It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Supreme Court Says Police Officers Can Use Force When They Feel its Warranted.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

The thing is, the stuff like Floyd are an exception. In general, its the day to day stuff that wears you down.

Once i was almost backed into by a man driving in reverse on a one way. I laid on the horn, swerved, and gave a one finger salute. The dude chased me down and pulled me over by flashing a badge when he pulled next to me. Then threatened to arrest me and all sorts of things for shooting the finger to him for almost backing into me on a one way while my wife and kids were in the car. That is the day to day abuse of power that happens that needs to be dealt with. George Floyd? Made his bed.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Shooting a man lying prone in a hotel hallway is hard to defend against, even with immunity.

Yeah, that guy should have went to prison.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm saying these were individual cases which reached the Supreme Court. They were not "chosen" by anyone based on how they might affect policy. It sounded like that was what you were thinking.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Shooting a man lying prone in a hotel hallway is hard to defend against, even with immunity.

According to these two verdicts (and a long, long line of cases before them), there would be no qualified immunity in that instance. The act taken is so obviously illegal and unconstitutional to a reasonable person that qualified immunity does not engage.

That's the point i was trying to make. Qualified immunity is, well, qualified. It is not automatic.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
They were not "chosen" by anyone based on how they might affect policy.

Well, the Supreme Court picks and chooses based on what they think may need interpretation and in a way that does effect the application of future actions and/or policy. That's what I was trying to convey.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

True enough, but they also pick based on need for justice. I guess we were both just trying to convey something different.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Good point. Now if we could keep the flaming, and thoroughly bought off communist infiltrators out of our Judicial system we have a good chance to get back to "justice and fairness for all" instead of a select few being "above the law" with bogus protection from the people that we depend on to interpret the COTUS in rulings.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TheRedneck
They were not "chosen" by anyone based on how they might affect policy.

Well, the Supreme Court picks and chooses based on what they think may need interpretation and in a way that does effect the application of future actions and/or policy. That's what I was trying to convey.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Now if we could keep the flaming, and thoroughly bought off communist infiltrators out of our Judicial system we have a good chance to get back to "justice and fairness for all" instead of a select few being "above the law" with bogus protection from the people that we depend on to interpret the COTUS in rulings.

Looks like you didn't bother to check that this was a 9-0 ruling as this is the most common vote total.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Now if we could keep the flaming, and thoroughly bought off communist infiltrators out of our Judicial system we have a good chance to get back to "justice and fairness for all" instead of a select few being "above the law" with bogus protection from the people that we depend on to interpret the COTUS in rulings.

Looks like you didn't bother to check that this was a 9-0 ruling as this is the most common vote total.

Right. Because the red team and the blue team, as you call them, are working together. As I have been trying to point out for years on ATS. But that 9-0 stuff is not your everyday experience with the rulings is it?

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 06:49 AM
link   

But that 9-0 stuff is not your everyday experience with the rulings is it?

I just told you it's the most common type of ruling.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   
They've been using force when warranted. The Supreme Court needs to let it be known that anyone involved in showing edited videos or reporting edited news that covers up the truth will be disciplined accordingly with time in prison, including politicians who jump the gun and speak on the matter before a trial takes place. That's one of the biggest distractions the jurors face, and the subliminal threats of continued violence if one innocent man wasn't charged with murder should have also landed Biden, Harris, Waters, and others behind bars.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, I have found a reason to disagree then.

A quick review of the score card on rulings

In the term that ran from the fall of 2018 to the summer of 2019, the breakdown was 36% 9-0 rulings, 21% 5-4 rulings, and 43% any other ruling.

Put a different way, in most years, the share of 9-0 rulings amounted to a plurality. Even in the years when it wasn’t a plurality, 9-0 rulings accounted for 30% to 40% of decisions.

But that 9-0 stuff is not your everyday experience with the rulings is it?

I just told you it's the most common type of ruling.

edit on 20-10-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
The Supreme Court needs to let it be known that anyone involved in showing edited videos or reporting edited news that covers up the truth will be disciplined accordingly with time in prison, including politicians who jump the gun and speak on the matter before a trial takes place.

The Supreme Court cannot set out statutory punishment guidelines, they only interpret Constitutional Law.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Thanks for pulling data that backs up what I already read.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
The Supreme Court needs to let it be known that anyone involved in showing edited videos or reporting edited news that covers up the truth will be disciplined accordingly with time in prison, including politicians who jump the gun and speak on the matter before a trial takes place.

The Supreme Court cannot set out statutory punishment guidelines, they only interpret Constitutional Law.

Agreed. That is why the vetting of each was so important. To let either party put their people in is an issue. It should have always been about someone dedicated to the COTUS who was a Judge considered for that court.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 07:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Justoneman

Thanks for pulling data that backs up what I already read.

But misinterpreted.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

That is why the vetting of each was so important.

The vetting process is almost entirely perfunctory, if one party's nominee has the majority they are in.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   

But misinterpreted.

What part of the me saying that 9-0 is the most common vote total was wrong? Those are the facts.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

But misinterpreted.

What part of the me saying that 9-0 is the most common vote total was wrong? Those are the facts.

well so is 5-4.

that is the point. It more often is NOT 9-0 was my point. Other than 9-0 had a duality with 9-0 was my point.

For me it is about right and wrong and I see things in that light. Correct to rule by COTUS, but incorrect to rewrite laws like Roberts basically did on Obamacare IMO.

posted on Oct, 20 2021 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0
I support law enforcement personally and professionally. There are some really good people in ranks. That said, there are also quite a few that are at least problematic and at worst thugs with badges that bend or break rules at will.

I watched the George Floyd footage several times, read the reasoning from all sides and come back to my first instinct which was that regardless of what GF did or didn't do, he was killed by a callas group of cops that deserved a guilty verdict all day long. If you're that threatened or fearful of the job and what it entails, you need to go do something else, your life is not more valuable than anyone else's and you should be held to a higher standard because you're given more trust and power over citizens (which shouldn't be the case either frankly). Policing is very different than it was just 20 or 30 years ago and not in a good way.

We mock the left for their all or nothing blind support of every single instance and yet if we're going to defend them all just as blindly, we're no better.

You may have watched the footage, but you must have skipped the trial. It was clearly explained that when someone is that high, they'll basically go dormant for a minute or two and then kick back up in a rush of adrenaline which is why Chauvin continued to keep his knee on Floyd's shoulder and the other police continued to keep him held down. Floyd was so high he literally wormed out of the cop car with 3 police trying to hold him down AND he was handcuffed. You really should have watched the trial, it showed an entirely different story and scene.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join