It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to fix the economy and lack of employees

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I’ve read some really stupid things lately.

One article says we should pay people bonuses to go back to work.

NO NO NO. We need to stop treating the lazy like royalty. We’ve got the employment thing flipped upside down and it is so dumb.
You know how you get people back to work? There are several ways, but here are the two best.

A. You do not give money to people not working.
B. You give money to people already working.

Shall I elaborate? You don’t tell people hey we’ll give you an 2000 sign on bonus. That is stupid. What you do is you give you hard working employees that have been busting their chops this entire time a 10,000 retention bonus. They will blab all about it, and the people at home getting nothing will start to feel bad and might want to get back in the work force. By giving people a sign on bonus it is just encouraging people to quit, get another job, quit etc.

Some of these place just need to pay better. Is there any adult that can survive on $11 an hour? That is what local farms are offering. That is not a teen job either due to the hour. There is no way any adult can make a living off of that. Someone mentioned housing needs to come down. It’s not coming down that much, so pay need to increase.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
One article says we should pay people bonuses to go back to work.

Why not? Signing bonuses are on the hiring company, my wife just got one for switching her long time job of 14 years along with an nice increase. There are not enough people in the area in her field and she has the leverage. Why not take advantage of it.

There are roughly 10,000,000 open positions and around 8,000,000 people looking for work, it's simple supply and demand.

edit on 14-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   
People will go to work and accept reality. Being an adult sucks by and large. Over time however life can improve. Voting for politicians that promise UBI, housing, healthcare, college, welfare and food sounds great but those are lies. Life does not work like that at all. Keep voting for those things and society will fall apart just like it is right now. Everyone goes to the poor house. People will commit crimes, murder, starve then a war breaks out and millions die. Then we finally start over with lots and lots of new jobs; professional hole diggers.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Why not? Signing bonuses are on the hiring company, my wife just got one for switching her long time job of 14 years along with an nice increase. There are not enough people in the area in her field and she has the leverage. Why not take advantage of it.

She should take advantage of it, and that’s great for her on an individual level. Overall that’s not good for companies or our society. We are playing musical chairs with an entire workforce.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Overall that’s not good for companies or our society.

How do you know? If the company in question feels the ROI is there then the investment makes sense for them.

We are playing musical chairs with an entire workforce.

Considering very few companies have a pension plan people need to constantly monitor their workplace value. If another company is going to pay you more, whether that is salary, bonus, commission and/or benefits, then you would be foolish not to take advantage of that.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If they want people to go back to work, this would be a good start.

increase pay
No pointless mask requirements
No vaccine mandates
Offer more paid vacation days

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

How do you know? If the company in question feels the ROI is there then the investment makes sense for them.

How do I know? I open my eyes in the morning!

I can’t get someone to paint, I can’t get a coffee from the shop, I can’t my lawn aerated, My financial advisor is short on time. I talk to friends that have all changed jobs in the last two years, but had previously been with a company for 10.

I wholeheartedly agree people need to know their worth and a keep a pulse on that.

Yes companies might feel like their ROI is x amount, but as we’ve seen, no employees NO company!
It is truly the goose that laid the gold egg story! You kill the goose, or in this case, make the goose go to a better paying job!

Don’t get me wrong, all companies have employee turnover and that is good to keep fresh things going, the problem is when there is huge turnover. Those employees are taking tenure and a lot of value with them. In lower level jobs, it just creates instability. The pension discussion is a whole other topic in itself.
edit on 14-10-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

How do I know? I open my eyes in the morning!

I can’t get someone to paint, I can’t get a coffee from the shop, I can’t my lawn aerated, My financial advisor is short on time. I talk to friends that have all changed jobs in the last two years, but had previously been with a company for 10.

That's not what I asked you, I asked how can you know that businesses offering a signing bonuses don't feel the ROI is worthwhile, not whether you can't get your landscaping work done. If that is your challenge then your landscaper needs to pay more which means they will charge you more.

It is truly the goose that laid the gold egg story! You kill the goose, or in this case, make the goose go to a better paying job!

I'm not following this, it almost sounds like you're bemoaning the fact that people have switched to a better paying position.

edit on 14-10-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
If they want people to go back to work, this would be a good start.

increase pay
No pointless mask requirements
No vaccine mandates
Offer more paid vacation days

Increasing pay will not work. We have resource constraints because people keep voting for things they did not earn. All it will do is raise prices because it's straining tax payers. Once that is done people with money check out of the economy destabilizing things even more. That's ok though because the system will fix itself. The people that clean up murder scenes for example. It's a sucky job but they are extremely busy right now.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We have a perfect storm here. We're paying people not to work, and at the same time we have a younger generation of people who feel like they either shouldn't have to work, or have a grossly inflated sense of self-worth in the workforce. Throw a great big, GIANT, "excuse" like a faux-pandemic into the middle of this equation and you've got armageddon in the workforce.

JAG, I agree with your first point...stop paying people not to work. Period. Across the board. Unemployment benefits are based on monies paid. Exhaust the benefit and either go on welfare, or get a job...else you don't eat! Hunger is a strong motivator.

Of course, I'm sure I'm probably categorized as a radical-assed, rabid, conservative too!

edit on 10/14/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Exactly. I wanted a lot of things when I was a poor young man. It sucked living in a trailer park, paying for college myself but I eventually upgraded to an old crack house then to a nicer apartment. Then on to a nicer rental home and finally bought my own. Even upgraded it with a lap pool and home gym.

Unfortunately too many people refuse to live in a beat up trailer. They want the house with the pool and the gym up front. If they don't get it they live with mommy and daddy. When that doesn't work out they start voting for things they did not earn and point fingers at me as the problem.

No. They are the problem. They are the real pandemic right now.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I'm not following this, it almost sounds like you're bemoaning the fact that people have switched to a better paying position.

Not at all. I do think that people should be free to leave at any time to get a better job yes.
The problem especially recently, is unfortunately that is the only way some people can get an increase and it would be insane for then to actually stay in a job.

If a company is giving a bonus to all new hires, what would happen if they just gave that to their long time employees? What would happen if all companies did that? Would there be less job hopping?

Exactly right with the landscaper, they need to pay more, which will charge me more, but at least I would have a service.
Right now they have 0 dollars from me because they can’t provide a service.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
As for signing bonuses, I don't really have an issue with these provided they're not some gimmick (which many are. Not all, but many.). Dangle the signing bonus carrot, get someone to sign, and then give them the stick...that's not right, and it doesn't help anyone.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wages are a function of supply and demand of workers.

Right now the supply of workers is low for a variety of reasons so businesses are having to pay more whether it is salaries, wages, bonuses, etc to attract workers.

This supply imbalance is from pandemic and related policies.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

If a company is giving a bonus to all new hires, what would happen if they just gave that to their long time employees?

LOL. What planet do you live on where your employer just goes, "Here, have some cash!"? When I feel I'm due a raise I negotiate for one using metrics and achieved goals. If I feel I'm not getting what I warrant I'm looking for a new role.

You need to create value and then advocate for yourself. My wife left her last role for just this reason, she wasn't being paid what she thought was commensurate for her role. She changed her LinkedIn settings and had three offers in two weeks and took the one that she felt was best. Should people for sorry for the company? That's on them.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Right now the supply of workers is low for a variety of reasons so businesses are having to pay more whether it is salaries, wages, bonuses, etc to attract workers.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

That’s the problem I’m seeing, these companies are willing to attract workers, but aren’t doing a whole lot to retain them. What good is attracting people if you have an equal amount leaving?

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Wages are a function of supply and demand of workers.

This is exactly what I said earlier.

If you're in a role now it is exactly the time you should be negotiating for an increase or looking for a new, better paying position.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Signing bonuses are necessary to attract talent that in most cases may already be employed. My wife negotiates them anytime she changes jobs when she is recruited. The employee may be walking g away from other benefits such as invested RSUs or a year end bonus. The recruiting company has to offer a package that is on par or better to get someone to change jobs.

Retention bonuses are used when employers know their employees are being targeted.

Companies offer crap benefits and wages when there is a high supply if workers... hence minimum. Wage jobs. The jobs are low skilled and easily replaceable.

What is happening now is that the workers who would normally be in those low skilled jobs are being subsidized now to not work by feds creating a supply imbalance so restaurants and retail can't find workers. They have to raise salaries which is fine but it puts pressure on prices as those businesses weren't built around workers 15 or more and hour. Not too mention slower sales from pandemic. Lower sales and higher costs is not a good recipe for profitabilty.
edit on 14-10-2021 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think you need to break this discussion down into two separate pieces.

a.) Employee retention

b.) People not wanting to work

I think these are two distinctly separate issues, with different considerations and solutions.

Here's something you may be missing. Many construction trades have more work right now than they can handle. I've been wanting to hire a stone mason for a couple years now (stone work is something I just don't do). They'll talk to me, but because there are other trades involved (like framing, and mechanical work, and roofing work) they all wave off. They're willing to do the stone work only. Most of these guys are buried. And the ones you want to do the work are the ones who aren't jacking their prices up to the Moon just because they can.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   

LOL. What planet do you live on where your employer just goes, "Here, have some cash!"? When I feel I'm due a raise I negotiate for one using metrics and achieved goals. If I feel I'm not getting what I warrant I'm looking for a new role.

I live on planet reality where I am seeing business closing due to no workers. It is obvious what companies are doing right now isn’t working.

Yes I know how to advocate for myself, that has truly been the least of my problems in my career life.
You are absolutely making my point. You said your wife was not being paid what she thought was commensurate for her role, so she left, with all her tenure. If they paid her what her new company is paying she would probably have stayed (maybe not, but just for salary purposes) Now take your wife, and imagine a whole workforce like that.

What you have is like I said, musical chairs!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join