It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Teachers In Texas Have A Book On The Holocaust, They Must Have One With An Opposing Viewpoint

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So apparently in Texas due to the new law of House bill 3979, if a teacher wants to have a book on the Holocaust such as Number The Stars, they must have one with an opposing viewpoint. I personally don't know any with an opposing viewpoint, and if there were, I highly doubt it would be appropriate for kids.

But, here we are. A teacher recorded the meeting.

A Carroll staff member secretly recorded the Friday training and shared the audio with NBC News.

“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response. 

I grabbed the first link I found, so it may be bashed, but here you go.

NBC

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So you're saying if you have a history book

They need to also have works of fiction.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

There's plenty, it started right after the war in 1948. Maurice Bardèche: Nuremberg ou la Terre promise "Nuremberg or the Promised Land".

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I think the operative word is "widely debated". While I know there are some holocaust deniers, it would be a stretch to say it is widely debated. It is kind of like saying you have to give equal time to flat earthers when talking about earth being round.

Using the holocaust isn't a good example and probably not the intent of the bill.

A more apt example would be man-made global warming where there are plenty of scientific detractors and critics. Or eve c19. Or any major political issue with multiple viewpoints.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So. “Mein Kampf” back in reading rotation?

Today’s woke, tomorrow’s dehumanization….

Our grandfathers are rolling their WW2 era graves atm.

Also: what’s the foil to Anne Frank? They leave a diary?

edit on 14-10-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Well, if you really wanted to know, check out this guy, he has a few publications.

Paul Rassinier.

en.wikipedia.org...

Known as the father of holocaust denial. Don't really want to get into his works, but at the bottom of the wiki page he has a few publications where he expresses his skepticism of the holocaust.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   

My guess is the bill was an attempt to keep one sided views from being taught in classrooms.

And like all debates, Goodwins law comes into play.

No one is ever going to agree on a uniform template for teaching kids, it will remain a constant debate.

If we really want to go to the extreme and discuss opposing viewpoints for the holocaust... I've personally gone down that rabbit hole and think it's fine. Maybe not appropriate for kids, maybe that's for teenagers or later... But one should be able to hear all ways and become more and more in accord with their own.

Meaning, the holocaust was so horrific, it's widely agreed on it was bad. But it's still important to get in the mind of Nazis to see how they got there to prevent it in the future.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is a consequence of the "Law of unintended Consequences"

The opposition to Christian views was the whole reason for this to be put into place. They didn't want one religion or view point to be held exclusively like the Darwinian theory clashing with the Bible had two religions involved Christianity and the Gia worshipers to give them a name (maybe not the right one IKR?). Both of them are worthy to be presented. It is lost on people that the Bible didn't give the details of how the people came to be other than from what we are made. The need to avoid one sided narratives is how this started.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You beat me to it. Good post.

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

My guess is the bill was an attempt to keep one sided views from being taught in classrooms.

And like all debates, Goodwins law comes into play.

No one is ever going to agree on a uniform template for teaching kids, it will remain a constant debate.

If we really want to go to the extreme and discuss opposing viewpoints for the holocaust... I've personally gone down that rabbit hole and think it's fine. Maybe not appropriate for kids, maybe that's for teenagers or later... But one should be able to hear all ways and become more and more in accord with their own.

Meaning, the holocaust was so horrific, it's widely agreed on it was bad. But it's still important to get in the mind of Nazis to see how they got there to prevent it in the future.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wonder if she got this idea from china joe's build-back-better plan?

China probably has figured out by now they can't just cover up the massive genocide they've been working on, so now we need to teach students that sometimes its okay, as long as its in the name of communism?

Honestly I think I *could* be onto something, but it's hard to follow the logic.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes I am actually aware you could find books in support of the Holocaust as an opposing view, however this is pretty ridiculous. I understand no one wants CRT taught in schools, but again this is almost opposite extremism. I understand we don't want one sided views, but in the case of slavery, the Holocaust and Indigenous people for U.S. purposes only, the opposing view is usually rife with hatred of another group of human beings.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Just gonna say it, but many on the elite Left are anti-Semites and closet fascists.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   

There are hundreds of "opposing" viewpoints. As AM says, it started almost before the soldiers got home.

Willis Corto. Ernst Zundel. Paul Rassinier. There are, unfortunately, many others. Most of them parrot each other in an almost incestuous manner.

Many are attempts to rehabilitate Hitler. Many others are virulently anti-Jewish. More than a few, both. They're disturbing reading.

Deborah Lipstadt writes about them extensively in her works. I would suggest reading her works for a clearer picture of Holocaust denial.

Hopefully this law is given short shrift.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Thanks.

I'm a native Texan... So there's a special place in my heart for that great state.

But the education system there has ramifications across the country. So this is a discussion that is important to everyone.

Texas has the most school systems, so textbook producers cater to Texas, and subsequently the whole nation.

The Nazi debate here is a cop out to stray from one sided teaching. And while I agree we shouldn't minimize one of the worse crimes in humanity, it doesn't mean we settle for nerfing intellectual exploration for our youth out of fear. Do that here for this issue, and it will have ramifications on others.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Im sure my view may seem controversial but I feel it's well worth digging into the real facts around that time. There's an interesting video called Eouropa, the Last Battle which offers a much less propogandized version of the events related to that period.

Another participant on this site has posted it a few weeks ago and I was truly surprised because much of the tactics used by zionist communist are in use today.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   

What is controversial about the holocausts?

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   

It was only a couple of years ago that holocaust denial was antisemitic and would get you banned from SM. In the worst cases, you'd receive a visit from the police.

How quickly things change when there is a power grab in motion.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Justoneman

Thanks.

I'm a native Texan... So there's a special place in my heart for that great state.

But the education system there has ramifications across the country. So this is a discussion that is important to everyone.

Texas has the most school systems, so textbook producers cater to Texas, and subsequently the whole nation.

The Nazi debate here is a cop out to stray from one sided teaching. And while I agree we shouldn't minimize one of the worse crimes in humanity, it doesn't mean we settle for nerfing intellectual exploration for our youth out of fear. Do that here for this issue, and it will have ramifications on others.

I’m not a native Texan, however, lived here for 40 years and everything you say is correct. I also believe in separation of church and state. Problem is Christianity does their very best to be a part of and control governmental policies. Because for whatever reason, Texas seems to be the center of the universe when it comes to the selection of public school books, they load the deck by organizing church members to vote in people who will select books obviously as much pro christian as possible. Their attempt to their own version of what amounts to a sharia type law based upon Christianity.

Not sure how that falls into this conversation regarding the holocaust, just adding some background so some else may be able to make better sense of the situation.

Denny

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   

If you can’t see the common sense in teaching any opposing views of any topic you are denying a fact
People have different opinions, they should be taught and explained in detail, for what they are. Celebrate ignorance?

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

What is controversial about the holocausts?

There are jab pushers on some forums claiming that Zyclon B was just a delousing agent...

I think that tells us all we need to know about these people. Holocaust denial is being promoted to distract youngsters from spotting the similarities to what's happening today.

I honestly think we are hitting a massive roadblock here.

Something's gotta give.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join