It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Advice for me battling Home Owners Insurance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I know some of you have been through this, so any advice is welcomed.

We are in the middle of filing a claim. Water seeping through the roof and now a little mold damage.

I know there are things you should say or not say to get a claim paid. Should I just assume it will be denied at first and have to fight it.
The one good thing i have going on my side is that two neighbors have had storm damage to their roofs so that might help my cause.

On an odd note, in all my years and many many many houses (I think I’ve lived in close to 40 houses!!!) I’ve never filed an insurance claim.
edit on 14-10-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ask your agent. He will refer you to the adjuster, but he should know what's covered, and what isn't. I do believe there is a difference in a roof leak and say a pipe leak. One is covered, and one is under "flood" insurance, which unless you live in a flood plane, you likely don't have. Ask the folks who know.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
We are in the middle of filing a claim. Water seeping through the roof and now a little mold damage.

Wind damage followed by water infiltration should be covered. I had it happen in my home and got a payout.

Not that I would advocate insurance fraud but make sure that the roof/flashing damage clearly (
) shows evidence of wind damage.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Today looks like a good day to climb the roof!

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I do believe there is a difference in a roof leak and say a pipe leak. One is covered, and one is under "flood" insurance, which unless you live in a flood plane, you likely don't have. Ask the folks who know.

I had both happen and got a payout for both without flood insurance.

Flood insurance won't cover a busted sump pump, or water seeping in/up through the foundation/slab. But when the water main broke before the gate valve I got reimbursed for everything.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Today looks like a good day to climb the roof!

Make offerings to the Old Gods and the New Gods that you don't have to bring a snow shovel.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Ask your agent. He will refer you to the adjuster, but he should know what's covered, and what isn't. I do believe there is a difference in a roof leak and say a pipe leak. One is covered, and one is under "flood" insurance, which unless you live in a flood plane, you likely don't have. Ask the folks who know.

I remember from living in Florida it was very important to word thing correctly.
You couldn’t say “flood” per say, you have to say seepage or some nonsense like that.
Asking the agent is like asking the wolf guarding the hen house.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Wind damage followed by water infiltration should be covered. I had it happen in my home and got a payout.

Not that I would advocate insurance fraud but make sure that the roof/flashing damage clearly (
) shows evidence of wind damage.

This was my case as well.

Also, insurance companies apparently have some sort of system in which they track natural disasters and storm damages. When I called my insurance companies they were already aware that a storm had happen in the area and wanted to help as fast as possible. They put us in a hotel and us 10K on the spot for damages.

It was surreal experience, I thought I was in for a big fight but everything got sorted out in a matter of hours.
edit on 14-10-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I hope she does get paid. I had heard that before when I had some small damage from leaky roof. Which is why I suggested she ask someone who knows. Not a random ATS person.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I hope she does get paid. I had heard that before when I had some small damage from leaky roof. Which is why I suggested she ask someone who knows. Not a random ATS person.

We're not random, we've been here a combined 27 years.

edit on 14-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I had this issue. Ended dropping the claim and hiring a local contractor. It sucked but the deductible was about the same. I could have fixed it myself but not worth my time.

Also when you file a claim your insurance will go up so you end up paying more long term than if you would have just paid out of pocket. Sometimes the costs is too great. That's the purpose of insurance, like a tree smashing half your roof.

Smaller stuff it is best to suck it up financially if it's close to the deductible and pay for it.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Also when you file a claim your insurance will go up so you end up paying more long term than if you would have just paid out of pocket.

If you're smart you're shopping your insurance every couple of years so it goes down. I'm paying basically the same rate I was when I bought my home in 2005.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

ATS hasn’t failed me yet!

I asked advice on a coffee maker - got the best one ever
I asked advice on a mattress - got the best one ever

I’ve never had a claim before and have not heard good things about home insurance companies. Maybe there won’t be a fight at all, and that would be great. If there is I’d Iike to know ahead of time experiences people might have had. I also don’t necessarily want to blast in on FB.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Make sure you mention the wind/storm intensity and then the subsequent noticing of water infiltration, the adjuster will be able to tell that it's new and push for full remediation, no patching of the substrate, you want replacement as to not worry about mold.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Smaller stuff it is best to suck it up financially if it's close to the deductible and pay for it.

I totally agree, but this I don’t think is going to be small if the roof is involved.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Make sure you mention the wind/storm intensity and then the subsequent noticing of water infiltration, the adjuster will be able to tell that it's new and push for full remediation, no patching of the substrate, you want replacement as to not worry about mold.

I actually have a photo that looks almost like a tornado in my backyard, maybe I can use that as evidence

Two neighbors got their roofs replaced and one was having it inspected, I hope that at least helps my cause!

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Also when you file a claim your insurance will go up so you end up paying more long term than if you would have just paid out of pocket.

If you're smart you're shopping your insurance every couple of years so it goes down. I'm paying basically the same rate I was when I bought my home in 2005.

True. The issue is not all insurances are equal. The more expensive ones, you are paying a premium for premium service like anything else. Usually not a problem until a massive environmental disaster like a hurricane. The homes with the top dog insurance get repaired first. Everyone else gonna suffer for a while. I have seen this happen during Katrina. The high dollar policies were getting fixed first.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I had a house that I bought and I wanted flood insurance.
I was told that I didn't need flood insurance because I didn't
live in a flood zone.You will never guess what happened in
2006? Three levees broke and my neighborhood was flooded
out.
I was one of the more fortunate owners,there was very little
flood damage to my home.We were in the middle of remodeling
and all of the carpets had been pulled up.The water had only
flooded my crawl space and my out door air compressor.
I sold the house as a fixer upper just three days after listing.
There was no help from insurance or FEMA that I can remember.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The more expensive ones, you are paying a premium for premium service like anything else.

I have the same coverage and you can shop all of them. Your premium goes up every year regardless if you file a claim.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The more expensive ones, you are paying a premium for premium service like anything else.

I have the same coverage and you can shop all of them. Your premium goes up every year regardless if you file a claim.

You don't have the same coverage as me. I have premium insurance. They respond immediately. No waiting. Not even after a hurricane. I get the best contractors. I hate paying it but I live in a storm area and near a river. Gotta have it. My neighbor on the other hand is scratching his head why my stuff gets fixed faster while he is waiting for months.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join