming while pointing off behind the boat.
Carl got up and leaned over the Rail and he could see a black line on the horizon behind them.
The Skipper also got involved by shouting, we got a cold front backing in and Gale Warnings are posted for the next 36-48 hours, gotta love the Sou’westerlys of Autumn, by sundown things will start getting lively.

Continued…

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The Chief who was now back on deck further explained, this time of year when a Cold Front drops down from Canada there’s always a strong Southwest Wind working ahead of it, that’s the line of clouds you see back aft. Once the actual front passes the wind backs Nor’west to North and if we’re lucky it doesn’t blow too hard.
This front is stalling though so it’s gonna blow Sou’west pretty hard for a day at least.
During deep Winter it often brings savage winds, deep cold, and an icing spray with it.
This Cold Front is an odd one though because it’s coming in from the West Southwest not the Northwest and it has 40-50 knots winds with it, that’s why the Skipper said it’s backing in.
We weren’t expecting this so the boys will be out when breakfast is done to set the deck up for fishing and get things ready for heavy weather.
The helpful Chief continues, Johnny has to tighten up the galley for weather too and the meals will keep coming with plenty of food but don’t expect anything fancy as this breakfast that’s waiting below until the breeze let’s go.
When we finish eating you’ll be fine right where you are now so when we do come up just sit right here and watch what goes on, it won’t take but an hour or so, it’s better getting everything set up now rather than wait till we’re rolling rail to rail later on tonight…. Hey, secure your rack too, mind the stuff you don’t want broken and take a couple of those pills before we eat then take two more in 8 hours and so on. You’ll be glad you did, trust me.
Take what the Chief says out here as gospel remembers Carl and he’s wondering if he’s ever felt so nervous, nervous hell, has he ever been this scared in his entire life!??
Winds of 40-50 knots, how fast is that in normal people numbers?
Ron took a step forward and kicked Carls boot to snap him out of it, let’s go eat and make sure you fill your belly cause it’s a wild night and day coming for us, fun times! As Carl rose to go eat he realized the Chief wasn’t joking, he loves heavy weather….geeez.
As Carl moves forward he hears someone behind him, The Chief loves it up in the rigging, you won’t get me up there, no way! It’s Dave coming out of the wheelhouse, I think the crazy bastard goes up there to smoke weed when he’s off-watch….shhhh!
Carl just stands there with his mouth hanging open as Ron’s Dory Mate walks right on by without another word and disappears below deck.

Work in progress, to be continued……

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: words

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
Delighted with his own humor Johnny turned to his bench and continued working on the huge pot of potatoes he’d been peeling.

Funny how art imitates life or is it the other way around?

As I'm reading this I've got a pot of Taters on the stove for making mashed potatoes... to then be added with some eggs to make Potato Pancakes.

Don't know if that's some synchronicity 'thing-a-majob' or not.

Dude...

Sorry you didn't make the deadline, but you wrote one heck of a story there and I sure hope you not only finish it... but please consider re-entering any of our future Story Contests (usually less than a month from one another.

Johnny

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Had to giggle at this, I didn’t see it myself until you picked it up.
Stars in alignment…..LOL.
Johnny was a real person, was, and he was a first class cook aboard Scallops and it’s one of the toughest and most thankless jobs on the planet as far as I’m concerned! Day starts no later than 3 am and it’s go 100 mph till at least 9 pm at night with two 3 hours watches on deck between making 6 meals a day for 11 guys that are not the easiest bunch to please…..

Anyway, thank you Johnny!
You’ve been kinder than rules say you needed to be and I really appreciate it. Make no mistake.

I’ve just got started writing, well, aside from a few poems.

Wonder where it will go……

PS: Came back to this because I just realized that had I been quicker I could have finished it on a comical note…….GRRRR!

Like a leaf running out of time in Autumn it fluttered and fell to the ground to wither and die an all too early death…….oh well……😆

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: PS……duh

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
“ As Carl moves forward he hears someone behind him, The Chief loves it up in there in the rigging, you won’t get me up there no # way! It’s Dave coming out of the wheelhouse, I think the crazy bastard goes up there to smoke weed when he’s off-watch….shhhh!
Carl just stands there with his mouth hanging open as Ron’s Dory Mate walks right on by without another word and disappears below deck”.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

As with so many things during the trials and tribulations of life this story must now be brought to a close and like a leaf running out of time in late Autumn it must flutter and “Fall” to the ground to wither and die an all too early death.

You’ll just have to buy book #2 to read the excitingly deadly conclusion to “A Lonely Climb”.

Thank you for reading!

The End…

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Better late than never says I, never be afraid to adapt!

top topics

join